• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new DT guide, improments and suggestion needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I took a stab at editing it a little as It was useful to me. I hope I am not stepping on toes.

I all my edits are in green.

Welcome to the much needed Water-cooling Heat-load Explanation.

A water-cooled PC, or any pc, generates heat. Some parts produce massive amounts of heat due to the incredible number of calculations needed to give us what we crave, realistic games, Folding for our future, and decoding DVDs for our own personal use. I'm going to focus on two parts of your PC, the CPU and the GPU. These are the main hot parts we need to cool. I'll touch on a few other critical issues you need to understand as I hack my way through this.

Why Am I Doing This?

I used to teach electronics to young folks, I've been water cooling for a few years, so I think I can help get the concept of Heat-load across to any new person looking to expand their knowledge and build a really nice rig. Understanding the big picture, answering the eternal Forum question, "What stuff do I need to cool my rig". I'll try to answer this.

Most importantly, I need to say if it wasn't for all the testers who post scientific tests and not hack reviews this post wouldn't exist. These are people who for science and curiosity spent $100s++ of their own money and time building testing rigs, and COUNTLESS hours of their personal time to inform us, the uniformed public. I thank you Martin and Skinnee, you're an amazing part of our water cooling world.

Past the garbage, on to the important stuff.

Okay, you've got an xx processor. How much heat does it generate under load? Heat is produced by the voltage and the amperage draw your CPU needs. Increasing voltage really increases your heat-load as do your overclocks. If a CPU uses 200 watts of power, about 80% to 90% will be lost as heat as the work is done in the CPU. It's deep electronic stuff, just go with it okay? You have to remove the heat.

You can describe your created heat-load in three ways (or activities):
1. Basic cruzin the web
2. Gaming
3. Benching for the best overclocks

Also, understand the following three important things, all of them come into play when determining how to deal with said heat:
1. Your budget
2. Acceptable noise levels
3. What can you fit in your case

Determining your heat-load isn't a perfect science. You'll find numbers all over the place from what you have learned from reading lots of info, Googling terms like "heat-load i7 965", "AMD xxx", "Q6600 overclocked", etc. Reading 3-7 pages of Google, and following links within the Goggle links, you should have an idea of what wattage you need to cool for your CPU and/or GPU.

CPU heat-load

For example, I remember a Q6600 at 3.9 was 150 watts MAX. An i7 at 4.0 is 250 watts. Right now, as I type, my i7 965 stock is at 80 watts. My peak load is 340 watts, but for a very, very short time. So take the min/max with a grain of salt. These are max testing loads, so real world is a bit lower if you're a big gamer. I'm making a point, it's a lot of heat and you need to remove it. I use 250 watts as my stress wattage for calculations on MY chip.

GPU Heat-load

GPU's are a big issue now. Some are moving to water-cooling, having never done it before, just because their GPU screams like a undead banshee when gaming etc. I have these neat links from another forum. From what others have said these folks did a TON of work and are trusted. They were able to look at JUST the GPU heat-loads on many cards, not full system power, which we all can do with a watt meter.

Bookmark it!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635806

Please, I ask you to attempt to understand your heat-load before we move on.

How basic WC works in relation to heat-load.

We generate xx amount of heat. The heat is transferred to the water via the blocks. The cooler the water, the more heat is transferred. As the water heats up the heat is removed by the radiator. The more efficient the fan/radiator combination is, the cooler the water. The cooler the water, the cooler your parts. So simple. Basic water-cooling uses a pump, res, a block, a radiator, AND ambient air temp. Our water can be no cooler than the air temp. A room at 12C will keep the chips much cooler than a room at 30C. Remember that statement. Summers are much hotter and many back off on their overclocks in the summer. Funny thought, I just realized more people mention chilled water, mini fridges, etc., in the summer.

Finally to Delta T (DT) and why it's so important to understand it.

DT is the foundation of your WC loop. The better your DT, the cooler your chips are. In water-cooling DT is simply the difference between the ambient air temp and the water temp on the outgoing side of the rad. Room temp vs. water temp, that's it. You can't remove all the heat nor can you go below ambient room temp.

When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water temp AND your CPU are at room temp. You boot the PC up, the chip gets hot FAST. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and SOME of the heat is removed. Not all can be removed. You have to know thermodynamics deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time, the water reaches a balance, an equilibrium is reached. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized. If you change the room temp, the load, or your fan speed the loop needs to readjust. If you increase your cooling system, the water WILL get cooler, better chip temps.

Water temps in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. Only 2-3C difference between the radiator out temp and the CPU out temp. Remember, the water can't remove all the heat, just some, and some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way, it's a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part effects the other.

Now that DT and loop stability is explained, let's talk about what a good DT is.

A CPU loop needs good DT. Under 10C is just fine, getting closer to 5C is very nice and important if you want big overclocks. Getting under 5C is just overdoing it, unless you're very extreme, need it for benching or just want to do it. On an average CPU loop shoot for under 10C and adjust your overclocks to be fine, under the temps suggested by the makers.

A GPU loop used to be fine with a 15 to 20C DT. If you're a big overclocker on your GPUs, then shoot for 15C or lower. The VRMs (DEFINITION?) on these new cards can be affected by temps. If you've got a GTX 280 like me, don't worry about it, it's the 5970s and the 480s and other really hot cards that can have this issue.

So, how do you calculate all of this?
A bit of math, figuring out graphs, easy. LOL, jk. Took me more than a few attempts to do it, but you can easily do it with help. Thanks to Martin (retired) and Skinnee we have the data. Bless them.

Let's go with my CPU standard of 250 watts and this link. Link to it, please, then go to page 4. Read it all when you get a chance.

http://www.skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-sr1360.html?page=4
This is a quality radiator with low fins per inch, great for low RPM, low noise fans.

Go to the second chart, use the RED line. It's a good quality, popular, well performing fan at 1407 RPM, good middle ground. At the bottom of the chart find 250 watts, go up to the red line. WOW We have a 5.5 DT, very nice. Remember my comment about a CPU likes low DT but a GPU doesn't need it as much? Let's toss a 250 watt GPU into the same loop, Res-Pump-Rad-CPU-GPU. Look what happens to the DT, it's over 11DT now. Your CPU isn't happy anymore, but the GPU is just fine. In this case you're under radded and need to split the loop or get your DT under control with more fannage, a better high FPI radiator choice AND new/more fans, or just more radiator square area.

This is where my earlier entry matters.

1. Your budget

In many situations splitting the loop is so much easier, but costs a LOT more, keeping the CPU temp low on it's own loop and having a bigger DT loop just for the GPU. Sorry, but many of us do have a massive GPU setup these days. You wanna play right with water-cooling? You pay. You can easily go past your budget once you start. It's amazing what a proper water-cooling setup costs.

Lots start out with the wrong radiator type or much too little radiator. Some think they can live with the high speed fans, but end up buying another radiator and trying to fit it in the case, which brings me to #3. Many times you just have to accept your beloved case isn't going to work, or you're going to have to hang rads on the outside, or even make a separate rad box. You can't trick physics and think you don't need all the radiators you actually do need.

In summary, do your homework, plan for your rig and the 1 year out rig. You see another GPU in crossfire? Plan now.

Your DT matters, it's worth the effort to understand.

Same as above but in code so it can be copied:
Code:
[PLAIN]
[B][SIZE="5"]Welcome to the much needed Water-cooling Heat-load Explanation.[/SIZE][/B]

A water-cooled PC[COLOR="SeaGreen"], or any pc,[/COLOR] generates heat. Some parts [COLOR="SeaGreen"]produce [/COLOR]massive amounts of heat due[COLOR="SeaGreen"] to the incredible number of calculations needed to give us what we crave,[/COLOR] realistic games, Folding for our future, and decoding DVDs for our own personal use. I'm going to focus on two parts of your PC, the CPU and the GPU. These are the main hot parts we need to cool. I'll touch on a few other [COLOR="SeaGreen"]critical[/COLOR] issues you need to understand as I hack my way through this.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Why Am I Doing This?[/COLOR]

I used to teach electronics to young folks, [COLOR="SeaGreen"]I've[/COLOR] been water cooling for a few years, so I think I can help get the concept  [COLOR="SeaGreen"]of Heat-load[/COLOR] across to any new person looking to expand their knowledge and build a really nice rig. Understanding the big picture, answering the eternal Forum question, "What stuff do I need to cool my rig". I'll try to answer this.

Most importantly, I need to say if it wasn't for all the testers who post scientific tests and not hack reviews this post wouldn't exist. These are people who for science and curiosity spent $100s++ of their own money and time building testing rigs, and COUNTLESS hours of their personal time to inform us, the uniformed public. I thank you Martin and Skinnee, you're an amazing part of our water cooling world.

Past the garbage, on to the important stuff.

Okay, you've got an xx processor. How much heat does it [COLOR="SeaGreen"]generate [/COLOR]under load? Heat is [COLOR="SeaGreen"]produced by[/COLOR] the voltage and the amperage draw your CPU needs. Increasing voltage really increases your heat-load as do your overclocks. If a CPU uses 200 watts of power, about 80% to 90% will be lost as heat as the work is done in the CPU. It's deep electronic stuff, just go with it okay? You have to remove the heat.

You can [COLOR="SeaGreen"]describe [/COLOR]your created heat-load in three ways [COLOR="SeaGreen"](or activities)[/COLOR]:
1. Basic cruzin the web
2. Gaming

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Also, understand the following three important things, all of them come into play when determining how to deal with said heat:[/COLOR]
1. Your budget

Determining your heat-load isn't a perfect science. You'll find numbers all over the place from what you have learned from reading lots of info, Googling terms like "heat-load i7 965", "AMD xxx", "Q6600 overclocked", etc. Reading 3-7 pages of Google, and following links within the Goggle links, you should have an idea of what wattage you need to cool for your CPU and/or GPU.

CPU heat-load

For example, I remember a Q6600 at 3.9 was 150 watts MAX. An i7 at 4.0 is 250 watts. Right now, as I type, my i7 965 stock is at 80 watts. My peak load is 340 watts, but for a very, very short time. So take the min/max with a grain of salt. These are max testing loads, so real world is a bit lower if you're a big gamer. I'm making a point, it's a lot of heat and you need to remove it. I use 250 watts as my stress wattage for calculations on MY chip.

GPU Heat-load

GPU's are a big issue now. Some are moving to water-cooling, having never done it before, just because their GPU screams like a undead banshee when gaming etc. I have these neat links from another forum. From what others have said these folks did a TON of work and are trusted. They were able to look at JUST the GPU heat-loads on many cards, not full system power, which we all can do with a watt meter.

Bookmark it!
[url]http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635806[/url]

Please, I ask you to attempt to understand your heat-load before we move on.

How basic WC works in relation to heat-load.

We generate xx [COLOR="SeaGreen"]amount [/COLOR]of heat. The heat is transferred to the water [COLOR="SeaGreen"]via the blocks[/COLOR]. The cooler the water, the more heat is transferred. As the water heats up the heat is removed by the radiator. The more efficient the fan/radiator combination is, the cooler the water. The cooler the water, the cooler your parts. So simple. Basic water-cooling uses a pump, res, a block, a radiator, AND ambient air temp. Our water can be no cooler than the air temp. A room at 12C will keep the chips much cooler than a room at 30C. Remember that statement. Summers are much hotter and many back off on their overclocks in the summer. Funny thought, I just realized more people mention chilled water, mini fridges, etc., in the summer.

Finally to Delta T (DT) and why it's so important to understand it.

DT is the foundation of your WC loop. [COLOR="SeaGreen"]The better your DT[/COLOR], the cooler your chips are. In water-cooling DT is simply the difference between the ambient air temp and the water temp on the outgoing side of the rad. Room temp vs. water temp, that's it. You can't remove all the heat nor can you go below ambient room temp.

When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water temp AND your CPU are at room temp. You boot the PC up, the chip gets hot FAST. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and SOME of the heat is removed. Not all can be removed. You have to know thermodynamics deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time, the water reaches a balance, an equilibrium is reached. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized. If you change the room temp, the load, or your fan speed the loop needs to readjust. If you increase your cooling system, the water WILL get cooler, better chip temps.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Water temps in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. Only 2-3C difference between the radiator out temp and the CPU out temp. [/COLOR] Remember, the water can't remove all the heat, just some, and some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way, it's a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part effects the other.

Now that DT and loop stability is explained, let's talk about [COLOR="SeaGreen"]what a good DT is.[/COLOR]

A CPU loop needs good DT. Under 10C is just fine, getting closer to 5C is very nice and important if you want big overclocks. Getting under 5C is just overdoing it, unless you're very extreme, need it for benching or just want to do it. On an average CPU loop shoot for under 10C and adjust your overclocks to be fine, under the temps suggested by the makers.

A GPU loop used to be fine with a 15 to 20C DT. If you're a big overclocker on your GPUs, then shoot for 15C or lower. The VRMs [COLOR="Yellow"](DEFINITION?)[/COLOR] on these new cards can be affected by temps. If [COLOR="SeaGreen"]you've[/COLOR] got a GTX 280 like me, don't worry about it, it's the 5970s and the 480s and other really hot cards that can have this issue.

A bit of math, figuring out graphs, easy.[COLOR="SeaGreen"] LOL, jk. Took me more than a few attempts to do it,[/COLOR] but you can easily do it with help. Thanks to Martin (retired) and Skinnee we have the data. Bless them.

Let's go with my CPU standard of 250 watts and this link. Link to it, please, then go to page 4. Read it all when you get a chance.

[url]http://www.skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-sr1360.html?page=4[/url]
This is a quality radiator with low fins per inch, great for low RPM, low noise fans.

Go to the second chart, use the RED line. It's a good quality, popular, well performing fan at 1407 RPM, good middle ground. At the bottom of the chart find 250 watts, go up to the red line. WOW We have a 5.5 DT, very nice. Remember my comment about a CPU likes low DT but a GPU doesn't need it as much? Let's toss a 250 watt GPU into the same loop, Res-Pump-Rad-CPU-GPU. Look what happens to the DT, it's over 11DT now. Your CPU isn't happy anymore, but the GPU is just fine. In this case you're under radded and need to split the loop or get your DT under control with more fannage, a better high FPI radiator choice AND new/more fans, or just more radiator square area.

This is where my earlier entry matters.

1. Your budget

In many situations splitting the loop is so much easier, but costs a LOT more, keeping the CPU temp low on it's own loop and having a bigger DT loop just for the GPU. Sorry, but many of us do have a massive GPU setup these days. You wanna play right with water-cooling? You pay. You can easily go past your budget once you start. It's amazing what a proper water-cooling setup costs.

Lots start out with the wrong radiator type or much too little radiator. Some think they can live with the high speed fans, but end up buying another radiator and trying to fit it in the case, which brings me to #3. Many times you just have to accept your beloved case isn't going to work, or you're going to have to hang rads on the outside, or even make a separate rad box. You can't trick physics and think you don't need all the radiators you actually do need.

In summary, do your homework, plan for your rig and the 1 year out rig. You see another GPU in crossfire? Plan now.

Your DT matters, it's worth the effort to understand.[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Conumdrum, I like the edits. QuietIce's formatting is an improvement and some additions by Hsnopi are valuable for easier comprehension. I like this content for the sticky, but you need to decide what to do with the OP. Please have a read through the edited posts & put what you think is valuable in your post, then we can give it a final once-over and get this thing in the sticky!

Welcome to the much needed Water-cooling Heatload Explanation.

A water-cooled PC, or any pc, generates heat. Some parts produce massive amounts of heat due to the incredible number of calculations needed to give us what we crave, realistic games, Folding for our future, and decoding DVDs for our own personal use. I'm going to focus on two parts of your PC, the CPU and the GPU. These are the main hot parts we need to cool. I'll touch on a few other critical issues you need to understand as I hack my way through this.

Why Am I Doing This?

I used to teach electronics to young folks, I've been water cooling for a few years, so I think I can help get the concept of Heat-load across to any new person looking to expand their knowledge and build a really nice rig. Understanding the big picture, answering the eternal Forum question, "What stuff do I need to cool my rig"?

Most importantly, I must mention all the testers who post scientific tests and not hack reviews or this post wouldn't exist. These are people who for science and curiosity spent $100s++ of their own money and time building testing rigs, and COUNTLESS hours of their personal time to inform us, the uniformed public. I thank you Martin and Skinnee, you're an amazing part of our water cooling world. There are a few others, but they are leaders.

Done with the intro, on to the important stuff.

Okay, you've got an xx processor. How much heat does it generate under load? Heat is produced by the voltage and the amperage draw your CPU needs. Increasing voltage really increases your heat-load as do your overclocks. If a CPU uses 200 watts of power, about 80% to 90% will be lost as heat as the work is done in the CPU. It's deep electronic stuff, just go with it okay? You have to remove the heat.

1. Basic cruzin the web
2. Gaming

Consider the following, all of them come into play when determining how to deal with said heat:

1. Your budget
4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps.

Determining your heat-load isn't a perfect science.

You'll find numbers all over the place from what you have learned from reading lots of info, Googling terms like "heat-load i7 965", "AMD xxx", "Q6600 overclocked", etc. Reading 3-7 pages of Google, and following links within the Google links and the many links here, you should have an idea of what wattage you create in your PC furnace.

CPU heat-load

GPU Heat-load

GPU's are a big issue now. Some are moving to water-cooling, having never done it before, just because their GPU screams like a undead banshee while gaming. I have these neat links from another forum. From what others have said these folks did a TON of work and are trusted. They were able to look at JUST the GPU heat-loads on many cards, not full system power, which realy isn't what we need here.

Bookmark it!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635806http://www.hardware.fr/articles/781-1/dossier-vraie-consommation-73-cartes-graphiques.html

Please, I ask you to attempt to find out your heatload before we move on.

How basic WC works in relation to heatload.

We generate xx amount of heat. The heat is transferred to the water via the blocks on the CPU and GPU. The cooler the water, the more heat is transferred. As the water heats up the heat is removed by the radiator. The more efficient the fan/radiator combination is, the cooler the water. The cooler the water, the cooler your parts. So simple. Basic water-cooling uses a pump, res, a block, a radiator, AND ambient air temp. Our water can be no cooler than the air temp. A room at 12C will keep the chips much cooler than a room at 30C. Remember this!. Summers are much hotter and many back off on their overclocks in the summer. Funny thought, I just realized more people mention chilled water, mini fridges, etc., in the summer. And if you try to compare to someone else, remember ambient room temps and even the quality of the chip matters.

Delta T (DT) and why it's so important to understand it.

DT is the foundation of your WC loop. The better your DT, the cooler your chips are. In water-cooling DT is simply the difference between the ambient air temp and the water temp on the outgoing side of the rad. Room temp vs. water temp, that's it. You can't remove all the heat nor can you go below ambient room temp.

When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water temp AND your CPU are at room temp. You boot the PC up, the chip gets hot FAST, almost instantly. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and SOME of the heat is removed. Not all can be removed. You have to know thermodynamics theory deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time, the water reaches a balance, an equilibrium is reached. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized, temps will not change.

If you change the room temp, the load, or your fan speed the loop needs to readjust. This is where we like to measure our cooling ability. usually 30 minutes at a stable load is long enough to begin to measure. If you increase your cooling capability, the water WILL get cooler.

Water temps in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. Only 2-3C MAX difference between the radiator out temp and the CPU out temp. Remember, the water can't remove all the heat, some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way, it's a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part affects the other.

Let's talk about what a good DT is.

A CPU loop needs good DT. Under 10C is just fine, getting closer to 5C is very nice and important if you want big overclocks. Getting under 5C is just overdoing it, unless you're very extreme, need it for benching or just want to do it. On an average CPU loop shoot for under 10C and adjust your overclocks to be fine under the temps suggested by the makers.

A GPU loop used to be fine with a 15 to 20C DT. If you're a big overclocker on your GPUs, then shoot for 15C or lower. The Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM) on these new cards can be affected by temps. If you've got a GTX 280 like me, don't worry about it, it's the 5970s and the 480s and other really hot cards that can have this issue. So a lower DT for a GPU loop if your a big overclocker might be needed. Thats up to you as you design your setup.

Use a bit of math, decyphering some graphs, it's easy! LOL, jk. Took me more than a few attempts to figure it out, but you can easily do it with help. Thanks to Martin (retired) and Skinnee we have the data. Bless them.

Let's go with my CPU standard of 250 watts and this chart from Skinnees site. Hopefully you have the site bookmarked, if not, you will want all of his great test info.
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

This chart is the thermal test of a quality radiator with low fins per inch, great for low RPM, low noise fans.

HWLabs-SR1360_HeatLoadChart.jpg

Use the RED line. It's a good quality, popular, well performing fan at 1407 RPM, good middle ground. At the bottom of the chart find 250 watts, go up to the red line. WOW We have a 5.5 DT, very nice. Remember my comment about a CPU likes low DT but a GPU doesn't need it as much? Let's toss a 250 watt GPU into the same loop, your at 500 watts now. Res-Pump-Rad-CPU-GPU type loop. Look what happens to the DT, it's over 11DT now. Your CPU isn't happy anymore, but the GPU is just fine. In this case you're under radded and need to split the loop or get your DT under control with more fannage, better radiators/more radiators, better fans. More heat removal basically.

Remember this?

1. Your budget
4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps

In many situations splitting the loop is so much easier to keep temps under control. You can only put so much in one loop. Splitting the loop means having one fully seperate loop for the CPU and one for the GPUs. Two pumps, two rad setups, two reses etc. It was uncommon a few years ago unless you had 2+ GPUs. Now the GPUs are incredibly hot and it's slowly becoming the norm. It costs more, keeping the CPU temp low on it's own loop and having a higher DT loop just for the GPU.

Sorry, but many of us do have a massive GPU setup these days. You wanna play right with water-cooling? You pay. You can easily go past your budget once you start. It's amazing what a proper water-cooling setup costs.

Lots start out with the wrong radiator type or much too little radiator. Some think they can live with the high speed fans to compesate for too small rads, but end up buying another radiator and trying to fit it in the case. Many times you just have to accept your beloved case isn't going to work, or you're going to have to hang rads on the outside, or even make a separate rad box. You can't trick physics and think you don't need all the radiators you actually do need.

Thanks to all the input from many OCF members to get this cleaned up for Sticky use. I hope it guides many new folks to making the right choices.

Code:
[PLAIN][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=silver]Welcome to the much needed Water-cooling Heatload Explanation.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[COLOR=silver]A water-cooled PC, or any pc, generates heat. Some parts produce massive amounts of heat due to the incredible number of calculations needed to give us what we crave, realistic games, Folding for our future, and decoding DVDs for our own personal use. I'm going to focus on two parts of your PC, the CPU and the GPU. These are the main hot parts we need to cool. I'll touch on a few other critical issues you need to understand as I hack my way through this.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Why Am I Doing This?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]I used to teach electronics to young folks, I've been water cooling for a few years, so I think I can help get the concept of Heat-load across to any new person looking to expand their knowledge and build a really nice rig. Understanding the big picture, answering the eternal Forum question, "What stuff do I need to cool my rig"? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Most importantly, I must mention all the testers who post scientific tests and not hack reviews or this post wouldn't exist. These are people who for science and curiosity spent $100s++ of their own money and time building testing rigs, and COUNTLESS hours of their personal time to inform us, the uniformed public. I thank you Martin and Skinnee, you're an amazing part of our water cooling world. There are a few others, but they are leaders.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Done with the intro, on to the important stuff.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]Okay, you've got an xx processor. How much heat does it generate under load? Heat is produced by the voltage and the amperage draw your CPU needs. Increasing voltage really increases your heat-load as do your overclocks. If a CPU uses 200 watts of power, about 80% to 90% will be lost as heat as the work is done in the CPU. It's deep electronic stuff, just go with it okay? You have to remove the heat.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver]You can describe your created heat-load in three ways (or activities):[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]1. Basic cruzin the web[/COLOR]
[COLOR=silver]2. Gaming[/COLOR]
[COLOR=silver]3. Benching for the best overclocks[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver]Consider the following, all of them come into play when determining how to deal with said heat:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]1. Your budget[/COLOR]
[COLOR=silver]2. Acceptable noise levels[/COLOR]
[COLOR=silver]3. What can you fit in your case[/COLOR]
[COLOR=silver]4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=2][B]Determining your heat-load isn't a perfect science.[/B][/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]You'll find numbers all over the place from what you have learned from reading lots of info, Googling terms like "heat-load i7 965", "AMD xxx", "Q6600 overclocked", etc. Reading 3-7 pages of Google, and following links within the Goggle links, you should have an idea of what wattage you creat in your PC furnace.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]CPU heat-load[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]For example, I remember a Q6600 at 3.9 was 150 watts MAX. An i7 at 4.0 is 250 watts. Right now, as I type, my i7 965 stock is at 80 watts. My peak load is 340 watts, but for a very, very short time. So take the min/max with a grain of salt. These are max testing loads, so real world is a bit lower if you're a big gamer. I'm making a point, it's a lot of heat and you need to remove it. I use 250 watts as my stress wattage for calculations on MY chip.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]GPU Heat-load[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]GPU's are a big issue now. Some are moving to water-cooling, having never done it before, just because their GPU screams like a undead banshee while gaming. I have these neat links from another forum. From what others have said these folks did a TON of work and are trusted. They were able to look at JUST the GPU heat-loads on many cards, not full system power, which realy isn't what we need here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Bookmark it![/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635806"][COLOR=silver]http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635806[/COLOR][/URL]

[COLOR=silver]Please, I ask you to attempt to find out your heatload before we move on.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]How basic WC works in relation to heatload.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]We generate xx amount of heat. The heat is transferred to the water via the blocks on the CPU and GPU. The cooler the water, the more heat is transferred. As the water heats up the heat is removed by the radiator. The more efficient the fan/radiator combination is, the cooler the water. The cooler the water, the cooler your parts. So simple. Basic water-cooling uses a pump, res, a block, a radiator, AND ambient air temp. Our water can be no cooler than the air temp. A room at 12C will keep the chips much cooler than a room at 30C. Remember this!. Summers are much hotter and many back off on their overclocks in the summer. Funny thought, I just realized more people mention chilled water, mini fridges, etc., in the summer. And if you try to compare to someone else, remember ambient room temps and even the quality of the chip matters.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Delta T (DT) and why it's so important to understand it.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]DT is the foundation of your WC loop. The better your DT, the cooler your chips are. In water-cooling DT is simply the difference between the ambient air temp and the water temp on the outgoing side of the rad. Room temp vs. water temp, that's it. You can't remove all the heat nor can you go below ambient room temp. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water temp AND your CPU are at room temp. You boot the PC up, the chip gets hot FAST, almost instantly. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and SOME of the heat is removed. Not all can be removed. You have to know thermodynamics theory deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time, the water reaches a balance, an equilibrium is reached. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized, temps will not change. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]If you change the room temp, the load, or your fan speed the loop needs to readjust. This is where we like to measure our cooling ability. usually 30 minutes at a stable load is long enough to begin to measure. If you increase your cooling capability, the water WILL get cooler. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Water temps in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. Only 2-3C MAX difference between the radiator out temp and the CPU out temp. Remember, the water can't remove all the heat, some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way, it's a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part affects the other.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Let's talk about what a good DT is.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]A CPU loop needs good DT. Under 10C is just fine, getting closer to 5C is very nice and important if you want big overclocks. Getting under 5C is just overdoing it, unless you're very extreme, need it for benching or just want to do it. On an average CPU loop shoot for under 10C and adjust your overclocks to be fine under the temps suggested by the makers.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]A GPU loop used to be fine with a 15 to 20C DT. If you're a big overclocker on your GPUs, then shoot for 15C or lower. The Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM) on these new cards can be affected by temps. If you've got a GTX 280 like me, don't worry about it, it's the 5970s and the 480s and other really hot cards that can have this issue. So a lower DT for a GPU loop if your a big overclocker might be needed. Thats up to you as you design your setup.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]So, how do you calculate all of this?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]Use a bit of math, decyphering some graphs, it's easy! LOL, jk. Took me more than a few attempts to figure it out, but you can easily do it with help. Thanks to Martin (retired) and Skinnee we have the data. Bless them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Let's go with my CPU standard of 250 watts and this link. Link to it please, then go to page 4. Read it all when you get a chance.[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-sr1360.html?page=4"][COLOR=silver]http://www.skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-sr1360.html?page=4[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=silver]This is a quality radiator with low fins per inch, great for low RPM, low noise fans.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Go to the second chart, use the RED line. It's a good quality, popular, well performing fan at 1407 RPM, good middle ground. At the bottom of the chart find 250 watts, go up to the red line. WOW We have a 5.5 DT, very nice. Remember my comment about a CPU likes low DT but a GPU doesn't need it as much? Let's toss a 250 watt GPU into the same loop, your at 500 watts now. Res-Pump-Rad-CPU-GPU type loop. Look what happens to the DT, it's over 11DT now. Your CPU isn't happy anymore, but the GPU is just fine. In this case you're under radded and need to split the loop or get your DT under control with more fannage, better radiators/more radiators, better fans. More heat removal basically.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Remember this?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]In many situations splitting the loop is so much easier to keep temps under control. You can only put so much in one loop. Splitting the loop means having one fully seperate loop for the CPU and one for the GPUs. Two pumps, two rad setups, two reses etc. It was uncommon a few years ago unless you had 2+ GPUs. Now the GPUs are incredibly hot and it's slowly becoming the norm. It costs more, keeping the CPU temp low on it's own loop and having a higher DT loop just for the GPU. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Sorry, but many of us do have a massive GPU setup these days. You wanna play right with water-cooling? You pay. You can easily go past your budget once you start. It's amazing what a proper water-cooling setup costs.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Lots start out with the wrong radiator type or much too little radiator. Some think they can live with the high speed fans to compesate for too small rads, but end up buying another radiator and trying to fit it in the case. Many times you just have to accept your beloved case isn't going to work, or you're going to have to hang rads on the outside, or even make a separate rad box. You can't trick physics and think you don't need all the radiators you actually do need.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]In summary, do your homework, plan for your rig and the 1 year out rig. You see another GPU in crossfire? Plan now.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Your DT matters, it's worth the effort to understand.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Thanks to all the input from many OCF members to get this cleaned up for Sticky use. I hope it guides many new folks to making the right choices.[/COLOR][/PLAIN]

Last edited:
We can work on charts and what not to help supplement the article. Just let me know what you had in mind and we'll see what we can come up with.

Okay, I added some more formatting and bolded the titles and a few minor changes. I don't know how to put it up in code like others have done.

Skinnee, you have done this a LOT. We could put your graph I linked to into the post or if you had something else in mind. It's pretty much theory so pics don't help a lot. Unless you got ideas.

So would someone quote as code like before and Skinnee can take a gander?

Thanks for the help everyone.

You can link or display the image in the article, either way and you have SL approval. :)

Going to want to fix the Bookmark it! link, looks like it was dorked up on a copy/paste.

Skinnee, thanks! Your welcome to edit the code as you wish.

And I did it! I added a direct pic, still linked from my photobucket account, copied it from your site.

I could UL the pic to here so it never gets lost, but dunno if I can.

Fixed the link, dunno what happened.

Anyhoo, it's kinda done, waiting for approval I guess. IMOG?

good stuff skinnee :thup: thanks!

just optimised the image to OCF acceptable size.

(from the SL sight to keep it crisp lookin)

I like this and it's something I could have done with a long time ago.

Only minor comments. One spelling mistake compesate=compensate, may be an idea to run it through a spell checker.

Not criticising the style but would it be a good idea to refer to each component once with its full name then use the common abbreviations e.g. reservoir/res, radiator/rad etc. Also what is the plural for res? res's, reses?

I didn't check for missinig words or anything like that, nor did I change any wording, I just ran it through a spell-checker. ;)

Conumdrum - It looks like you and I have the same problem with seperate/separate. No matter how many times I type it my fingers always seem to stick an e instead of an a in there. :-/

Welcome to the much needed Water-cooling Heatload Explanation.

Why Am I Doing This?

I used to teach electronics to young folks, I've been water cooling for a few years, so I think I can help get the concept of Heat-load across to any new person looking to expand their knowledge and build a really nice rig. Understanding the big picture, answering the eternal Forum question, "What stuff do I need to cool my rig"?

Most importantly, I must mention all the testers who post scientific tests and not hack reviews or this post wouldn't exist. These are people who for science and curiosity spent $100s++ of their own money and time building testing rigs, and COUNTLESS hours of their personal time to inform us, the uniformed public. I thank you Martin and Skinnee, you're an amazing part of our water cooling world. There are a few others, but they are leaders.

Done with the intro, on to the important stuff.

1. Basic cruzin the web
2. Gaming

Consider the following, all of them come into play when determining how to deal with said heat:

1. Your budget
4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps.

Determining your heat-load isn't a perfect science.

You'll find numbers all over the place from what you have learned from reading lots of info, Googling terms like "heat-load i7 965", "AMD xxx", "Q6600 overclocked", etc. Reading 3-7 pages of Google, and following links within the Google links and the many links here, you should have an idea of what wattage you create in your PC furnace.

CPU heat-load

GPU Heat-load

GPU's are a big issue now. Some are moving to water-cooling, having never done it before, just because their GPU screams like a undead banshee while gaming. I have these neat links from another forum. From what others have said these folks did a TON of work and are trusted. They were able to look at JUST the GPU heat-loads on many cards, not full system power, which really isn't what we need here.

Bookmark it!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635806http://www.hardware.fr/articles/781-1/dossier-vraie-consommation-73-cartes-graphiques.html

Please, I ask you to attempt to find out your heatload before we move on.

How basic WC works in relation to heatload.

We generate xx amount of heat. The heat is transferred to the water via the blocks on the CPU and GPU. The cooler the water, the more heat is transferred. As the water heats up the heat is removed by the radiator. The more efficient the fan/radiator combination is, the cooler the water. The cooler the water, the cooler your parts. So simple. Basic water-cooling uses a pump, res, a block, a radiator, AND ambient air temp. Our water can be no cooler than the air temp. A room at 12C will keep the chips much cooler than a room at 30C. Remember this!. Summers are much hotter and many back off on their overclocks in the summer. Funny thought, I just realized more people mention chilled water, mini fridges, etc., in the summer. And if you try to compare to someone else, remember ambient room temps and even the quality of the chip matters.

Delta T (DT) and why it's so important to understand it.

When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water temp AND your CPU are at room temp. You boot the PC up, the chip gets hot FAST, almost instantly. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and SOME of the heat is removed. Not all can be removed. You have to know thermodynamics theory deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time, the water reaches a balance, an equilibrium is reached. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized, temps will not change.

If you change the room temp, the load, or your fan speed the loop needs to readjust. This is where we like to measure our cooling ability. usually 30 minutes at a stable load is long enough to begin to measure. If you increase your cooling capability, the water WILL get cooler.

Water temps in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. Only 2-3C MAX difference between the radiator out temp and the CPU out temp. Remember, the water can't remove all the heat, some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way, it's a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part affects the other.

Let's talk about what a good DT is.

A CPU loop needs good DT. Under 10C is just fine, getting closer to 5C is very nice and important if you want big overclocks. Getting under 5C is just overdoing it, unless you're very extreme, need it for benching or just want to do it. On an average CPU loop shoot for under 10C and adjust your overclocks to be fine under the temps suggested by the makers.

A GPU loop used to be fine with a 15 to 20C DT. If you're a big overclocker on your GPUs, then shoot for 15C or lower. The Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM) on these new cards can be affected by temps. If you've got a GTX 280 like me, don't worry about it, it's the 5970s and the 480s and other really hot cards that can have this issue. So a lower DT for a GPU loop if your a big overclocker might be needed. Thats up to you as you design your setup.

Use a bit of math, deciphering some graphs, it's easy! LOL, jk. Took me more than a few attempts to figure it out, but you can easily do it with help. Thanks to Martin (retired) and Skinnee we have the data. Bless them.

Let's go with my CPU standard of 250 watts and this chart from Skinnee's site. Hopefully you have the site bookmarked, if not, you will want all of his great test info.
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

This chart is the thermal test of a quality radiator with low fins per inch, great for low RPM, low noise fans.

Use the RED line. It's a good quality, popular, well performing fan at 1407 RPM, good middle ground. At the bottom of the chart find 250 watts, go up to the red line. WOW We have a 5.5 DT, very nice. Remember my comment about a CPU likes low DT but a GPU doesn't need it as much? Let's toss a 250 watt GPU into the same loop, your at 500 watts now. Res-Pump-Rad-CPU-GPU type loop. Look what happens to the DT, it's over 11DT now. Your CPU isn't happy anymore, but the GPU is just fine. In this case you're under radded and need to split the loop or get your DT under control with more fannage, better radiators/more radiators, better fans. More heat removal basically.

Remember this?

1. Your budget
4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps

In many situations splitting the loop is so much easier to keep temps under control. You can only put so much in one loop. Splitting the loop means having one fully separate loop for the CPU and one for the GPUs. Two pumps, two rad setups, two reses etc. It was uncommon a few years ago unless you had 2+ GPUs. Now the GPUs are incredibly hot and it's slowly becoming the norm. It costs more, keeping the CPU temp low on it's own loop and having a higher DT loop just for the GPU.

Sorry, but many of us do have a massive GPU setup these days. You wanna play right with water-cooling? You pay. You can easily go past your budget once you start. It's amazing what a proper water-cooling setup costs.

Lots start out with the wrong radiator type or much too little radiator. Some think they can live with the high speed fans to compensate for too small rads, but end up buying another radiator and trying to fit it in the case. Many times you just have to accept your beloved case isn't going to work, or you're going to have to hang rads on the outside, or even make a separate rad box. You can't trick physics and think you don't need all the radiators you actually do need.

Thanks to all the input from many OCF members to get this cleaned up for Sticky use. I hope it guides many new folks to making the right choices.

Code:
[PLAIN][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=silver]Welcome to the much needed Water-cooling Heatload Explanation.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[COLOR=silver]A water-cooled PC, or any pc, generates heat. Some parts produce massive amounts of heat due to the incredible number of calculations needed to give us what we crave, realistic games, Folding for our future, and decoding DVDs for our own personal use. I'm going to focus on two parts of your PC, the CPU and the GPU. These are the main hot parts we need to cool. I'll touch on a few other critical issues you need to understand as I hack my way through this.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Why Am I Doing This?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]I used to teach electronics to young folks, I've been water cooling for a few years, so I think I can help get the concept of Heat-load across to any new person looking to expand their knowledge and build a really nice rig. Understanding the big picture, answering the eternal Forum question, "What stuff do I need to cool my rig"? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Most importantly, I must mention all the testers who post scientific tests and not hack reviews or this post wouldn't exist. These are people who for science and curiosity spent $100s++ of their own money and time building testing rigs, and COUNTLESS hours of their personal time to inform us, the uniformed public. I thank you Martin and Skinnee, you're an amazing part of our water cooling world. There are a few others, but they are leaders.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Done with the intro, on to the important stuff.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]Okay, you've got an xx processor. How much heat does it generate under load? Heat is produced by the voltage and the amperage draw your CPU needs. Increasing voltage really increases your heat-load as do your overclocks. If a CPU uses 200 watts of power, about 80% to 90% will be lost as heat as the work is done in the CPU. It's deep electronic stuff, just go with it okay? You have to remove the heat.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver]You can describe your created heat-load in three ways (or activities):[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]1. Basic cruzin the web[/COLOR]
[COLOR=silver]2. Gaming[/COLOR]
[COLOR=silver]3. Benching for the best overclocks[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver]Consider the following, all of them come into play when determining how to deal with said heat:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=2][B]Determining your heat-load isn't a perfect science.[/B][/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]You'll find numbers all over the place from what you have learned from reading lots of info, Googling terms like "heat-load i7 965", "AMD xxx", "Q6600 overclocked", etc. Reading 3-7 pages of Google, and following links within the Goggle links, you should have an idea of what wattage you create in your PC furnace.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]CPU heat-load[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]For example, I remember a Q6600 at 3.9 was 150 watts MAX. An i7 at 4.0 is 250 watts. Right now, as I type, my i7 965 stock is at 80 watts. My peak load is 340 watts, but for a very, very short time. So take the min/max with a grain of salt. These are max testing loads, so real world is a bit lower if you're a big gamer. I'm making a point, it's a lot of heat and you need to remove it. I use 250 watts as my stress wattage for calculations on MY chip.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]GPU Heat-load[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]GPU's are a big issue now. Some are moving to water-cooling, having never done it before, just because their GPU screams like a undead banshee while gaming. I have these neat links from another forum. From what others have said these folks did a TON of work and are trusted. They were able to look at JUST the GPU heat-loads on many cards, not full system power, which really isn't what we need here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Bookmark it![/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635806"][COLOR=silver]http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635806[/COLOR][/URL]

[COLOR=silver]Please, I ask you to attempt to find out your heatload before we move on.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]How basic WC works in relation to heatload.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]We generate xx amount of heat. The heat is transferred to the water via the blocks on the CPU and GPU. The cooler the water, the more heat is transferred. As the water heats up the heat is removed by the radiator. The more efficient the fan/radiator combination is, the cooler the water. The cooler the water, the cooler your parts. So simple. Basic water-cooling uses a pump, res, a block, a radiator, AND ambient air temp. Our water can be no cooler than the air temp. A room at 12C will keep the chips much cooler than a room at 30C. Remember this!. Summers are much hotter and many back off on their overclocks in the summer. Funny thought, I just realized more people mention chilled water, mini fridges, etc., in the summer. And if you try to compare to someone else, remember ambient room temps and even the quality of the chip matters.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Delta T (DT) and why it's so important to understand it.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]DT is the foundation of your WC loop. The better your DT, the cooler your chips are. In water-cooling DT is simply the difference between the ambient air temp and the water temp on the outgoing side of the rad. Room temp vs. water temp, that's it. You can't remove all the heat nor can you go below ambient room temp. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water temp AND your CPU are at room temp. You boot the PC up, the chip gets hot FAST, almost instantly. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and SOME of the heat is removed. Not all can be removed. You have to know thermodynamics theory deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time, the water reaches a balance, an equilibrium is reached. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized, temps will not change. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]If you change the room temp, the load, or your fan speed the loop needs to readjust. This is where we like to measure our cooling ability. usually 30 minutes at a stable load is long enough to begin to measure. If you increase your cooling capability, the water WILL get cooler. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Water temps in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. Only 2-3C MAX difference between the radiator out temp and the CPU out temp. Remember, the water can't remove all the heat, some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way, it's a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part affects the other.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Let's talk about what a good DT is.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]A CPU loop needs good DT. Under 10C is just fine, getting closer to 5C is very nice and important if you want big overclocks. Getting under 5C is just overdoing it, unless you're very extreme, need it for benching or just want to do it. On an average CPU loop shoot for under 10C and adjust your overclocks to be fine under the temps suggested by the makers.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]A GPU loop used to be fine with a 15 to 20C DT. If you're a big overclocker on your GPUs, then shoot for 15C or lower. The Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM) on these new cards can be affected by temps. If you've got a GTX 280 like me, don't worry about it, it's the 5970s and the 480s and other really hot cards that can have this issue. So a lower DT for a GPU loop if your a big overclocker might be needed. Thats up to you as you design your setup.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]So, how do you calculate all of this?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]Use a bit of math, deciphering some graphs, it's easy! LOL, jk. Took me more than a few attempts to figure it out, but you can easily do it with help. Thanks to Martin (retired) and Skinnee we have the data. Bless them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Let's go with my CPU standard of 250 watts and this link. Link to it please, then go to page 4. Read it all when you get a chance.[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-sr1360.html?page=4"][COLOR=silver]http://www.skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-sr1360.html?page=4[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=silver]This is a quality radiator with low fins per inch, great for low RPM, low noise fans.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Go to the second chart, use the RED line. It's a good quality, popular, well performing fan at 1407 RPM, good middle ground. At the bottom of the chart find 250 watts, go up to the red line. WOW We have a 5.5 DT, very nice. Remember my comment about a CPU likes low DT but a GPU doesn't need it as much? Let's toss a 250 watt GPU into the same loop, your at 500 watts now. Res-Pump-Rad-CPU-GPU type loop. Look what happens to the DT, it's over 11DT now. Your CPU isn't happy anymore, but the GPU is just fine. In this case you're under radded and need to split the loop or get your DT under control with more fannage, better radiators/more radiators, better fans. More heat removal basically.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=silver][B]Remember this?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=silver]4. Expected cooling capability meaning low temps or acceptable temps [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]In many situations splitting the loop is so much easier to keep temps under control. You can only put so much in one loop. Splitting the loop means having one fully separate loop for the CPU and one for the GPUs. Two pumps, two rad setups, two reses etc. It was uncommon a few years ago unless you had 2+ GPUs. Now the GPUs are incredibly hot and it's slowly becoming the norm. It costs more, keeping the CPU temp low on it's own loop and having a higher DT loop just for the GPU. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Sorry, but many of us do have a massive GPU setup these days. You wanna play right with water-cooling? You pay. You can easily go past your budget once you start. It's amazing what a proper water-cooling setup costs.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Lots start out with the wrong radiator type or much too little radiator. Some think they can live with the high speed fans to compensate for too small rads, but end up buying another radiator and trying to fit it in the case. Many times you just have to accept your beloved case isn't going to work, or you're going to have to hang rads on the outside, or even make a separate rad box. You can't trick physics and think you don't need all the radiators you actually do need.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]In summary, do your homework, plan for your rig and the 1 year out rig. You see another GPU in crossfire? Plan now.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Your DT matters, it's worth the effort to understand.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]Thanks to all the input from many OCF members to get this cleaned up for Sticky use. I hope it guides many new folks to making the right choices.[/COLOR][/PLAIN]

Last edited:
just copy the one ive posted conum its crunched down to upload size for here.

right click on it and save image to your machine then upload it here :)

I think he's talking about using the "Manage Attachments" area on the advanced post screen. I've seen people upload a pic then link to the uploaded image so it's in the right place instead of at the bottom of the post - but it plays havoc with the resize function to do that. :-/

If this goes to the front page it'll work differently ...

Back