• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A NEW PC BUILD - Purchasing in July - 1200$~

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chandler

Registered
so lets start mates, My current build is :

i5 3470 ivy bridge
asus gtx 560ti 2gb factory overclocked
8gb (4x2 kingston hyperx blue fury)
asus p8z77-v lx
Zalman 650W
ocz agillity 3 120gb SSD

I've build that pc in Aug 2012.

Its time to upgrade, the purchase's gna take place in Ukraine (lowered prices on hardware and stuff) so.. I've decied to go for it, after 3 years :

I was thinking about something like ...

GIGABYTE GA-H97-HD3
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
KINGSTON DDR3 8GBx2 1600
Gigabute GTX970 4GB DDR5 GV-N970WF3
650w PowerSupply
Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD
NZXT Phantom 410 White / Fractal Design Define R4 Black
NO OC PLANNED HERE, STRICTLY A STOCK PC.

I'm gonna add some NOCTUA fans aswell, I really need ur help on choosing the power supply & case (between the two, or if u have any other specific pieces that are just as good)

GPU - the next build MUST have a gtx 970 (just because I dont have enough funds to get the 980, and I HAVE AN ASUS VG248QE 144HZ screen so I need a powerful gpu[/COLOR]
CPU - my mind is pretty much set on the cpu aswell, as its the most efficient one I've found to fit my budget considering its performance. cpu cooling is something I need help with as well, Ive included the i11 as the default choice.
RAM - I guess its time to get a 16GB build, one question tho, are Patriot's Red Venom & Corsair's Dominator platinum with these big *** thick radiators are for OC only ? or is it something I may consider even if not going for one?
MB - after bad exp with the few last Asus mb's Ive bought, I decided to go for a GIGABYTE one, and then found the h97-hd3 to fit well here, any thoughts on that? (AGAIN, NOT PLANNING ANY OC or future upgrade)
SSD - after a great 840 evo 120gb tryout, I think I'll go with Samsung Pro 850 256GB after quite a lot of positive reviews .

Any tips and fix ups will be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

My only concern is a generic mention of a 650w psu... make sure it's a good one. I suggest EVGA GS650.

The performance differences between the 850 Pro and Evo are negligible for most people's uses. Since you aren't overclocking (and therefor not benchmarking), there's no reason to spend the extra dough on the Pro vs. the Evo.

Honestly, the system you are on (minus the video card) is pretty solid. You could find a used 3770(K) if you want the i7, and just grab a 16GB kit of RAM, SSD (if you don't want to save the one you already have), and probably have enough left over to get the 980 or 980Ti with the money saved. That would give you a more powerful system for the same amount of money or less. Depending on what you do with your PC, an i7 may be overkill compared to what you already have anyway, so you might even be able to save money there as well.

And if you only ever intend to run a stock system with 1 video card, you can go with a 550w (or even lower maybe) PSU, especially with a new NVidia card. The Seasonic S12ii (I think is the model) 520w is pretty well recommended here.

However, the system you spec'd out is solid as well, my recommendations would be whichever case you like better, and the SS S12ii 520w I mentioned earlier.

I agree with Dlaw, get yourself a I7 3770k, a new quality Psu and a 980 Gpu. I also agree with Trents with the memory, do you really need 16g of memory?

Do you really need 16gb of RAM?
With cost of ddr3 right now, it's pretty good buy to get 16gb. My 16gb 1866 cl9 ram was 88$, 8gb is around 55$ right now. Plenty of sales popping up lately make it a prudent purchase, just gotta be smart about it :)

With cost of ddr3 right now, it's pretty good buy to get 16gb. My 16gb 1866 cl9 ram was 88$, 8gb is around 55$ right now. Plenty of sales popping up lately make it a prudent purchase, just gotta be smart about it :)
Orly I didn't realize it was getting that low in price, thanks.

The performance differences between the 850 Pro and Evo are negligible for most people's uses. Since you aren't overclocking (and therefor not benchmarking), there's no reason to spend the extra dough on the Pro vs. the Evo.

Honestly, the system you are on (minus the video card) is pretty solid. You could find a used 3770(K) if you want the i7, and just grab a 16GB kit of RAM, SSD (if you don't want to save the one you already have), and probably have enough left over to get the 980 or 980Ti with the money saved. That would give you a more powerful system for the same amount of money or less. Depending on what you do with your PC, an i7 may be overkill compared to what you already have anyway, so you might even be able to save money there as well.

And if you only ever intend to run a stock system with 1 video card, you can go with a 550w (or even lower maybe) PSU, especially with a new NVidia card. The Seasonic S12ii (I think is the model) 520w is pretty well recommended here.

However, the system you spec'd out is solid as well, my recommendations would be whichever case you like better, and the SS S12ii 520w I mentioned earlier.

Dlaw, first of all, thanks for the informative comment, 2 very important questions, about the SSD, if I get the EVO, still go for the 850..right ? what are the exact differences between pro and evo?
and about the CPU, why not go for a 4790 (also, haswell).. why should I get that old 3770 (and also why K version, I stated that I wont overclock.)
Why is it so important to u that I get the 980 / ti instead of the 970 ?

I agree with Dlaw, get yourself a I7 3770k, a new quality Psu and a 980 Gpu. I also agree with Trents with the memory, do you really need 16g of memory?

WHY 3770 instead of a new 4790 ??

A GENERAL REPLAY to everyone : Ive just checked and even with all the minor savings u suggested (which btw, doesnt make it a lot cheaper than it is right now, I mean, 3770 and 4790 from where Im gonna get it , are a difference of 50-60$ one from another, getting 8gb of ram instead of 16 doesnt pay off performance-wise aswell, and Im not saving a lot on it at all.)
I CANT INCLUDE NEITHER 980TI not the regular 980 one in my budget no matter what, the minimum price on that card is like 770$, and its more than half my budget so... (the sys I put up in the original post is like 1300$~ so.. its kinda crazy trying to fit in a 800$ card inside...

Last edited:
Because the performance difference isn't enough to warrant making such an upgrade. You may want to wait until the end of the year and go Skylake.... there is little reason for you to upgrade honestly.

My only concern is a generic mention of a 650w psu... make sure it's a good one. I suggest EVGA GS650.

its not a generic mention its the default option for the system, the brand and the specifics is something I need help with from you guys :D

- - - Updated - - -

Because the performance difference isn't enough to warrant making such an upgrade. You may want to wait until the end of the year and go Skylake.... there is little reason for you to upgrade honestly.

u mean, that is if I dont think about OCing my sys right? that I should get the i7 3770 ivybridge?
and what if I told u the difference in the pricing is like 60$ (as I wrote earlier..)

So no brand and specifics equals......................................generic. Come on now... LOL!

I say keep what you have until Skylake comes out at the end of the year. If you NEED the threads for whatever else you are doing and its going to cost you $60, go for it. If you can hold off... hold off and put that $60 towards the system then.

So no brand and specifics equals......................................generic. Come on now... LOL!

I say keep what you have until Skylake comes out at the end of the year. If you NEED the threads for whatever else you are doing and its going to cost you $60, go for it. If you can hold off... hold off and put that $60 towards the system then.

Okay, But I also stated I wont do any future upgrades, meaning I wont wait for the next gen of cpu's to come out, Im buying a pc now, bcuz Im going abroad now, and the prices will be lower there, thats the whole idea of getting a pc in July while Im there, understand mate?

Can you please post the site/location where you are pulling the prices from (so that we have an idea of what costs what there?). Hopefully it is in english or translatable to english!

To answer your questions:

If the cost difference of a 3770k and a 4790 is only about $50 I don't see any reason to not get the 4790 then, same with 16GB over 8GB.

The difference between the 850 pro and 850 evo are explained decently well in Anandtech's article here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review

Note the costs at the end in the value segment have decreased significantly since when the article was written (last December I believe), but while the Pro has a bit better performance, generally the costs aren't worth it. As the main benefit to an SSD isn't necessarily the read/write performance (unless you are working with large sequential data sets). It is the access times which both should be essentially equal. The only other big difference is the pro has a 10 year warranty and the evo only a 5 year warranty. Granted, I would imagine most people would be replacing the SSD by the time the 5 years are up, but it is nice to know it will be covered for 10 years if you go the pro route (I can't imagine using any of my hardware for 10 years).

Last edited:
Its in Russian, I dont know if its translatable, its a Ukranian site (hopefully I'll get even lower prices than what they have there bcuz my uncle knows ppl there)

www.rozetka.com.ua

I dont think the site has a "build a system" option.. like other sites often give.. u only can put in a specific model and check the price.. u might have to transfer the price (which is in UAH) to USD.

Okay, But I also stated I wont do any future upgrades, meaning I wont wait for the next gen of cpu's to come out, Im buying a pc now, bcuz Im going abroad now, and the prices will be lower there, thats the whole idea of getting a pc in July while Im there, understand mate?
I do now... you only mentioned that you were buying in the Ukraine as prices are lower. Not that you couldn't go when new CPUs were out. ;)

We will do our best to help, but this is a US based site so it may be slow going. ;)

I do now... you only mentioned that you were buying in the Ukraine as prices are lower. Not that you couldn't go when new CPUs were out. ;)

Im going there in the 1st of July. for 3 weeks. if we're talking about a 1300$ system there, it means Im gonna save something like 400$ if not more

I added some information to answer your questions in the post you replied to. I'll re-post those here to make sure it is clear:

If the cost difference of a 3770k and a 4790 is only about $50 I don't see any reason to not get the 4790 then, same with 16GB over 8GB.

The difference between the 850 pro and 850 evo are explained decently well in Anandtech's article here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/s...850-evo-review

Note the costs at the end in the value segment have decreased significantly since when the article was written (last December I believe), but while the Pro has a bit better performance, generally the costs aren't worth it. As the main benefit to an SSD isn't necessarily the read/write performance (unless you are working with large sequential data sets). It is the access times which both should be essentially equal. The only other big difference is the pro has a 10 year warranty and the evo only a 5 year warranty. Granted, I would imagine most people would be replacing the SSD by the time the 5 years are up, but it is nice to know it will be covered for 10 years if you go the pro route (I can't imagine using any of my hardware for 10 years).

Hope that helps that part.

Thanks for the link. As EarthDog pointed out, this is generally a US-based site so it may take a few for us to comb through the site and come up with a recommendation, but we will do our best to help.

Can you please post the site/location where you are pulling the prices from (so that we have an idea of what costs what there?). Hopefully it is in english or translatable to english!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review

Thank you Janus, I'll get the EVO then, (ofc, I wont be using it for more than a couple of years aswell), and the 4790 I guess..

Once again, is there really such a big difference between the 970 & 980(regular version)

Edit : other than that, after we've decided about the SSD, the CPU, RAM & I guess the MB, something else I might need to change ? (for the sys I originally put up, look at the beginning of the post,ty.)

Once again, is there really such a big difference between the 970 & 980(regular version)
Several percent difference (around 10%). Here is a review...http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/26.html

(which for the record you can google the name of the card and add review to the end of it to see results while you wait for a reply. I like Techpowerup's reviews as they list a bunch of cards across a lot of games and gives a summary)

Several percent difference (around 10%). Here is a review...http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/26.html

(which for the record you can google the name of the card and add review to the end of it to see results while you wait for a reply. I like Techpowerup's reviews as they list a bunch of cards across a lot of games)

I already saw a couple, the thing is , I really cant afford to pay the 250$ difference between the two cards, Im gonna have to stay with my original choice of the gtx 970...
btw, I read that it is not recommended to pay extra for the G1 GAMING version, and just get the windforce x3 or something as the g1 is just a minor factory oc which doesnt change too much.. is that confirmed (the price difference between the g1 & the WF isnt huge, Im just curious.)

Back