• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A NEW PC BUILD - Purchasing in July - 1200$~

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
there's a decent performance increase overall (I'm sure you can find that in some various reviews/benchmarks) and the additional .5gb of RAM (despite the card marketed as 4GB the 970 really has about 3.5GB of usable VRAM vs the 4GB on the 980). - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1351 looks to be about 10-20% depending on the title/settings/resolution/etc

With the launch of AMD's 390x and how it meets/beats the 980, maybe we will see a further price decrease of the 980 as well which will only benefit you in the coming month where you'll be in Ukraine.

Don't get me wrong, the 970 is still an excellent card for the money though.

there's a decent performance increase overall (I'm sure you can find that in some various reviews/benchmarks) and the additional .5gb of RAM (despite the card marketed as 4GB the 970 really has about 3.5GB of usable VRAM vs the 4GB on the 980). - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1351 looks to be about 10-20% depending on the title/settings/resolution/etc

With the launch of AMD's 390x and how it meets/beats the 980, maybe we will see a further price decrease of the 980 as well which will only benefit you in the coming month where you'll be in Ukraine.

Don't get me wrong, the 970 is still an excellent card for the money though.

so, given that I'll be getting the PC in the next 2 weeks or so, should I lower all the components untill I have enough money to get the 980 ? or it wont be worthwhile (long-term speaking..) ?

I already saw a couple, the thing is , I really cant afford to pay the 250$ difference between the two cards, Im gonna have to stay with my original choice of the gtx 970...
btw, I read that it is not recommended to pay extra for the G1 GAMING version, and just get the windforce x3 or something as the g1 is just a minor factory oc which doesnt change too much.. is that confirmed (the price difference between the g1 & the WF isnt huge, Im just curious.)
Well then, it is up to you since you are aware of the performance and price differences...

Well then, it is up to you since you are aware of the performance and price differences...

Would you do something like that? (it probably means I need to get some crappy i5 instead, and not get a new ssd at all..)

Its not my money, so not my choice.

But if it meant getting an i5 and not getting an SSD, I would get the 970.

Its not my money, so not my choice.

But if it meant getting an i5 and not getting an SSD, I would get the 970.

Im just asking u as someone who seems to know his way around the latest hardware... with very accurate and specific detailing.

ok, now.. what about PSU & the cases I put up ? (again, given Im getting the 4790 with a 850 evo 250gb & 970..)

Yes, but there comes a time where you need to a make a choice for yourself knowing the situation you are in. We can give you the facts, it is up to you to interpret them for your specific needs. ;)

I dont touch case choice as that is purely subjective unless you need some advice on watercooling inside of it (but that info is found at their website anyway).

As far as PSU... I suggest Seasonic G series, 550W. That is PLENTY for your system and is a high end unit. If you need to save some bucks, grab a 550W Corsair RM series or something similar. There is a suggested PSU thread link located in my signature, check it out and see if any are available where you are shopping. DO NOT cheap out on a PSU (whu I suggested you look in the link).

Yes, but there comes a time where you need to a make a choice for yourself knowing the situation you are in. We can give you the facts, it is up to you to interpret them for your specific needs. ;)

I dont touch case choice as that is purely subjective unless you need some advice on watercooling inside of it (but that info is found at their website anyway).

As far as PSU... I suggest Seasonic G series, 550W. That is PLENTY for your system and is a high end unit. If you need to save some bucks, grab a 550W Corsair RM series or something similar. There is a suggested PSU thread link located in my signature, check it out and see if any are available where you are shopping. DO NOT cheap out on a PSU (whu I suggested you look in the link).

you and the people who told me not to cheap out on a PSU , its pretty clear to me, I always buy a nice one with spare.. (got a Thermaltake 650w and then the Zalman 650w for my current build)

how's that PSU : Seasonic G550-80 Plus Gold 550W ? :)

Some thermaltakes are good (toughpower series) others...not. Zalman is MEH at best IIRC...I saw zalman and figured I should say something about it, LOL!

Anyway, that PSU is the one I told you to get... of course its good! ;)

Absolutely don't skimp on the SSD, going from them to HDD as the boot drive will drive you crazy. Either case would do, they're both pretty good.

I still stand by the SS S12ii 520w. Plenty of power for you, and solid performance. An EVGA 500B would be fine as well. And of course, the ones ED suggested are top knotch as well.

Do you really need the i7? Here's the thing, while yes, the 3770(K) *(I mentioned the "K" in there in case you couldn't find one that wasn't a "K") may be only a $50 difference, then you also have to figure in that you wouldn't need a new board to run it (in USA, the board you picked is ~$75). That's more money saved. And then, being that the board is the same, you could probably reuse the case as well. If you can find a matching kit of RAM to the one you have, that'd be a cheaper way to get 16GB. Essentially, all you would be replacing is the CPU, RAM and GPU, and you'd be on the same level as spending all of that money on the 4790 system.

Do you really need the i7? The i5 that you have now is a solid performer, do you think that the extra threads would make a difference with the things you do on that machine?

Some thermaltakes are good (toughpower series) others...not. Zalman is MEH at best IIRC...I saw zalman and figured I should say something about it, LOL!

Anyway, that PSU is the one I told you to get... of course its good! ;)

ok, and I had a TT Toughpower 650W Gold, and it burnt out

Absolutely don't skimp on the SSD, going from them to HDD as the boot drive will drive you crazy. Either case would do, they're both pretty good.

I still stand by the SS S12ii 520w. Plenty of power for you, and solid performance. An EVGA 500B would be fine as well.

Do you really need the i7? Here's the thing, while yes, the 3770(K) *(I mentioned the "K" in there in case you couldn't find one that wasn't a "K") may be only a $50 difference, then you also have to figure in that you wouldn't need a new board to run it (in USA, the board you picked is ~$75). That's more money saved. And then, being that the board is the same, you could probably reuse the case as well. If you can find a matching kit of RAM to the one you have, that'd be a cheaper way to get 16GB. Essentially, all you would be replacing is the CPU, RAM and GPU, and you'd be on the same level as spending all of that money on the 4790 system.

Do you really need the i7? The i5 that you have now is a solid performer, do you think that the extra threads would make a difference with the things you do on that machine?
Can't thank, so quoting... :)

That PSU is also a solid one, bronze efficiency compared to gold, but you won't make up the difference unless you run the PC on load 24/7/365. If the SSonic that Dlaw listed is cheaper, go for it.

Last edited:

I still stand by the SS S12ii 520w. Plenty of power for you, and solid performance. An EVGA 500B would be fine as well. And of course, the ones ED suggested are top knotch as well.

The thing is, the case I have right now is crap, secondly, my ram is 4GBx2 .. meaning I'd have to use 4x4 to get 16gb which is a mess.. and yeah, I absolutely can tell and see the diff between mine 3470 and my dad's 4790..
and by skipping on a new ssd I meant I'll continue using my old 840 evo 120gb ..

The thing is, the case I have right now is crap, secondly, my ram is 4GBx2 .. meaning I'd have to use 4x4 to get 16gb which is a mess.. and yeah, I absolutely can tell and see the diff between mine 3470 and my dad's 4790..

Doing what, out of curiosity? And are the rest of the systems comparable (GPU, primarily)?

4x4GB of ram isn't ideal, but as long as they're matching kits, it's fine. And since you're not overclocking, the stress on the IMC won't be overbearing, so It would be fine.

Also, the board you have right now, if I'm not mistaken it's one of the better overclocking boards on the Z77 chipset, am I correct?

Doing what, out of curiosity? And are the rest of the systems comparable (GPU, primarily)?

4x4GB of ram isn't ideal, but as long as they're matching kits, it's fine. And since you're not overclocking, the stress on the IMC won't be overbearing, so It would be fine.

Also, the board you have right now, if I'm not mistaken it's one of the better overclocking boards on the Z77 chipset, am I correct?

stuff like loading the maps in-game.. I mean, he does have the 16gb of ram compared to my 8 .. but still

8GB on a gaming machine is plenty...

Loading maps in game has mostly everything to do with the HDD/SSD, not the CPU chandler. :)

Maybe. but it was an honest mistake from the time I was an ASUS fanboy and every pc I bought I got a 250-300$ board , not having a clue why or what should a board simply have in order to run the system I buy with it without any issues..
NOT TO MENTION the fact every pc I buy is stock. lol.

That could be anything from your internet connection, to lack of memory, slower CPU/GPU/whatever, or just the install of the game.

Unless it's taking ridiculously long, is it worth spending all of the money it would take to upgrade to the 4790 vs a 3770 vs your 3470? I mean, that's a lot of money to save a couple seconds on load times, you know?

His current board is not exactly a barn burner, however it will take his CPU where it needs to go without worries. ;)

That could be anything from your internet connection, to lack of memory, slower CPU/GPU/whatever, or just the install of the game.

Unless it's taking ridiculously long, is it worth spending all of the money it would take to upgrade to the 4790 vs a 3770 vs your 3470? I mean, that's a lot of money to save a couple seconds on load times, you know?
+1

u know, the deal breaker here is actually the fact that my little sis needs a pc too (yeah she reached that age..) and what we planned is to give her my old one.. (other pc's in the house are WAY TOO OLD..)
so I do need a full new PC.. with every single component included.. (not talking dvd-rw and stuff lol)

Back