• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A NEW PC BUILD - Purchasing in July - 1200$~

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Software like MSI Afterburner or whatever Giga has or EVGA Precision... they will all work with your card and they all overclock videocards.

and using this software is what the companies do and call a "factory overclock" ?..

No. A factory overclock is just that, an overclock that comes from the factory. You use the software to push past those values. Or in the case of the other card, make it run as fast (or faster) than the gigabyte.

No. A factory overclock is just that, an overclock that comes from the factory. You use the software to push past those values. Or in the case of the other card, make it run as fast (or faster) than the gigabyte.

they're both Gigabyte ..
but ok, got it

LOL, sorry, MSI has a Gaming card as well. :)

As was said, the only difference are the factory clock speeds which you can use software to bump up.

Hi folks, Im back.. & ****. I ordered the rig last night but then started reading about the annoying VRam issue on the 970 .. And now Im super nervous.. this 3.5 & 0.5 @ 1/7 the speed thingie..
Ive also been noted that its noticable in 4K a lot more.. my question is.. as for my VG248QE.. Am I going to have performance issues concerning todays top games? (yeah, I mean with reaching 144 or at least 120)..
Should I cancel my order and loan some money to get the 980???

That monitor is only 1080p, the 970 will be perfectly fine for you. Depending on your settings and game you may not get a solid 144fps or 120fps with only a single card (but pretty much any single card has trouble running that high fps).

Hi folks, Im back.. & ****. I ordered the rig last night but then started reading about the annoying VRam issue on the 970 .. And now Im super nervous.. this 3.5 & 0.5 @ 1/7 the speed thingie..
Ive also been noted that its noticable in 4K a lot more.. my question is.. as for my VG248QE.. Am I going to have performance issues concerning todays top games? (yeah, I mean with reaching 144 or at least 120)..
Should I cancel my order and loan some money to get the 980???

I have an Asus GTX 970, and I game at 1080p, you shouldn't have to worry about that card at all. I also running a folding client on that card without issue.

That monitor is only 1080p, the 970 will be perfectly fine for you. Depending on your settings and game you may not get a solid 144fps or 120fps with only a single card (but pretty much any single card has trouble running that high fps).

I dont have qn option for SLI (Due to the motherboard)
so only talking about singles..
So whqt should I do..cancel my order? And get the extra 250$ for 980? (talking about Gigabyte Windforce x3 ver.)

If you have no possibility of moving to multi-video card, a 980 would probably allow you to last a bit longer and achieve higher frame rates than the 970. If you were just gaming at 60FPS/60Hz it wouldn't matter, but at 1080p 144 a 980 is a better card. You can look up reviews of the two cards at 1080p and see if there are games listed that you play to see if the 970 can achieve the FPS that you are wanting though.

If you have no possibility of moving to multi-video card, a 980 would probably allow you to last a bit longer and achieve higher frame rates than the 970. If you were just gaming at 60FPS/60Hz it wouldn't matter, but at 1080p 144 a 980 is a better card. You can look up reviews of the two cards at 1080p and see if there are games listed that you play to see if the 970 can achieve the FPS that you are wanting though.

they said that the order has been finalized and cant be undone.. guess Ill stick with the 970..
Maybe in a couple of months after the new Nvidia series will be released Ill get my hands on one of those babies..
I just hope that the 3.5GB wont suck too much

this 3.5 memory thing, only 1% or so of people ever run into it and that's in one or two games and higher res, sure my 970 will struggle a little at 1440 but at 1080, never.......
I have seen many people blame the memory thing for issues and then fix it with tuning and set up, never was the card to began with......
load up the 970 and use it, upgrade from there only if, and it's a BIG IF, you run into issues.
my bet is you will wear out the card before you need to upgrade.

I would personally go EVGA with an ACX2 cooler. Awesome performance and as close to silent as you can get, and their customer service is the best.

I would personally go EVGA with an ACX2 cooler. Awesome performance and as close to silent as you can get, and their customer service is the best.

Everyone I asked said that MSI gaming 4g and g1 gaming have the best clocks and the g1 is quieter and cooler..

Last edited:
So get that then... we are just sharing our experiences. IMO, you cannot go wrong with either honestly.

Back