• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about FSB and memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdog

I have read that running your memory faster than the FSB can actually make your comptuer perform worse is that true? If you do run it out of sycn with the fsb how does that work.
ex. If your processor is running 266 and the memory is 333 the processor can access memory only 266mhz so how do you gain anything or don't you gain anything?

Damian

You usually don't gain any raw speed but gain efficiency. Sometimes it's better, while sometimes it's worse.

And yes, I was confused for a while too. I keep on getting better scores in sandra and 3dmark01 with my mem set at 200 vs. 185 (my fsb) despite most people saying the contrary.

batboy

Senior Moment
Depends on whether you're Intel or AMD. The P-4 always does better if you run the RAM faster, they love lots of memory bandwidth. AMD is "typically" more efficient when the memory is at 1:1.

n00bular

Is there any way to run memory faster without raising fsb? Im currently running a 2.4b p4 with corsair xms pc3500 running at 2-2-2-5 and I want more bandwidth + memory speed. I dont think my processor can handle more than ~150 fsb on stock voltage.

kiltz

n00bular said:
Is there any way to run memory faster without raising fsb? Im currently running a 2.4b p4 with corsair xms pc3500 running at 2-2-2-5 and I want more bandwidth + memory speed. I dont think my processor can handle more than ~150 fsb on stock voltage.

with the right dividers you could. . ive maxed out my board with 3:4 :mad: