• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question for the Intel guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anaxagoras1986

Is it better to go for the 133FSB chips or 100s? I believe I heard it somewhere that the 100 go higher, but wouldnt the 133 be better despite thier lower ability to overclock because they would be running higher FSBs?

KILLorBE

It all depends, there's not much difference between high FSB and high multiplier (assuming both CPU's run at the same speed) except for memory bandwidth.

Example: If I had to choose between a P3 733 and a P3 600 or 700, I would sure go for the 600 or 700, because they're more likely to hit 150+ FSB.

Please tell me what the deal is.

OP
A

Anaxagoras1986

Oh I am not buying anything I was just curious. Like take this hypo for example:
133x15.5 = 2062Mhz (stock 100FSB)
150x13.0 = 1950Mhz (stock 133FSB)

Would the one hundred and change Mhz make a difference in the performance? I kow that the one on the bottom would ahve better mem marks and such, but with that aside, would it be that big of a difference? Which would be a better bet to get overall?

KILLorBE

Anaxagoras1986 said:
Oh I am not buying anything I was just curious. Like take this hypo for example:
133x15.5 = 2062Mhz (stock 100FSB)
150x13.0 = 1950Mhz (stock 133FSB)

Would the one hundred and change Mhz make a difference in the performance? I kow that the one on the bottom would ahve better mem marks and such, but with that aside, would it be that big of a difference? Which would be a better bet to get overall?

Well it's kinda hard to tell, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between those two (I've ran a few tests with different multi's and FSB's and at the same speed the difference was negligible), but I can force my P3V4X to run the memory at +33MHz, so in that case the first one would definitely be faster as the memory would be running at 166FSB (aside from the 100+ MHz).

BTW: After almost 3 years that I've owned the P3V4X I just recently found out that I could force it to run at +33MHz.