• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a quick fun and easy question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wankstar

Registered
note: title for psychological reason

any ways can a virus, a software programme, or a corrupt files damage hardware.

i asked this question on other forum and got this response:

and no, software problems don't usually affect your hardware unless you freeze up and do a hard shutdown or something... may possible make your pc overheat too if you're doing something too heavy

wat does this mean in english? wat hard shutdowns??

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
The answer is still no. Software can not largely effect the physical parts of your computer, but they can effect the data on your hard drive and your BIOS.

I've never had a machine that was physically damage by a hard shutdown.

Hard shutdown = unplugging your PSU or holding down the power button

Hardware can only be damaged by external physical factors such as overvoltage, overheating, shortages, or swift kicks of anger.

N

nerdlogic

Wankstar said:
may possible make your pc overheat too if you're doing something too heavy

Your PC will only overheat if you don't have adequate cooling. Normally a PC has adequate cooling with everything stock unless a fan goes out or something like that...If you're OC'ing, then you probably have already chosen adequate cooling and you shouldn't have to worry about overheating by PC load...only by your fan(s) going out or something like that.

thefly

Chernobyl virus was a good example of software that can damage hardware. I guess in the purest form, the bios isn't really hardware per say. But it is contained on a flashable chip on the motherboard which is hardware.

The virus would on certain dates, overwrite the bios and delete all the files on your hard drive.

You'd have to get a new bios chip or attempt a hot flash.

Most bios chips are socketed so you can remove them. I donno what one would do if the chip was soldered.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_10300.htm

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
Aren't there like batch files, I believe that will shut your cpu fan off?

four4875

the EEPROM (electronically erasable programable read only memory) is still software... and if the board can control fan speeds, it could possibly shut off all of the fans plugged into the board, and caus overheating.

Monaco

note: title for psychological reason

you don't need to do that. I guarantee somebody will read and have an answer for your question, without flaming you, as long as it hasn't been asked 1 million times before. And it hasn't :D

In my experience, modern viruses cannot physically harm your PC- the most they can do is mess with data. Back in the day, it was another story- today we have at least one level of software between us and our hardware; usually more. There was a virus that would whack your monitor for good back then, thank God it's not possible to do that anymore! :D That was the only virus I've ever known about that could definately, 100% break hardware for good.

Maybe, maybe a virus can get to your BIOS EEPROM these days, but I doubt it. Even if it does, the BIOS should have a switch to disable boot-flashing, which should protect against that problem. Chernobyl was a bad one, but I didn't hear about thousands of machines needing new BIOSes- obviously it didn't work too well.

I suppose somebody could write a virus to make your CDR drive ruin blank CDs, write garbage on it or something. But I've never heard of one.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wankstar

Registered
thanks people, but in any case is having a spybot same as ani virus.

oh i don't even have a anti-virus, is it importants?

Monaco

I second AVG, it's free and it seems to work well. Plus it has regular free updates, which is pretty cool I think.

having a spybot same as ani virus.

If you mean, is a spybot considered a virus, then usually not- because they don't replicate. If you mean, is having anti-spybot ware as good as having anti-virus ware, then, probably not. You really need to have both if you want to be safe. Personally I use both, the software is free so I say what the heck :D

Abra_Volta

Hmm, about the only thing I can think of is if someone was using software to control temps/fans and something hung the app and the fans didn't respond accordingly and you woke up the next morning to a fried CPU.

Honest_Bob

I am pretty shure most BIOS's have a "virus protection" and a "do not allow bios updates" options. I would reccomend having them enabled as to protect the bios from those nasty viruses.

OP
W

Wankstar

Registered
ok then wat about asus p4pe, it has a good anti virus at the start up, does that help protect the bios?

Honest_Bob

Wankstar said:
ok then wat about asus p4pe, it has a good anti virus at the start up, does that help protect the bios?

It should, thats what its there for. There should also be a "disable bios update" option. With those two enabled I dont see it possible for a virus to get into your bios.