• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A recruiting Contest Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

I have yet another idea. How about a contest that's open to those of other forums. We would need a nice prize but here's how i'm thinking it will go now.

We may could advertise the contest (with support of their mods) for a month on 20-30 different forums. Then run the contest for like 4-6 weeks. If we could get 1000 ppl in the contest, and each had 5 points per day................ Need i say any more.

Now as for the prize, maybe we can have a donation box setup. Someone who everyone will trust, then we could buy a nice XP, or a stick of RAM and put it up.

It's just an idea, please modify as you see fit.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
I hate to be a curmudgeon about this, but I don't think that most forums are going to want to hear from us. Unless one of us is actually an active member of another forum, I don't think it will be well taken for us to use such agressive recruiting techniques.

Nevertheless, lets remember that this forum, *our forum*, is already huge, and a good resource for new members. It doesn't hurt to make some friends here and ask if they would be interested in helping the team.

That, in my opinion, is the best way to proceed. Remember, if you go to another forum and represent yourself as being from team 32, it reflects on everyone here. Let's not be overly aggressive.

flounder43

chrismacan

I have to agree with Flounder, it sounds harmless at the outset but we need to think about it from the other side of the fence...

How would we feel if another forum did the same thing here?

I for one would be a little insulted, but also tempted!

We don't really want to come across that way do we?

Instead of using their forums, why not look for another way to spread word of the contest. We could look at other popular web sites that have no affiliation with forums like ours and see if they would allow us to place info about the contest on their site...

Maybe they would allow it for free as it is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT undertaking...

David

Forums Super Moderator
chrismacan said:
I have to agree with Flounder, it sounds harmless at the outset but we need to think about it from the other side of the fence...

How would we feel if another forum did the same thing here?

I for one would be a little insulted, but also tempted!

We don't really want to come across that way do we?

Instead of using their forums, why not look for another way to spread word of the contest. We could look at other popular web sites that have no affiliation with forums like ours and see if they would allow us to place info about the contest on their site...

I plug Folding @ Home as much as possible on my sites. They don't get much traffic, but I try :D

Gandalf

As soon as the contest was over, they would switch back too there origional team and use the prize against us.

Let's just stick too our Forum. There are many people here who don't FOld that have the potential.

OP
C

Cluster

Hmmm... i guess i was misunderstood. I don't mean going to a team that is already folding like the [H] and causing a ruckus *cough*:D :D DAVID :D :D *cough* but to goto forums that don't have folding teams. I just found one, SysOpt.com has a 30K member base and no folding team. Mind you they have a large seti team. But it we could swing a few ppl from there to here, i mean a month of folding under our name is alot of points for team 32.

OP
C

Cluster

chrismacan said:

I like the idea, anyone got any sites that may be up for it, I'll compile a list, talk with their webmasters, and see what I come up with.

Does THG have a folding team? maybe they'd post it