• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Rising Tide for Rosetta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok I have it up and running. But how do I know I'm working for our team. I don't see any indications that I have joined a team.

And I somehow found a place to join the OC team. But there is no indication on the BOINC manager that I'm on a team, which is a bit weird.

I think more instructions are needed to be sure people actually join the team - assuming I have.

I believe you're right. :salute: and have added this to the earlier post.

You may join our team here:
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team.php

and you'll know you're on our team, when in BOINC, if you:

Open BOINC Manager, and click on the "Projects" tab. And there's a column for the team you have joined, for each project you work with.

Attachments

• BoincManager1.png
    BoincManager1.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
So I can't seem to get this to work in funtoo. I followed the gentoo directions but the boincmgr gives me "error retrieving current status". When I try using boinccmd I get error 155. But both my account and root is part of the boinc group. I'm not sure what is going on here. Anyone have any ideas?

Also when I tried to launch boinc_client like some site suggested before using either manager the client seg faults with a buffer overrun error.

You open the BOINC manager by using he ADVANCED key?

edit: Got it working. I forgot that I had boinc as a service, so there was another client running because it was the service. I'm leaving my initial question/errors below in case someone else is searching and has a similar issue.

advanced key? I'm not sure what that is. I tried opening it via gnome, and via cli. When at the cli I tried from home directory, from the directory where boinc_client is located and from the directory where the gui_blah_blah password file is. These were all suggestions from the web. So I'm a bit lost and not sure here. I think I might have gotten the boinccmd to work, I've attached to rosetta now and I have my own account, however when I tried to run boinc I did it in root, cause thats how I was able to get boinccmd to work. However apparently boinc_client segfaults as root. I know never to run things as root but I'm just trying to get this working for you guys and it's only for a week or so. Now boinc is telling me it detects another client running, when there is nothing in the process list (ps ax) and I deleted the lockfile. So I'm at another loss here.

@Orion:

The BOINC manager has two modes: simple and advanced. If you are looking at a little rectangle with some simple dots across the front kind of thing - that's the simple mode. Click on the "Advanced" word, and you'll see the REAL BOINC!

The program in the Gnome desktop, will be under "Applications >> System Tools".

Under the new "Unity" (Ubuntu 11.04) desktop, BOINC will be installed under the "Applications" icon, on the left hand side. My BOINC icon wasn't showing until I had the applications agent do a search for it. (at the top of that window that comes up when you click on the Applications icon).

When BOINC starts to install, if it asks "Do you want to attach to a project or to a manager?", choose project. Then scroll down the list of projects and select Rosetta @ Home, and you're in like a porch climber.

@Shelnutt: Can you use the synaptic package manager? There are 4 or 5 different files that have to be added, when you get BOINC manager and BOINC client. They come up automatically in the Synaptic Package Manager - libcurl this, and libcurl that, and then they disappear because of course, I didn't write them down, I just hit enter. I just did this about 5 minutes ago.

I can't help you with Funtoo's set up, but I can re-install Ubuntu onto a flash drive and get the info again (and write it down this time), if it will help you.

Funtoo, huh? I'll have to look that one up.

Last edited:
<snip>

@Shelnutt: Can you use the synaptic package manager? There are 4 or 5 different files that have to be added, when you get BOINC manager and BOINC client. They come up automatically in the Synaptic Package Manager - libcurl this, and libcurl that, and then they disappear because of course, I didn't write them down, I just hit enter. I just did this about 5 minutes ago.

I can't help you with Funtoo's set up, but I can re-install Ubuntu onto a flash drive and get the info again (and write it down this time), if it will help you.

Funtoo, huh? I'll have to look that one up.

Funtoo is a fork(/evolution?) of gentoo. It was forked by gentoo founder Daniel Robins. Long ago he gave up his chiefdom to the Gentoo Foundation, he started getting active again and wanted to make some changes, Gentoo Foundation said no. He forked. Funtoo's main differences are it uses OpenRC, a git based portage and a different networking stack. It stays synced with gentoo though, really all it is, is gentoo but with the stage3 tarballs build around openrc and the new networking stack. Most of the time when I post online I just say I run gentoo cause everyone knows that and when seeking help 99.9% of solutions work flawlessly on both distros. Only sometimes configuration files are in different locations because of openRC.

I've got everything crunching now though, I think I had two issues. 1) I messed up following the ebuild instructions I was suppose to use /etc/init.d/boinc attach to attach to the project. I tried that at first but needed to setup an account. 2) I can't use the gui manager unless boinc_client is running. Which it wasn't because I didn't do #1. When I setup and account and tried to attach it via boinccmd it should have worked fine. Just in all the confusion I made mistakes and caused issues I think. In the end there are 6 simple steps anyone running gentoo/funtoo needs to take.

1. emerge -av boinc
  • /etc/init.d/boinc start
  • gpasswd -a username boinc
  • /etc/init.d/boinic attach
  • /etc/init.d/boinc restart

Option is to add it to start at default: rc-update add boinc default

BOINC seems to think its now in charge of my screen saver. How do I stop it from taking over?

In Windows 7, move the mouse cursor to an empty spot on the desktop, and right click, then select "personalize".

When that window opens, go to the lower right hand corner, and click on "screen saver".

I prefer the system just blank out the screen, since it uses no more cpu cycles, but all the choices are there. Choose the background you want, and set the number of minutes before the screen saver should activate.

Click on the Apply and OK buttons when you have made your choices.

You may want to go back to BOINC, and just ensure that it will run in the background, even before the screensaver function activates, depending on how you use your computer.

We've got some fine teammates in Rosetta. It was fun helping them back into #1 RAC status. Well done, all around.

i suddenly have no work available to process ERROR?? is this common in rosetta?

Last edited:
No, Rosetta has a very high average of good work units, with excellent availability. Unlike SETI which is having server problems and is difficult to get enough wu's from.

You might also check the Rosetta forum. Probably the number crunching one would be best:
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_index.php

You're quite welcome, drshivas.

Last edited:
Looks like its all fixed and back to crunching.

It's nice to be able to load up on work in case of some server problem. Too bad FAH wasn't as accommodating.

Back