• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A router question that I can not answer..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

A friend asked me a question and I can not give an answer. So I will ask what he asked me. He wants to purchase a Linksys wireless router and a wireless PCI card, but he does not want to hard wire the PC, but instead place the PCI card in the main PC and have the PC talk to the router via the cable modem and router with no other PC involved. What he really needs is a Wireless modem to his PC if there is such an item.

In my wiring configuration for my wireless Linksys system I have the cable from outside hard wired to the cable modem, then hard wired to the router and then hard wired to the PC through a NIC card. Then I use a wireless PCI card to my son’s computers.

Now if I am not mistaken the main PC has to have the router software installed and on my son’s computer with the PCI wireless card has additional software installed. I don’t think that what he is asking will work.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
DodgeViper said:
place the PCI card in the main PC and have the PC talk to the router via the cable modem and router with
I don't understand this part.

From the sounds of it, he wants a cable modem that is wireless, without using a router. You could use a regular wireless access point, which would connect you directly (internet ---> cable modem ---> WAP --wireless--> wireless PCI NIC), if that's what he's interested.

Other than that, I would suggest using a wireless router... internet ---> cable modem ---> wireless router --wireless--> wireless PCI NIC.

OP
DodgeViper

DodgeViper

His problem is the cable comes into the house on one side of the house and the computer is on the other side. For whatever reason he thought he could use a wireless Linksys to send the internet to his computer by the means of wireless from trhe cable modem. When I thought about this it does not work that way. What he needs is a wireless modem, wireless NIC card and I have not seen such an item.

su root

A wireless router should work, as long as the signal gets there. You would connect the cable modem to the wireless router, and then put a wireless PCI card in, and everything should be peachy

OP
DodgeViper

DodgeViper

From reading your last post he should be able to purchase a Linksys G series wireless router and attach the outside cable to >>>modem >>>> wireless router then signal from the wireless router will travel through the airwaves to a PCI wireless card to his computer provided that the distance is not to great to receive the signal. Correct?

su root

Yup.
You would need a wireless router, and a wireless PCI NIC.

Name brands vary, I havn't used one enough to like it more than others yet, so I can't recommend any.

Make sure you have a bit of a line of sight. Too many walls will kill the signal, and you might need a booster, or an antenna upgrade.

Supchaka

My DSL modem and wireless router are on top of a hutch out of sight in the kitchen, I have 2 wireless PC's, one in the living room and one in the kids room. Its no problemo

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
This will work. Hook your Modem to the WAN port of the router and use the wireless PCI card on the computer. No troubles at all from that. Basically, you're using the router as an access point only. Piece of cake.

The only thing that you can not do to the router, is to upgrade the firmware via wireless but then, how often does that happen?

camfortner

Registered
Re: Re: A router question that I can not answer..

su root said:

I don't understand this part.

From the sounds of it, he wants a cable modem that is wireless, without using a router. You could use a regular wireless access point, which would connect you directly (internet ---> cable modem ---> WAP --wireless--> wireless PCI NIC), if that's what he's interested.

Other than that, I would suggest using a wireless router... internet ---> cable modem ---> wireless router --wireless--> wireless PCI NIC.

I second your suggestion, he just has to use the AP-Router to connect him from the modem to the computer. No Hardwiring needed.