• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A simple cooling mod that worked better than expected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randy

Yesterday I had some rare and unexpected free time, well I have been wanting to try out an idea that I got after reading Hoots cohesive cooling posts and article . I have an old free standing nautral gas fire place that is no longer in use (stored in my shop) It had an dual AC blower in it that put out like an M16 an is fairly quiet (est. 35 to 40 db-a) so I pulled it out and cleaned it up, plugged it in and tested it to make sure it still worked. I went to coast to coast and bought two 4in. x 8ft. lenghts of flexible ducting and went to work first I cut off a small length and attached it to the delta on my sk6 then I attached the other end to the 80MM sunnon case fan (after turning it around to be an intake) I put a filter kit on it and then attached the remaining lenght of ducting to the filter enclosure and ran it to the left side of the dual blower assy. I then ran the second lenght from the right side of the dual blower assy to the filter enclosure of the side intake blow hole to cool the case. I have two fans in my psu and an 80MM sunnon 40 cfm exhaust on top of my case as well as 2 80MM sunnon intakes in the lower front. I pluged the dual blower assy in to a switched surge protecter and turned it on before I turned on my pc I could feel cool air coming out of the top blow hole and the psu exh as well as the lower front. I turned the pc on and let it run for a few mins. Right off the bat I saw my system and cpu temp were way cooler than before this mod after running it a couple of hrs. and running Sandra burn in wizard in loop mode for an hour this is what I came up with.
Previous systemp 78F @ 72F ambient
Previous cpu temps idle 37C Load 45C @ 1.54
1.9 vcore
Current system temp 71F @ 72F ambient
Current cpu temps idle 32C Load 38C
Total out of pocket expense 7.95 for the two lenghts of flexible ducting. I was was real happy with the results for the amount of time spent (maybe an hour) and now I have my rig off the floor and back in the cabinet in my pc desk. I don't know where anyone could buy this type of dual blower unit but I'm sure their still avalible. I'll post a pic of the unit if anyones interested.
Randy

Updated Sig.

I have also used that idea to get temps done. I have an industrial blower rated at 160cfm. I am running it at a reduced voltage to make it a bit quieter. It worked like a charm!!

Geat idea ... Im going to have to look into that ducting.

my 6'' 235cfm fan is comming tomorrow I cant wait

The blower unit I am using is a Fasco industries,Inc.
# 7002-1241 type U02B V115 HZ 60 Amp 1.2
HP 1/50 RPM 3000 I really like the dual outlets but one could acheive the same results with a single outlet unit and a PVC "Y" adapter. I have no idea what the cfm rating of this unit is but I would estimate it at 100 cfm per side.
Randy

Where did you find information on this Blower?
I take it that cfm rating is per side as there are two complete fan assemblies driven off the center mounted 3000 rpm motor. Thanks,
Randy

If you guys have a Grainger near you, you can rifle through there catalog and find all sorts of set ups that are similar. The only thing is you need a commercial account. I have an account and they have so much 12v fan setups you wouldn't believe it.

Very neat idea! Do you mind if we post this as an article??

Joe Citarella

Please send me your email address; also, if you have a picture of the ducts going into your PC, that would be a good addition.

I sell those exact blowers for the firplaces we install. Technically it is rated at 160 CFM, but the reality is about 140 CFM. Our part number is a GFK-160A

JoeC (Jul 31, 2001 04:42 p.m.):
Please send me your email address; also, if you have a picture of the ducts going into your PC, that would be a good addition.

I had to pull my rig out of the cabinet to get a shot of the ducts going in the side and back, you can't see the ducting when it's slid in the cabinet. I mounted the blower assy on the back side of my scanner cabinet, so that it wouldn't be an eyesore, it's nearly an invisible mod now.
Randy

Froggy (Jul 31, 2001 07:08 p.m.):
I sell those exact blowers for the firplaces we install. Technically it is rated at 160 CFM, but the reality is about 140 CFM. Our part number is a GFK-160A

Maybe I missed it somewhere but where do you work?

Froggy, what do those replacement blowers go for?
a few of my friends would like to do this mod and have asked me about price and availability. TIA
Randy

Back