• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a true 2G Athlon XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iconboy

Registered
does anyone have any idea/estimate/guesstamation as to when the frig AMD is gonna get off their *** and release a TRUE 2G Athlon XP? Im sick and tired of these 2000+ models that are actually just 1.67G :(

i heard that 2100+(1.73G) is the last from the XP family...for 2G you may have to wait for the Hammer...just my guess i could be wrong.

there will be more xp's but the 2100+ will be the last palamino core xp the 2200+ and higher will all use the new throughbred core witch will use the .13 micron pocess and use less vcore then curent xp's i think i heard 1.65v but i'm not sure

You must be talking about the XP2500 which will operate @ 2000MHz:D

Very nice processor since it will run on all Athlon T-bird compatible motherboards with a little tweaking. Multipliers are now locked!;) which means that AMD can now ramp as many MHz as they need without having to worry about any Motherboard incompatibilities. Even a 20X multiplier could be forced even if your motherboard doesnt even support it!

AXIA

bobt17 said:
there will be more xp's but the 2100+ will be the last palamino core xp the 2200+ and higher will all use the new throughbred core witch will use the .13 micron pocess and use less vcore then curent xp's i think i heard 1.65v but i'm not sure

1.60v according to Xbit's newest news. Yes, the PR BS will keep up with the first t-bred at 2200+ which should be 1733mhz I'm guessing. I hate the PR system too...makes me so mad when I say "I have a 1.8ghz Athlon XP" and people think I mean 1800+ or vice-versa. I'm wondering if the Hammer will still be an Athlon XP or not and if yes then will AMD continue with this PR crap.

From what AMD is saying on their site they have no plans of dropping the PR for quite a long time! Like it or not I think PR is here to stay at least with AMD I don't think you will see Intel go to it though. Just think how bad they would look to joe six pack at 2.2G putting their pr on next to a XP 2000+, considering price etc.

The hammer's won't be AthlonXP's. They aren't even athlons. But yes they will keep the PR rating. But if you think about it, they have to have the PR rating. I think it was very smart to start it. Just like mustangman said, just think if someone went to ACME electronics and saw a 2ghz Intel against a 1.66ghz AMD. Even though the AMD will be faster, the majority of people won't know that. Now if they see a 2ghz Intel against a 2000+ AMD, they'll think hey, AMD has the same speed but it's cheaper. Yes it's kind of a pain trying to explain an overclock but as long as you keep that + on the end(2000+ or whatever) there shouldn't be too much confusion.

]-[itman said:
The hammer's won't be AthlonXP's. They aren't even athlons. But yes they will keep the PR rating.

Where did you hear that? I thought the Athlon was to be the name of their flagship CPU indefinitely. After all, the pentium has been around since 1994. If it won't be Athlon do you know what they'll call it?

Sorry i just re read what i said and i said it wrong(oops). I don't know wether or not they'll be Athlons or not(even though my guess would be no but i'm not sure. I think they are going to call them hammers but again i'm not sure on this). What i am sure of is that they'll new sockets. But they will be using the pr rating.

AMD Will continue with the XP/MP line, as you guys already know. The hammer lineup (clawhammer and sledgehammer). The clawhammer has 754-pins, and the sledgehammer has 940-pins. These will not be compatible with the Socket A. These are 64-bit processors, claw has single channel DDR, sledge has dual channel DDR.

Since they are continuing the XP/MP i'd imagine the hammer line will be expensive and compete with Xeon (clawhammer), and Itanium (sledgehammer).

You got it

The AthlonXP / MP line of processors will countinue to grow with the T-bred then will eventually finish off with the Barton CORE.

The Hammer line of CPUs will be a new bred of technology from AMD. New name, new architecture, new technologies.

AXIA

AXIA said:
The Hammer line of CPUs will be a new bred of technology from AMD. New name, new architecture, new technologies.

*In evil-sounding Nazi voice from RTCW*: I SALIVATE IN ANTICIPATION!

Thanks Hitman, you screwed with my head for a bit there but now I'm ok.

The place I work for is supposed to be getting a 4-way SMP 900mhz Itanium server next month with a terabyte or more of fibre channel RAID-5 SCSI! No idea what OS it'll run or ANYTHING else about it but I can't wait to just look at it and learn more about this new technology.

so there will ne a true 2G athlon xp? there wont? any estimates as to when theyll get around to doing it, because guiys, to tell you the truth thats all im waiting for, as soon as they hit 2G ill get a new comp :)

Back