• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A VERY bad experience with AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
c627627 said:
...and if he had sed a T-Bred, than you would have been right?

PR ratings for desktops started with the 1500+ Palomino.
First Thoroughbred was a 2000+ but later they released lower models like the 1700+ and even later a 1600+ Thoroughbred.

I don't think anyone around here has ever seen a 1600+ Thoroughbred though so it may be that they can only be found in some OEM desktops.

There's no such thing as a 1400+ or a 1500+ Thoroughbred for desktops.

http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

There is in fact a Tbred 1400+ running at 1200 Ghz, but as you said it is not a desktop CPU. It was announced as a mobile version for notebooks, I'm not sure if they ever shipped them.

Rizge, if it ran flawlessly 2 weeks ago, that means that something has changed during this period. You have to isolate it logically. I would do the following.

Set-up everything exactly as it was 2 weeks ago. Re-seat your heat sink properly. In fact, I usually pop out the cpu, clean off the thermal paste, pop it back in and apply a new layer. Then carefully re-install the heat sink, making sure that it is truly properly installed. It is quite common that a hs is not sitting properly especially when installed in the cramped confines of a housing...

Then begin checking all parameters again. The only issues I ever really had when oc'ing my 1.33 T'bird was when I had bad ram. It didn't fail outright, just got more and more unstable, until one day, it wouldn't load windows.

James...it a completely different chip. Yours appears to be a Palomino whereas he's is the original Athlon core on a ceramic base...

...now, if you took off the heat sink, and managed to balance a frying pan on it, you might even be able to fry an egg with it...

...I once powered up my 1.33 forgetting to plug in the hs fan. Fortunately I realized this as I was pressing down on the power button, and shut it down immediately. Total time approximately 5 secs.

...my entire heatsink was at 65 degrees. This chip is bloody hot...

I would advise getting your hands on some euro play money and tracking down a xp 1700 or 2100 in europe somewhere. Another option is to take a trip to Saudi Arabia, Jordon (maybe), Qatar or Kuwait. That kind of harware can be found in those countries with a bit of effort.

Janissary said:
There is in fact a Tbred 1400+ running at 1200 Ghz, but as you said it is not a desktop CPU. It was announced as a mobile version for notebooks, I'm not sure if they ever shipped them.
I thought that was a 1400+ mobile Palomino, you say there's a mobile 1400+ Thoroughbred?

c627627 said:

Athlon XP MHz is not the same as Thunderbird MHz.
Athlon XP PR rating is what Thunderbird MHz is so

Athlon XP MHz is very different from Thunderbird MHz and is very very different from Celeron MHz.

It's important you understand the difference between Thunderbird Megahertz and Athlon XP Megahertz and that PR rating of Athlon XP is the same as Thunderbird measured in Megahertz.

Conclusions are that you are looking at 1500+ at most with your CPU.
One day in the future, maybe you'll be in a position to upgrade to a confirmed Thoroughbred B, this will help you:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

Unfortunatelly, only then will you be able to jump from 1400+ or 1500+ to over 2 Athlon XP GHz which in Thunderbird GHz speak is 2600+ to 3200+.

Clearly limitations of your CPU are 1500+ at most. I don't know if it's worth risking running it that hot to achieve minimal gains from 1400+ to 1500+ because your CPU may not last as long then.
Good luck to you.

lol
no guys u didn't get it or i didn't manage to explain it right
2 weeks ago it worked flawlessly @stock freq @ 74-75*C not fahrenheit
I mean at stock it can run in the ~7X*C without restart than mean the proc is stable at that temp
when i up my fsb and lower my multiplier i can't work even @1000MHZ where my temp is in the high 40
as i said before i have come to a conclusion that my NorthBridge is the Problem
I just took Its HSF OFF reapplied thermal paste and mounted it on
Ohhh....
Look guys
my brother is coming from germany in the early august what shall i ask him to bring with him?
The 1700+ Dl3tc or what ever was that stepping or shall i ask him to get me a 2200+?

But you don't get it that temps like 74-75°C is WAY too hot for overclocking. Maybe OK for a short period of time at stock speed, but that it WAY too hot for overclocking! When you starting taking things out of spec heat becomes more and more an issue that must be dealt with or you will not have any luck or worse yet a dead chip, I have a 1.33 tbird and I won't let it get over 60°C. Over that and you start to see problems when overclocking. It doesn't matter if it runs fine at 75°C stock, but it does matter a LOT when you bring components out of spec. Do that chip a favour, get it some better cooling, my tbird has the stock HSF but with good case ventalation it never goes over 55°C on the hottest days at FULL LOAD.

Defcon1 said:
James...it a completely different chip. Yours appears to be a Palomino whereas he's is the original Athlon core on a ceramic base...

...now, if you took off the heat sink, and managed to balance a frying pan on it, you might even be able to fry an egg with it...

...I once powered up my 1.33 forgetting to plug in the hs fan. Fortunately I realized this as I was pressing down on the power button, and shut it down immediately. Total time approximately 5 secs.

...my entire heatsink was at 65 degrees. This chip is bloody hot...

no, mine is a t/bred b and...well.. thats exaclty my point - the t/brids run hot as hell compared to t/bred's wasnt that the topic at hand or am i missing something:(

yo man thanx i know that
but what i did is not oc/ing
I kept the Frequency @ 1400 (Stock)
I THOUGHT theoretically that having the Proc run at the same freq but changing FSB and Multiplier to suit yourself is no prob
In the two cases it is running at its default speed no oc/ing
and i thought also that i depends upon the Memory and the NorthBridge to take that speed as they are the ones Highed
anyway both of them should work because my mem is rated for 166FSB 2.5-2-2-2 and my Mobo is supposed to be FSB 333 ready with that Nforce2 chipset
To prove this theory i have now overcome some of the problems and i am currently typing that text while opperating @ 1200MHZ (200MHZ*6) @ 166 MEMBUS

I have a 1400mhz Tbird, I ran it at around 1500mhz(upped the FSB, lowered multi just a bit. Oh ya i have the 133FSB model, Best stepping for the tbird) You're not gonna get high speeds off of air cooling with this chip.. I can guarantee that. oh, btw its currently running at 134x10.5(1424mhz - Yes that doesnt seem right on paper, but thats what it's running at :)) my temps are 55*C Load and around 51*C idle...

aw-well, Cant wait to get my 2500 barton :D

Yes, run syncronously. Your motherboard and northbridge should be able to handle 200. Try increasing the chipset voltage, if possible. Try running syncronously at 8*166, and then see if you can increase it from there. If you can get a new processor, the 1700+ DLT3C T-Bred B would be the best choice, but since I understand that it may be difficult for you to find such a specific stepping, a 2100+ would be just about as good, if not better. Good luck.

The same question again :)
If i want to tell my brother in germany to get me a 1700+ T-bredB
DLT3C What is the best stepping available for oc?
Steven4563 has a JIUHB Stepping but I heard that the best
(high-end) Tbred-s are which its Stepping Starts with and A and ends with a B like AIUHB not JIUHB
Somebody help!!

The whole high-end thing tends to be a little meaningless. From what we can gather, AIUHB's and JIUHB's are from the same wafers. AIUHB's canbe found in 1800+'s and higher, but don't be concerned about this. In a nutshell, this is what you want:

1700+ JIUHB DLT3C
1800+ JIUHB or AIUHB DLT3C

Another good choice is the 2100+ AIUHB DUT3C

With 1700+'s and 1800+'s the stock voltage is of main concern. Thus, you want one with DLT3C in the code, which denotes the superior stock voltage of 1.5v.

***My Complete Specs are as following:
Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 100FSB (AYhJA "Y")and yes there are 133FSB & 100FSB ones
Some CoolerMaster HSF which says it works upto 1.4 Tbird and 2000+ XP /w ***

As you can (hopefully) see, this is (one of) your problem(s).

If the cooler is designed to handle 1.4 max, it means that it can do that, just barely. It is always recommended to get a cooling system that is designed to take higher temps, so there is some margin, even if one is not planning to OC. In your case, there is none.
And when you have insufficient cooling to begin with, and start to overclock, it just can't work. Period.

And I would also be tempted to think that the climate in Egypt is pretty hot, which doesn't help in your clocking attempts...

Last edited:
70 C - 75 C is much too hot for even a T-bird 1400. My 1.33 ran at 11x137=1507mhz for a year and a half stable. Temp at idle was 49 C and under load, 54 C. And this is in an overclocked condition.

At 70 C - 75 C, there definitely was something wrong with your cooling...or was it on purpose? Either way, you may already have caused irrepairable damage to your cpu.

When AMD says that their chip will survive 85 C - 90 C, they usually mean that it will survive being heated up to that temp. But they give no guarantee that it will continue to operate normally at that temp. Also, when they test this, they generally heat up the chip (of lets it heat up) to that temp, and hold it there for a specified period of time, which is MUCH shorter than 2 weeks...

I've basically found that <60 C is possibly the best temp for running these cpu's. Any higher and they glitch...

I thank you very much fafnir for your help :)
And about this watercooling issue i've got 2 problems
first of all I think this will be my only mobo for 2 year at least so i prefer not to do anything physically
I remember when i moded my brothers P4 Mobo for VCore and VDimm but that was because his GiGabyte Mobo was a cheapo and so didn't has VCore adj. but this one is pricy (for me at least) -100$ is much for me if u care
2- I will post it after all in the Water-Cooling section
3- thanx again for ur help fafnir
anyways,
about the 75*C
It ran so hot because the room temp,himidity were high and because it was a tray proc so no fan with it so i bought one from the same man who said it is supposed to be good
That was before the Cooler-Master

Darth Saul said:
If the cooler is designed to handle 1.4 max, it means that it can do that, just barely
Correct me if i am wrong but isn't the 1.4 the one processor with the most Heat-dissipation @72.4W ?
i don't know about the new barton and the 3000+ so someone correct me if i am wrong
:)

Back