• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A wild 1080ti appears!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Up to current date a 6 GB card, at least for 1080P is still sufficient on VRAM for as good as any game i know of (4 GB can already become a slight issue). 2160P/4K can be more tricky but i suspect this card as a single configuration is still not powerful enough in order to run a 2160P/4K single-chipped. I think the 1080 TI TFLOP value is about 12 TFLOPS (Vega appears to be in this spot aswell). It could even beat the current Titan X Pascal, who knows.

Of course, the core amount is most likely reduced on the TI vs. Titan still but naturally a reduced core count means there is higher clocks possible (lesser instability issues), reason why a TI is in many cases matching or even beating a Titan.

However, i do put lot of trust on the next TI card in line, it may include about 18 TFLOPS (16 TFLOPS is my target for a sufficient single 2160P/4K card) and this is finally a sufficient card. So the next card i´m gonna upgrade is a 2080 TI or however Nvidia may be calling it but this will take more than a year for sure, so i will be very fine using my 980 TI for the next 1+ years, maybe even 2 years. A good OC 980 TI (1400 MHz+) is about 8 TFLOPS in comparison and for 1080P still a powerful card. Of course a GTX 1080 (non TI) at close to 2000 MHz OC may end at around 10-11 TFLOPS and beat the 980 TI by about 20% increased performance. GTX 1080 TI probably at max OC even going up to 13-14 TFLOPs i assume, but still not a sufficient single 2160P/4K card.

AMD unfortunately is pretty much asleep for long time already but i hope they gonna compete another time...

So far, Nvidia didn´t feel the need to use a fully unlocked Pascal on a consumer card, not even the mighty Titan X is fully unlocked but who cares as long as there is no competition... sad bear story.

Last edited:

mackerel

I think it safe to assume the number of cores will be between the Titan XP and 1080, but with possibly higher clocks from the 1080 Ti it could equal or exceed a stock XP.

The ram quantity has been of some debate elsewhere: what size is the memory bus? 384-bit doesn't lend itself to 10GB of ram, so there has been talk if 320-bit would be a better fit.

Ivy

RAM may not be accurate but it simply doesn´t matter. A 8 GB card is more than sufficient and so far even for heavy modded games it works fine with 6 GB. I always worry the raw GPU performance (TFLOP is inaccurate but it says what i feel is important) but nothing else.

Certainly, for the next years to come, 6 GB is minimum for hassle free performance on any game possible. 8 GB will give even more headroom which is recommended soon.

Clearly, 4 GB is soon in a problematic position on certain games, but a 4 GB card will not be able to play many games maxed out so... the RAM demand will decrease automatically.

Last edited:

mackerel

I don't think there'll be any major performance surprises with a 1080 Ti. We know it'll have a core count between XP and 1080, and performance will depend a bit on where the clocks end up. It will just come down to how it is priced if you might pick the cards either side of it instead, or maybe AMD will finally come out with Vega.

On 4GB, in part that made me glad I didn't stick with the Fury X I had before. I've already seen games use up the 6GB on the 980 Ti I replaced it with.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I don't think anyone does. There are enough rumors on the net to read between the lines and know what this thing is going to be. My predictions were ~20% faster than a 1080 while bothers are at FE speeds. ;)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Im going to guess a price drop on the NVIDIA lineup but it will come in $50 higher than 1080 MSRP.

Let me clarify... $700 was MSRP for FE... I'm betting $750. Upon release price drops in the 1080 to $500+ (selling for $600+ now) and 1070 $350 (selling for $390 now). So, I don't see a $150 difference for a 20% gain being a problem marketwise. :)

Last edited:

Ivy

50 USD only for a 20% increased performance card? This would be a bargain in Nvidia terms... i guess 100 USD is more accurate in most cases. Of course the "flagship" issue is always apparent, it will not mean good value but best performance.