• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gautam said:
That'd be funny Dave if I didn't mention it in the last post. :rolleyes: :p

I must be losing my touch :eh?: :bang head

Getting a Mobile A64 to work right is a gamble...Jeff at XR had so much trouble with his Mobile A64 3200+ ClawHammer posting correctly on his Epox nForce3 250GB mobo that he returned it. So I guess the MSI K8N Neo Platinum would be the best mobo choice for Mobile A64s?

oc_byagi said:
nice gautam, make sure to add 2600+ SOCKET 754 AHTLON 64, I think it's already out in Japan.

The multiplier for the 2600+ may not be enough to max out an A64, ....

It is x8 for 512 KB L2.

I couldn't match you if my life depended on it Hitechjb1. :clap:

I don't know if this should be a sticky in it's own right. I could PM a mod, but I have a feeling that if every sticky-worthy thread were made to be one here, the entire front page would consist of nothing but stickies. (This actually did happen in the watercooling section.) If you'd like, I can add the top post by itself to your thread. I've been updating it on both forums according to members' suggestions. Funny how much repeated information there is betweenn the two of us. ;)

DaveX said:
Getting a Mobile A64 to work right is a gamble...Jeff at XR had so much trouble with his Mobile A64 3200+ ClawHammer posting correctly on his Epox nForce3 250GB mobo that he returned it. So I guess the MSI K8N Neo Platinum would be the best mobo choice for Mobile A64s?
Judging from Tedinde's and others' success, I would say that this is a safe bet. However, if you look at Bar81's thread, he mentions that there are some issues with it, but I'm not clear what. I'll shoot him a PM about it.

Silent Buddha said:
I think a Socket 939 FX would be considered a ClawHammer. One of the main distinguishing features of Socket 940 Sledgehammers are the extra HT links, which Socket 939 doesn't have (no dual-FX for Socket 939 :( ). So 1MB L2 cache, no extra HT links = ClawHammer

Oh yeah, sticky :D

I am now beginning to lean towards it being a clawhammer - but I cant see how this can be the differentiator as the Socket 940 FX which was considered a sledgehammer (correct?) had only one 16 bit HT link whereas the FX53 939 has the same? One differentation obviously is the speed (940 was 3.2GB/Sec and the 939 is 4GB/s in both directions) but that is not a core differentiator.
Is it because like cache on the earlier L2 512KB Sledgehammers, the extra HT's were disabled on the 940 FX's and the 939's only have 1 as standard (like the L2 512KB Newcastle cache) to start with?

OC Detective said:
Is it because like cache on the earlier L2 512KB Sledgehammers, the extra HT's were disabled on the 940 FX's and the 939's only have 1 as standard (like the L2 512KB Newcastle cache) to start with?

That's what I think at least :) I always though the Socket 940 FX's only had 1 HT link enabled but I think somewhere I saw a dual Socket 940 FX workstation?

Opterons all have the links, IIRC, and so does the FX. It's just that seven of them are disabled for single-way procesors.

CandymanCan said:
newegg is selling 2800+ newcaslte's that are AP which means they are CO steppings.

How sure are u that ALL newcastles are CG stepping, cuss going from newegg youre wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...frcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4954
This is a common misconception. Newegg is in fact wrong, and I believe CPU-Z detects them incorrectly as well. They are in fact Clawhammer cores with half the cache disabled. If you pop the heatspreader, the full-size core lies underneath. It's just like the T-Breds are 256k cores themselves, but Thortons are Bartons with half the cache disabled.

Gautam said:
It's weird all right. Anything I can clarify?

Naw that's alright Gautam I'm sure 99% of these questions will be answered though a combination of printing this thread while tweaking actual product. you know "hands on".:)

There are sooo many typos in this it's ridiculous. I wrote it up in about 15 minutes and never looked back. I think I fixed some of them. Maybe that was at XR though...

What a great wealth of information.

Clarified a few things although I think I need to re-read the memory dividers section.

Should be stickied.

Back