• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 3200 + Chaintech VNF3-250 = SWEET!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WA2

Wow...1st boot I put the voltage to 1.65 and the fsb to 240...boots up to 2.4+ with out a single catch!! Has been running 3DMark03 for 45 or so checking stability..I was thinking I was not going to get a nice oc out of the 64's, but damn...2.4 on the 1st boot has gotten me excited! Will push further in a bit. I have no idea what I am doing yet in the bios. I am not familiar with any of the settings on these boards.

My temp is -46c

hooah

is that the 512KB Newcastle core (2.2Ghz) or the 1MB Clawhammer core (2.0Ghz), nice work, let us know what it tops out at. I got my newcastle core 3200+ to 2.53 but it wasn't fully stable, 2.495 was however with stock cooling. These new round of motherboards are helping the A64 overclocks alot. They still lack the huge oc of P4's though. Can you imagine an extra 800mhz on a 2.2Ghz 3200+...drools

OP
WA2

WA2

I am taking it slow, I have no idea what I am doing it the bios :( . They chip is Clawhammer. =) Sweet oc on your chip.

How do I adjust the damn multiplier?? Forgot..only fsb, huh...

250fsb now, 2510Mhz

hitechjb1

WA2 said:
Wow...1st boot I put the voltage to 1.65 and the fsb to 240...boots up to 2.4+ with out a single catch!! Has been running 3DMark03 for 45 or so checking stability..I was thinking I was not going to get a nice oc out of the 64's, but damn...2.4 on the 1st boot has gotten me excited! Will push further in a bit. I have no idea what I am doing yet in the bios. I am not familiar with any of the settings on these boards.

My temp is -46c

What cooling is used?

Is the temperature +46 C or -46 C?

OP
WA2

WA2

-46c...went up to -38 after benching. Cooling is Mach II. Doubt it will do me much good on these chips, memory is going to be the key factor here.

hitechjb1

I saw some of these 754 A64 CG NewCastle/ClawHammer (3000 - 3200+) go to 2.7 - 2.9 GHz under extreme cooling, not sure whether they are full load stable at these frequencies though.

Last edited:
OP
WA2

WA2

I tried to boot at 260fsb, I get the safe mode deal on boot. Looks like I will have to learn about the bios...

OP
WA2

WA2

I get my 3400 in the morning. Got is for 325 over at Anand. had the dude ship it overnight...if this thing can do 2.5...damn...I wonder what the 3400 will do..wOOt!!

Jhatfie

Have you dropped your HT frequency to 3x in bios? Mine freezes up at 4x with a HTT of 240 or so on my VNF3-250. So start there. The absolute limit is 272 that I can run. That is the same on my old AN50R as well so I am thinking that is my chips limit.

If you get the beta bios you can adjust the multi down. I have it if you need it. You can also use clockgen to play with the multi and do some real-time overclocking.

OP
WA2

WA2

I have not done a thing yet. Will give thta a try and see what happens. =)

CandymanCan

Disabled
WA2 said:

My temp is -46c

HUHUR, when i was first reading this i thought you were using like air or watercooling, but ur using A prommy, yawn. Nice overclock i guess, whe nur learn more about the biosi really hope u can get more :thup:

OP
WA2

WA2

CandymanCan said:
HUHUR, when i was first reading this i thought you were using like air or watercooling, but ur using A prommy, yawn. Nice overclock i guess, whe nur learn more about the biosi really hope u can get more :thup:

yawn this buddy! :p

I dont think that the overclock on this chip is going to have a lot to do with heat...seeing how you cant adjsut the multiplier. I feel like the ability of the memory is what is going to limit people. Like now, I cant get over 250fsb. Obvious that the cause it not due to heat....

Found the Ht settings..what does this do? :confused:

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Congrats. You may need to lower your LDT at this point. Memory should never get in the way. I'm guessing you already "know all that," but this may help you.

Yes, A64's overclock oddly. You can expect about 200-300MHz more from phase-change compared to air, and voltage accomplishes a lot less than you may be used to.

CandymanCan

Disabled
WA2 said:
yawn this buddy! :p

I dont think that the overclock on this chip is going to have a lot to do with heat...seeing how you cant adjsut the multiplier. I feel like the ability of the memory is what is going to limit people. Like now, I cant get over 250fsb. Obvious that the cause it not due to heat....

Found the Ht settings..what does this do? :confused:

Hur this buddy :beer: lol, look for one the chaintech board isnt really good for overclocking thats why ur not able to get very far. Also if you have been reading it isnt a memory issue, you can ru nthese cpu Asynce with the memory, that why peopel are running 300HTT and only 210 fsb on thier memory. I bet once you figure that out youll be getting much higher.

OP
WA2

WA2

CandymanCan said:
Hur this buddy :beer: lol, look for one the chaintech board isnt really good for overclocking thats why ur not able to get very far. Also if you have been reading it isnt a memory issue, you can ru nthese cpu Asynce with the memory, that why peopel are running 300HTT and only 210 fsb on thier memory. I bet once you figure that out youll be getting much higher.

Put hte HT to 3 and am now at 260FSB now. I dont know what Asynce with mem means and only 210fsb..why only 210fsb?? I dont know jack about these new boards. :(

The Chaintech is one of the best boards out there to overclock on, I did my homework. One quick review is to just check the round up at Anand..Chaintech was the best in OC. I am getting the Epox here shortly, maybe that will do me better. I am VERY happy with where I am now. The 3400 should be here today, too.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
You can use a series of CPU/memory dividers. The HTT and memory speed are not directly related. It doesn't really matter how fast your HTT is running, your memory can run according to whichever divider you want off of the CPU speed. I tried to explain it the link I gave above.

OP
WA2

WA2

Gautam said:
You can use a series of CPU/memory dividers. The HTT and memory speed are not directly related. It doesn't really matter how fast your HTT is running, your memory can run according to whichever divider you want off of the CPU speed. I tried to explain it the link I gave above.

I cant find a divider on in the bios. I can run the mem at 200, 166, 133, and 100. Then I can raise fsb to 300. I am guessing that is where I need to mess with. As I said, I am so new to these...will take a while before I am use to it. Thanks for the input, though =)