• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 overclocking with single/double sided dimm's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jhatfie

So I did some testing last week with my OCZ PC3500 EB and I'd thought I'd share my much different HTT results when using single and double sided dimms:

One is a 512MB double sided stick and the other is a single sided 256MB stick. Both top out at about 255 at 3-2-2 timings (memtest86 error free) although they both can bench at 270+ with 3-4-4 timings (not stable though). Currently my Chaintech VNF3-250 and A64 3000+ combo tops out at a max 273 HTT that it will run with both sticks in place (even using memory divider). Same limit is reached when just running just the 512MB stick. However, with the single sided 256 MB dimm I can actually raise my HTT to 300. Max stable overclock is still the same though. I am still testing, but I thought I'd share my results so far.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Weird, I can't get anywhere with my double sided KHX3000 at 1t. Tops out at 240 firm. But somewhere around 260 at 2t with 3-2-2 timings. Yours does way better. It's looking like the SPD chip is what's messing things up, and the OCZ looks like an awesome choice for A64's.

CPL.Luke

if you lower the cpu multiplier you should get all of them to 300 while using the mem divider

hitechjb1

Jhatfie said:
So I did some testing last week with my OCZ PC3500 EB and I'd thought I'd share my much different HTT results when using single and double sided dimms:

One is a 512MB double sided stick and the other is a single sided 256MB stick. Both top out at about 255 at 3-2-2 timings (memtest86 error free) although they both can bench at 270+ with 3-4-4 timings (not stable though). Currently my Chaintech VNF3-250 and A64 3000+ combo tops out at a max 273 HTT that it will run with both sticks in place (even using memory divider). Same limit is reached when just running just the 512MB stick. However, with the single sided 256 MB dimm I can actually raise my HTT to 300. Max stable overclock is still the same though. I am still testing, but I thought I'd share my results so far.

Would be useful if you can put up some Sandra bandwidth numbers, may help to show some trends, merits of the various memory settings and bus frequencies, for further understanding, ....

OP
J

Jhatfie

CPL.Luke said:
if you lower the cpu multiplier you should get all of them to 300 while using the mem divider

With both dimms or my double sided dimm installed I max out at HTT 270-ish regardless of CPU or HT multiplier and/or memory divider. I wonder if this bottleneck is a limit of the onboard memory controller of my particular 3000+ or is motherboard related. My old AN50R had the same problem topping out at the same 270-275 with this same CPU.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
This sounds like an issue that some of the MSI boards are having. Regardless of what you do, they sometimes just hit a rock wall at 240MHz HTT. Very hard to explain why... It doesn't make any sense why double-sided sticks are stopping you at 270.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Well i know im new to A64 but i have always known single sidded was better then double sidded. This only prooves it again. Aparently Samsung chips are the best for my motherboard.

An Epox Tech in this forum i go to for help about the board said that Sammy are best for my board single sidded are even better.