• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Y.E

hey all,

do u think its worth getting an A64 3000+ right now? i will be getting the Asus kt8 deluxe board with it and i wont be overclocking. I know that the 939 is suposed to come out but when will it come out? and how much will it be when it does.

if it will come out soon (one month) and will be around the same price as the 3000+ then ill wait but i need another computer.

the alternative is barton 2800+ and i wont overclock no matter what comp i buy.

any ideas sugestions will be greatly appreciated im willing to consider alternative solutions if u have any.

THanx Y.E

Graphic67

Do not think that the 939 pin package will REPLACE the 754 pin Athlon 64 chips (with a Performance Rating). The 754 package will remain for some time as a lower cost desktop solution and as the primary mobile solution. Since the 939 pin package will be dual channel DDR (non ECC), it should have higher performance at the same clock as 754 pin versions. Given this, expect pricing to be between the 754 pin Athlon 64's and the Athlon 64 FX line.

The upcoming 939 pin socket for the Athlon 64 will offer some advantages besides using non ECC ram: The motherboards when they come out and reach stable prices in the marketplace should be less than the socket 940 boards due to reduced manufacturing costs (6 layer boards for 940's, but only 4 layers are needed for 939's).

The 754 pin Athlon 64 3000+ is a reasonably priced cpu and the motherboards are not outrageously priced like the server grade 940 pin boards. Your memory costs will be slightly lower with a 754 than a 940, but about the same as you will see with a 939 board.

If you are looking to build a new machine now, the 754 pin 3000+ is a good bet as the ONLY BUDGET 64 bit Windows compatible processor...

Maxvla

what i've decided to do is get the 3000+ and a cheap NF3 150 chipset board. once the NF3 250 comes out i will sell the 150 board and adopt the new board. I might lose 20-30 dollars on the board but i will have had the great speed for several months. 250 isn't due out until march which means it'll be out in april or may. i don't feel like waiting an extra 4-5 months for similar performance as i can get right now.

the soltek SL-K8RN-RL NF3 150 board is what i'm going to get. its only 105 dollars shipped from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-049&depa=1&section=2

OP
Y

Y.E

thanx for the replies ... so in your opions i should get a 64 comp rather than a xp comp.....

i dont intend on upgrading anything after this so sould i go with via or an nforce3 150? i dont think i need sata or raid but i need onboard sound and lan

thanx y.e

Graphic67

Take a look at this page: http://www.amdboard.com/k8boards.html and check out some of the liked reviews of the various boards. Keep in mind that this page lists some boards which are pre-production.

The Abit KV8-max3 has quite a few nice features like SATA raid, Firewire, USB2, Gigabit Ethernet, onboard sound.... But sells for $160 or so. (Based on VIA K8T800 chipset)

Maxvla

Y.E said:
thanx for the replies ... so in your opions i should get a 64 comp rather than a xp comp.....

i dont intend on upgrading anything after this so sould i go with via or an nforce3 150? i dont think i need sata or raid but i need onboard sound and lan

thanx y.e
Well since you are not overclocking... the via chipset can use the full 800mhz HT bus compared to 600mhz for the NF3 150. the NF3 250 will have a 1000mhz Hypertransport bus.

At stock speeds the Via is going to be a few percent faster than the NF3 150. Now if you can deal with the typical via driver problems and reliability problems than the via board will be a better performer. I'd rather stay away from the via even though it will cost me a few %.

i think XP based computers are nearing the end of their capabilities. Look around for the best setups and see if that would be enough for you for however long you intend to go without upgrades. If thats not enough I'd look at A64. Its more expensive but will perform alot better and thus last you longer.

OP
Y

Y.E

well ive used via for a while and had no problems is there driver issues with the k8 chipset?

Maxvla

Y.E said:
well ive used via for a while and had no problems is there driver issues with the k8 chipset?
not that i know of. i was just talking about the general problems they always seem to have.

Shade00

I don't know anything about the Abit board, but the Asus K8V Deluxe has fantastic onboard sound. As Maxvla said, the K8T800 chipset will be a little bit faster than the Nvidia at stock. I would also agree that if you are willing to put out the cash for it, the A64 is the way to go. It'll last you a good while longer than a non-overclocked Athlon XP system.

OP
Y

Y.E

ok thanx alot for the advice .... looks like a64 3000+ and a via board (prob asus deluxe) ...... a quick question on a different topic does the wire trick work with pallys as well?

Quailane

DEFINATELY buy the 3000+, you wont regret it. Get some good ram, but it doesn't have to be anything super fancy, just enough to overclock the cpu to 2.2Ghz. At these speeds, its performance is pretty much on-par with a stock fx-51, even though it is single channel memory and half the l2 cache.

OP
Y

Y.E

ok thanx alot .... a couple of more questions:

how will 64bit apps efect their speed i mean will a 64bit app run faster than a 32bit app?

do u need a 64bit os inorder to run 64bit app?

thanx y.e

Cisco Kid

Consider the MSI K8T board it has done very well in reviews

A buddy of mine got a A64 3000+ and the Asus Deluxe K8T for a smoking deal $305 US both used less than a month. So deals are out there.

Cisco KId