• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Deluxe...very strange

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

Here is the specs:

A7N8X deluxe Version 2.0
450W PSU
PC3200 Kingston HyperX
1700+DULT3C
80GB HDD
DVD/CD-R
Geforce4 64MB

I had this system running for a week and worked great, flawlessly at 200fsbX11 = 2200mhz
then I took them aparted and travelled to diff location (15,000 miles trip but packed very well and the luggage was carried on-hand) then put back together it does not even boot up, no beep , nothing

I have done the following ...

--- changed PSU
--- changed RAM slot
---- Reconnected wires
----changed power cord
---- clear CMOS
but still no luck ..

btw the green light between agp/pci is on, so I guess that is a good sign.
can someone help plz

dreammmatt

o_O...though you said the green light it on - i still must wonder, did this 15,000 mile trip take you someplace where the power could be different necessitating the flip of the switch on the PSU to a different voltage? and try using just the mobo and video card, i think u should be able to get into the bios without the cpu, ram, or anything else connected - if u can get into the bios that way, start adding stuff back piece by piece. umm...no other ideas off the top of my head....weird issue though...if u get around to it, make sure the cpu core didnt get bashed/cracked.

OP
KGH

KGH

yes I did realize the diff in Voltage, as I changed from 115 => 230 on the back the PSU :)

WOW get into BIOS just Mobo + vcard and NO cpu ? umm did not think of that
I will try

ThePCGuy

KevinN, You do in fact need the CPU, Memory, Video Card, Etc. What you are looking to do is eliminate the extras from the system by making it as basic of a setup as possible. From there you hope to access the bios. Could there possibly be a grounding issue on the motherboard with the case? You could always try taking the motherboard completely out of the case and running it like that. That eliminates the chance for a mis-placed ground. Best of luck.

- ThePCGuy

OP
KGH

KGH

ThePCGuy said:
KevinN...Could there possibly be a grounding issue on the motherboard with the case? You could always try taking the motherboard completely out of the case and running it like that. That eliminates the chance for a mis-placed ground. Best of luck.

- ThePCGuy

You're the man !!!

great job :) running good now

thank you !

ThePCGuy

::chuckle:: dgk. Good point! I am sure that he understands that after you remove the board and other internals, that you remount it all taking caution not to ground against the case :). Just a thought.

- ThePCGuy

dgk

Once a month I teach some programming as a volunteer. I couldn't justify the cost of a laptop just for that so I rigged my own portable. Got a very small board and an TB-950 cheap. A small 180 watt PSU and a spare drive. Small keyboard. A mouse. The location had a Barco projector and a monitor so I didn't need a screen.

Kept the MB in the box it came in. For quite a few months I just took the parts in my knapsack and plugged it together. The best part was starting it with a key. I used the key to short the powerswitch jumper. Started each and every time. Then, last year for Black Friday Best Buy had a $500 1.5 Celeron Toshiba. I put the parts into a case and gave it to my brother. Kept the PSU though.

But it did look funny. People learned as much about how a computer really operates as they learned about programming.

ThePCGuy

DGK, Thats hilarious, I remember running my orginal Epox 8rda+ Rev 1.1 + Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino chip with 1GB PC2700 crucial sitting on my desk because my aluminum case came in damaged. It ran great ;).

- ThePCGuy