• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X - Does it have SATA Raid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I was about to buy the A7N8X when I began to question if it has raid. Newegg's description says it has sata raid 0/1, but none of the reviews I've read say anything about raid period - except no IDE raid. I don't care if it doesn't have ide raid - I just want sata raid, but it's not clear if it has this or not. Does anyone know for sure?

pudgy-duck

I just ordered the ASUS A7N8X. In order to use the Serial ATA RAID functions, you will need either a Serial ATA hard drive, which as far as I know aren't available yet, or an serial ata to EIDE adapter. Highpoint has the Rockethead 100 adapter, but they only sell it with their Highpoint PCI Serial ATA controller board. You can't buy them separately. Abit has an adapter, but again you can't buy just the adapter.

I have too many other devices on my regular EIDE ports, without putting my hard drives back on them. I wasn't going to order this board until I found an adapter. Finally found one. The SIIG SCSATA12. Go to pricegrabber and enter SIIG scsata12 in the search window, and it will list about 8 vendors who sell these. It doesn't look as nice as the High Point adapter, but since I don't have a case window, all I care is that it works.

I will be installing this stuff over Thanksgiving weekend. I will post how well this works or doesn't work later, if anyone is interested.

Pudge

cypher

yes you can buy the adaptors, I found mine which are 3ware on pricewatch. Just search for SATA, they cost about $45 each though.

pudgy-duck

cypher;

How good is your SATA RAID working? Any file corruption or other problems. Did you do a SANDRA hard drive benchmark?

Pudge

cypher

have had no problems on my A7V8X board number are about even with IDE raid. I don't have exact number right now as I am in the process of switching to the A7N8X and it looks like one of my Maxtors are failing. Waiting for some new WD 8mb catch.