• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7v266-e won't boot, help would be appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmineX

I am in need of technical support. I have an asus a7v266-e motherboard with 512 megabytes of ddr 2100 memory, an amd athlon xp 1600+ cpu, a geforce 4 ti 4600 video card, a soundblaster live 5.1 sound card, and a generic 56k modem. My configuration has been the same for the last few months, and has been working perfectly. Within the last week or so, my system has stopped booting. I cannot even get into bios. I have tried other video cards in the same system, and it still does not display anything. If I try the geforce 4 in other computes, it does work fine, so the problem is not the video card. The problem is also not because of the monitor, which works fine if connected to other computers. The fans on the motherboard including the cpu fan do spin if I power on the system. The cd rom drives open and close. The problem is that nothing whatsoever appears on the monitor when I try to boot the system. I've been running with the "jumperless" settings enabled, and it's worked fine. I tried to set the jumpers manually to see if that would help, but it still doesn't boot. I flashed the bios using the asus update program on the same night that the computer stopped working, so I'm wondering if that might've caused a problem. I used the 1011 bios, I believe, from the ftp.asus.tw site. The system started displaying letters and numbers all over the screen shortly thereafter, even in bios. It would start to boot, and then reset itself suddenly. Then, it stopped displaying anything on screen at all.
Help would be appreciated, as I would rather not purchase a new motherboard if I can help it. I only bought the motherboard recently, I would assume it's still under warranty. If I cannot get it to work, and it proves to be defective, how would I go about getting it replaced?

Thanks in advance,
-Michael A. Pasqualone
[email protected]

Sounds to me like you hosed your BIOS ROM chip. Rather than going out and buying a whole new motherboard, you could go to www.badflash.com and pick up a new flashROM for your board for a fraction of what it would cost you to pick up a new board. I think that would be the best course of action.

Welcome to the forums!

i had a problem similiar to that, you may want to try cleaning off all the dust buildup on everything (fans/hsf/psu/etc)

Happened to my a7v266-e, I flashed my board and it said successfull, Minutes after I was kicking about in the bios, was working fine, and I shut down booted back up and it wouldnt post anymore. I wish I was not in such a rush that weekend to get my comp working because of a school project, because I would have bought the abit kx7-333 i think it is, instead of buying yet another asus board. This will be my last asus board.

After a7a266 that died, the a7v266 that died, you would think I was retarded for buy another asus with my luck. Oh well...a7v333 has been working lets not jinx it and make it another statistic.

When I had my problem badflash.com was recommended, and someone* could have been Yodums, I honestly cant remember whos name, on the ocseti chat said there was a member on the forms that could do that type of stuff with bios chips.

If you want to get it replace there are two ways. I have not done this but you should be able to contact asus directly and get an rma number and the right instructions for sending the board away, I know this is what I did when I rma'd an AMD chip, I paid for the shipping out there and they Pay for its return fee to you. Your other option is to take it back to the store you got it from and sometimes if they are reallly nice, they will send your board out (sometimes they will even fry it so that they are guaranteed a replacement so that theres no possible way it can post) and will give you a replacement but most of the time if you take it back they will just send out an RMA themselves.

Personaly with experience comparing my rma with amd compared to my cousins rma for a motherboard at a computer store, dealing with them is directly. in some canses stores have to send it to their supplier where they test it and then from there is sent to the company, save yourself two middle men by trying to go directly, and if the store is unorganized and they people there are lazy (like many in my area) it may be a few days before ti actualy gets sent. I have provided all this info because I know that you would want to get it back ASAP.

I'd just like to extend my thanks to you guys for getting back to me so quickly. I really appreciate the help, and now I have a few more options to work with than simply picking up a new board. Thanks agian very much.
-Mike

Back