• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V333 FSB Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

Aight. I'm new to the game.

First off I am running win2k pro on partition 1 and xp pro on partion 2.

Set CPU to manually and memory timing to auto. Took off turbo option and set to optimal. Change frequency to 136. Then XP would not boot. So I tried win2k and it booted fine. Bumped up the fsb to 139 and could boot win2k and was totally stable. XP would not boot. At 140 win2k would not boot.

So I set it to 134 and I couldn't even boot XP with that.. and when I changed things back to normal I couldn't get into XP again. So I reformated the XP partition and am here now.

Is there something special I need to do that I wasn't? :rolleyes:

dgpilot2

Registered
I have the same problem. Win2000 doesnt boot when I set the FSB to anything above 134. And 134FSB will boot but will later crash.
hmm...

OP
KfistoRok

KfistoRok

I got both OS's to run stable at 139 FSB, but neither would boot at 140 at 1.85 vcore.

Maybe I have to up the volts to the mem. I don't know.

dxiw

Disabled
win xp boots fine on mine at 140fsb 1.80v and rock solid stable, also rock solid stbale fine on mine at 145fsb 1.85v

Avalanche

i have an asus a7v266-e and win2k...1 stick 2400 ocz (256) and another one of crucial 2100 256. i can raise my fsb to 148/149ish and itll run...but 150 seems to be the end... or maybe i duno cuz it was taking forever for windows to load up so i just decided id lower it =]

Tru2ya

I can raise mine to 159 and its locked, but compared to others with my cpu, i'm in the lower majority =(. I wish i could raise mine higher.

The Coolest

Try setting the timings to the slowest possible and try again. if it boots then its your RAM, if it doesn't then its ur chip that has hit the limit at the volts you set it to. Also check to see if the RAM isn't running FSB + 33, if it is, try to set it to run with the speed of the FSB and try again and see what happens

OP
KfistoRok

KfistoRok

I don't know anything about ram timmings. Do you have a link to explain ram timmings? Or can you tell me about it?
I don't know what you mean by +33 either. I am new at this.

OC Detective

Tru2ya said:
I can raise mine to 159 and its locked, but compared to others with my cpu, i'm in the lower majority =(. I wish i could raise mine higher.
If you can raise it to 159 you must be able to raise it to 166 as the 1/5 divisor will kick in! At 159 all your PCI's will be running at nearly 40 whereas at 166 they will run at 33

Tru2ya

Ya i know but when i set it at 166 3dmark only runs for 2 seconds and then closes. Someone suggested to run prime95 for a while. He said it helped him with stubborn chips.

tuskenraider

My experience with A7V333

Try running your cpu/ram ratio at 1:1 to have them both run at your current fsb speeds, auto(up to 145mhz) or 4:5 runs your ram at 33mhz faster. So with this setting, a 133mhz fsb will run ram at 166mhz(DDRx2=333mhz) hence the chipsets name, KT333. If you can then run stable at 139 or even a little higher with the 1:1 setting, the ram is holding you back, since in auto it was running at 172mhz, but this ram should be able to handle this in my opinion. If it's the same old, then maybe a pci card doesn't like the pci bus higher than 33mhz, at 139 I believe it's 35. Take out pci cards one at a time and then see if you can go higher, if you can, you find the card that's holding you back. If it's the ram, raising the voltage might help, but the default settings on this board has the voltage set higher already(2.7 instead of 2.5), and I wouldn't go higher unless you want to kill your ram in good time. I'll also add that I use the same mobo and ram with W2K and XP dual boot with no probs ever. Ran my fsb as high as 175 with an unlocked Tbird, but can only get 141 stable with my locked xp(crummy chip). Make sure no oc'ing when installing OS' to prevent install probs. Leave ram settings to SPD as well until you see what your highest stable fsb will be at default ram speeds, then later try to lower timings manually until or if any instability occurs and then back the offending one off. Never use turbo to do this, do it manually. Explaining ram timings can get to technical, just remember, the smaller the number the better, use the 4-bank setting with your chip. You can look them up on google if you want in-depth explanations. Work with only one OS while finding the stability for oc'ing, then install your second OS. Currently I think your XP install got fouled up somewhere, you never know with windows. I've had an MSI board corrupt XP while trying to modestly oc it once and had to do a total reinstall as well, never with this board though. Unlocking your cpu may also help get a higher fsb, but that's another thread. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
KfistoRok

KfistoRok

Much thanks to you tuskenriader! Very in depth. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Only card I have in at the moment is my modem. I can take it out later and give things a try.