• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V333 Raid and random crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ellistar

Registered
Hi guys at the end of my tether here.

I have the following system.

Asus A7V333 Raid
Athlon XP 2100+ cooled by a copper flower
512Mb DDR 2700 (two Sticks)
Geforce pny 4 ti 4600
Audigy player (on board disabled in bios)
Scsi
network card
two hard disks one 30Gb ata 133 on ntfs other fat 32 60Gb
lian li case with a **** load of fans
enermax 550w psu
plextor cd rw
dvd
Jaz drive (i know i know)
running on XP pro

I get random crashes in games only. particularly unreal 2003, dungeon siege and occasionally neverwinter nights.

I have tried all of the latest drivers beta and otherwise but all to no avail updated bios and all the usual crap all to no avail.

I suspect the audigy but cannot prove it. I get crashed and turned off which sounds like the infinite loop but also get crash to desktop and even lock often with sound loop lock as well. these all happen at entirely random times from two seconds into a game all the way to several hours. Dungeon Siege however is awful all the time and became uplayable. All the latest game patches have not helped.

I do not understand I have a system the same a many on these forums that are I understand working well. What have I missed?

please help cos I am fresh out of ideas

Jem

sneakyfart

i noticed you had the on-board sound disabled in the bios, is the jumper on the MB itself disabled? if not it could be the culprit

OP
E

Ellistar

Registered
I am not sure but will check thank you for this. I will repost when I have checked or disabled it.

Jeremy

OP
E

Ellistar

Registered
good idea unfortunately it appears I did check this and disable on board via the jumper when I first constructed this pc. ah well back to the drawing board. but thanks for the suggestion.

any other ideas ladies and gents?

Jeremy

SafirXP

Install the 30.87 Detonator drivers from the M$ update site! I used to get some games crashing back to the desktop, when I had the 40.XX beta drivers installed! Just an idea.. not sure if it'll help.

JoJoMoJo

Just curious also ....didnt see it in your signature..your at default clock speeds too? regarding FSB ect...

OP
E

Ellistar

Registered
yeah default clock speeds for everything no overclocking until I make it work at defaults. I am convinced it is not overheating. I have tried every version of the nvidia drivers from 24 up and all exhibit the same fault to lesser or greater extent. I have had a suspicion of the audigy for a while but have yet to disable it and see. However many others are using one with no problems on very similar systems. Creative drivers are terrible though and I have never approved however what games alternatives are there? I cannot see it is power. the enermax is fine so I would guess it is RAM timing or some other very techy thing. I have tested the RAM with no errors but am not sure it is on the Asus approved list so this may be it.

OP
E

Ellistar

Registered
can someone with this board and preferably Graphics and sound advise on best settings for the Bios? this may well at least illiminate this as a possible.

thanks

Jeremy

OP
E

Ellistar

Registered
have just upgraded my bios from 1008 to 1014. No idea if this will help yet but what the heck. I would still like to know what people are using as settings if they have them as I am currently on defaults and agp card.

Jeremy

JoJoMoJo

not to insult ya as far as basics go but have you tried to relocate which pci slot your audigy is going in. And also looking in your irq resources to see what it is shareing with?

jboy

I'd check your voltages coming off a molex connector. Enermax's have been known to occasionally put out some low voltages, doesn't seem to matter how many watts they have. I had the same problem on a Soyo Dragon+, drove me crazy, and in desperation I swapped out my 350w HEC for a 300 watt Sparkle and goodbye spontaneous rebooting. The HEC is currently powering an EPOX box that runs perfectly. Go figure.I've probably built around 15 computers, and one of the things I've learned is that for some inexplicable reason, a piece of hardware will not work, or stops working, in one machine, but will run problem-free in another. I know it sounds crazy, but computers are cranky, cantankerous machines. Even if your voltages check out OK on the Enermax, I'd try to borrow a different PS. Maybe you'll get lucky and repeat my experience. I'm actually thinking of buying this board from newegg, so I'm interested in your finding a solution to your problem.

OC Detective

Ellistar said:
Hi guys at the end of my tether here.

I have the following system.

Asus A7V333 Raid
Athlon XP 2100+ cooled by a copper flower
512Mb DDR 2700 (two Sticks)
Geforce pny 4 ti 4600
Audigy player (on board disabled in bios)
Scsi
network card
two hard disks one 30Gb ata 133 on ntfs other fat 32 60Gb
lian li case with a **** load of fans
enermax 550w psu
plextor cd rw
dvd
Jaz drive (i know i know)
running on XP pro

I get random crashes in games only. particularly unreal 2003, dungeon siege and occasionally neverwinter nights.

I have tried all of the latest drivers beta and otherwise but all to no avail updated bios and all the usual crap all to no avail.

I suspect the audigy but cannot prove it. I get crashed and turned off which sounds like the infinite loop but also get crash to desktop and even lock often with sound loop lock as well. these all happen at entirely random times from two seconds into a game all the way to several hours. Dungeon Siege however is awful all the time and became uplayable. All the latest game patches have not helped.

I do not understand I have a system the same a many on these forums that are I understand working well. What have I missed?

please help cos I am fresh out of ideas

Jem
Well just take out your audigy enable on board sound and see if that is the cause of your problem! Actually the onboard sound isnt too bad.

OP
E

Ellistar

Registered
I have tried the audigy in a number of slots and even removed all the other pci boards to see if that is the problem. nope. I am not insulted by any suggestions at all by the way just want to resolve. there seem to be no conflicts but of course irq's are habitually shared nowadays as so many bits of stuff in any pc. I have disabled the parallel and one serial port since the printer scanner etc are shared so should have enough resource. Interesting that it might be the psu since I bought a decent one so as to avoid exactly this issue having been burned with Geforce DDR first time round.

I have to now bite the bullet and take the the very nice but does not work Audigy and use the less good on board sound. Simply because I need to illiminate this as the cause.

ah well speak to you in a bit and thanks for the suggestions. Please do continue to teach me how to suck eggs I may have missed something and am not prowd

Jeremy

JoJoMoJo

hold on here I see you "suspected" it could be your sound card...and not the fact that while playing while being under load the crashes are not from other potentials. Have you just removed your sound card all together and tried to see if all is all stable for the duration a crash occurs?

OP
E

Ellistar

Registered
not yet about to cos fed up with it enough now but have to date been trying all the normal software and upgrade fixes. will try no sound and onboard but it has to be said I am p' oed that I cannot use my shiny Audigy with all it's good features cos it causes problems (assuming it is). Let's face it though Creative do not care because they are too busy selling Audigy2 that is no doubt just as bad. They have had one driver update for the Audigy series and that is terrible.

jeremy

JoJoMoJo

Your exact same board and sound card my best friend uses in the exact same setup clocked to 2.0 gigahertz. I run the Audigy Plat., just think ya should verify before getting P.O.ed as some friendly advice. I ran the Audigy Plat with the A7V333 and now my 400 board. Never a problem. I do agree with you though Creative could have a better support forum.....but I think....you found the right place for the support.

Last edited:

dgpilot2

Registered
Hey.
In Bios, did you by any chance set your memory to "Turbo" mode? I did that with my K7V333 and I started getting random restarts. It does sound like your RAM could be culprit as well.