• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V333 won't boot XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spire

Registered
I have an A7V333 w/Raid, two WD100gig drives in RAID 0. Windows XP home OEM full won't show any drives during setup. I have the array set up and it says functional. Windows 98 will Fdisk and format the array. Windows 98 will also install. This XP just has four occurences of no drives found. I also tried an older Win XP home.

Any suggestions?

OP
S

Spire

Registered
More Info update

I have sucessfully loaded Win 98. XP gets to the "To load windows press enter" screen I press enter, XP tells me "cannot find harddrives on this computer. "Press F3 to Quit."

Things I tried:

removed jumpers from drives.
tried to load "fastrack raid driver" at the F6 prompt from floppy
updated BIOS to v.1015
I have been through BIOS 10 times making sure its all good.

This is two of the 8Mb cache drives. Each on a seperate 10" round cable to the pri and sec Promise ports (one to each)

Also, DVD and CD-RW each on 10" round cable to regular pri and sec ATA ports.

Also, In Fasttrack, there is an asterick (*) that denotes array is "Bootable" My array doesn't show this asterick. Should It? If so, how do I make it bootable?

OP
S

Spire

Registered
Fixed it!!!

Copy the Promise drivers from the ASUS disk to a floppy, when Xp starts, press F6, then insert floppy and let XP load Promise driver.

Found the solution... anyone else have to deal with this problem? I thought ASUS was quality shiznit... I'm a lot disappointed in their manual. It should have mentioned that XP doesn't have drivers for this Promise controller. Even better, a floppy in the box with the motherboard? Is this too much to ask?

BTW: solution comes by way of Microslob Knowledge Base article #314859 just in case anyone cares.

OP
S

Spire

Registered
Response from ASUS

Just received this from ASUS:

Dear customer:
> Thanks for choosing ASUSTeK.
> About Windows XP installation issue, please follow the steps as below to install the OS:
> 1. Please extract the promise driver to create a floppy disk
> 2. Pressing F6 at the beginning of setup phase during setup process.
> 3. When system shows up one description need to load specific driver of RAID0, press "S" for "Specify Additional Device" and insert the
> floppy disk, and then press "Enter".
> 4. Select "WinXP Promise FastTrak100 (tm) Lite Controller" and press ¡°Enter¡±.
> 5. Continue Windows XP installation process.¡ô
> Sorry for your any inconvenience and if there still any problem, please feel free inform us.

24 hours to a reply, and on a Sunday too. (Is it Monday morning in Taiwan?)

Yea, I talk to myself at home, too. I thought this was a "discussion" forum.

weasel

Re: More Info update

Spire said:
Things I tried:

removed jumpers from drives.
tried to load "fastrack raid driver" at the F6 prompt from floppy
updated BIOS to v.1015
I have been through BIOS 10 times making sure its all good.

Sorry we weren't much help there, when I read the post I assumed you tried to load from floppy. You may have found somethin on this in the storage or operating sys forums.

BTW - Welcome to the forums :D

OP
S

Spire

Registered
Thanks for the welcome

I forgot I posted that!!!

I did try to load from floppy and it didn't take, needed to include the "txtsetup.oem" file... I should listen to myself more!!!

Is this something that happens alot? (other MB manufacturers making you guess or learn?)

weasel

My a7v266-e is that way, but I never used the raid, learned that from reading here on the forums. I think it's just something they left out of XP.