• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X and Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spire

Registered
I keep reading that the A7V8X with SATA and RAID will only allow two harddrives. If I understand this right, only 2 drives can be RAIDED (either mode 0 or 1 not 0+1) This limitation has nothing to do with IDE ports right? It will support 2 hard drives and 2 optical on regular ATA ports, right?

I can run 2 harddrives and two optical drives just like any other motherboard, but I can't RAID four harddrives. If the SATA (future) ports are used, do any of the ATA ports become unusable?

cypher

It will allow any combination between the two SATA connections and the third raid IDE connection in raid 0 that means two or three drives. But it will only support two drives connected to the SATA ports for raid 1. The 0+1 option is not available due to the controller used as is the case with most onboard raid chips. Also currently you must purchase a SATA to IDE converter to get raid to work on this board. They are a little expensive around $50.

OP
S

Spire

Registered
Cypher

Let me get this right Cypher.

I can't RAID mode 1 two drives on the IDE (old fashioned) connectors? I have to use 2 SATA to PATA adapters to RAID 1 two drives on the SATA channels only?

Richland Huh? Born and raised there myself. Went to Hanford for 12 years, class of '87.

JoJoMoJo

Freakin Asus should give us the adapters for false advertisement. That burnt me up when I couldnt get the board to identify my other 60GB drive in the Promise menu. I kept looking rt at the down rt deceitful box saying Raid on it. That was a low blow to there loyal customers. :mad:

OP
S

Spire

Registered
Not this time...

Thanks Cypher.

I think I'll go with the A7V333 and save the SATA gig for the next goaround. I don't need Gigalan and all that jazz anyhoo.