• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X High FSB Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gleep

I can't get my Asus A7V8X to boot any higher than 186Mhz, if I try even 187 it beeps at me and says it has a BIOS checksum error. Any ideas? Different ram settings and even underclocking the chip don't help.

My System
Asus A7V8X
Athlon 2400+ running at 2210Mhz (185x12)
512MB Corsair XMS 3200

Maximouse

Gleep said:
I can't get my Asus A7V8X to boot any higher than 186Mhz, if I try even 187 it beeps at me and says it has a BIOS checksum error. Any ideas? Different ram settings and even underclocking the chip don't help.

My System
Asus A7V8X
512MB Corsair XMS 3200

Welcome to the Forums:)

Try resetting your bios by removing the battery and shorting the jumper for about 5 secs. (see manual). Then boot to the bios screen and set it back up again.

Good Luck

Al

OP
G

Gleep

Re: Re: A7V8X High FSB Problem

Maximouse said:

Try resetting your bios by removing the battery and shorting the jumper for about 5 secs. (see manual). Then boot to the bios screen and set it back up again.

Ok I tried this and it didn't help. Here are some screen pics of the error and settings.

biossettings.jpg

bioserror.jpg

OP
G

Gleep

Maximouse said:
Go to the Asus website and download a copy of the bios file you are using, or a newer one if possible, and reflash it.

Ok, I flashed to a freshly downloaded 1008 and even dropped the fsb to 133 for flashing and it fixed nothing. I've tried 4 or 5 different bios versions (as old as 1004) in the past few days without luck.

Maximouse

Gleep said:

Ok, I flashed to a freshly downloaded 1008 and even dropped the fsb to 133 for flashing and it fixed nothing. I've tried 4 or 5 different bios versions (as old as 1004) in the past few days without luck.

Well, i am stuck:(

Maybe its a bad board?

Opie420

Registered
Gleep said:

My System
Asus A7V8X
512MB Corsair XMS 3200

I have the same prob, my max is 188fsb. At 188 it's rock solid and at 189 it reboots while booting XP. At anything more than that it won't post.

Tried removing all peripherals and disabled all onboard stuff. My memory was stable to 226mhz in a friend's system.

It's the motherboard.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
From my experience with both the A7V333 and A7V8X, using Corsair XMS memory, the only way I could run higher FSB speeds was to retard the memory timing parameters. To me, this is a self-defeating process. Higher RAM voltage did not help, other than making the RAM run hotter. So, I set my RAM timings for max and accept whatever FSB I can get up to. Also, the Turbo setting has been the source of many headaches for me. I use Optimum instead. At 13x166, the machine is so fast that I sincerely believe that you can not personally see much improvement setting the FSB faster, other than synthetic benchmark results. I try to avoid laying awake at night, tormented by the latest "Who has the biggest Johnson" type post.

John "Hoot" Hill

JoJoMoJo

OMG Hoot is an owner of Asus "ASUS A7V8X / Antec 840 Case
Athlon XP 2400 12x180 @ 1.75V" We are blessed to have ya here hoot.
:D

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Yeah, now that the wx has gotten cooler, my interests are back indoors. Actually, I'm building a box for my sister-in-law that will be the recipient of my A7V333 and trusty XP1600, so that will offset the out-of-pocket for the A7V8X and XP2400. I only got it put together two nights ago and haven't done a lot of OC experimenting yet. It sure looks like it has potential. Good to see that ASUS learned from the A7V333 experience. For some reason, the A7V8X does not want to run my Ti4200 in fast write mode though enabled in bios. But then, it could be that Sandra, which always seems to be one step behind the bleeding edge of technology, is not detecting fast write on this board. Time will tell.

I'm off to "Deer Camp" this afternoon. Gonna get that "Turty Point Buck" ya' know :)

Hoot

JoJoMoJo

yes i noticed the fast writes also and even in the 3dmark system info its showing as disabled too as well as the 8x AGP information. Only thing I can find so far showing my 8x AGP being enabled is the WCPUID chipset information regarding the AGP information.

GosuWar

Registered
I havet he same problem, except I don't think it's the motherboard. I have reason to believe it's the processor.

Athlon 2200/2400s run at 266 FSB, so going over 266 will generate more heat (even though your temperature will come up a lot lower due to the decrease of the mulitplyer). The athlon 2700/2800 are all 333 FSB, so I think they would work.

I have no PCI devices, and I highly doubt it's my usb 2.0, firewire, or gigabit lan that came w/ the mobo.

I also have 3200 Corsair ram, and for some reason the MAX FSB i've gotten to is around 180 or so, mabye alittle more. Your system will run stable, but u WILL get black screens every now and then... less that's just me.

190/200 wont go i believe because of the processor. The MOBO specs also says 333/200/166 FSB. It doesn't say anything about 400. 333/2 = 166.5.

That's most likely one of the fastest FSB speeds you'll get to before your motherboard/processor begins to act up.

I flashed to 1008, and I don't get any checksum errors at 190/200, I simply get a single beep at Post and it doesn't start up.

The KT400 Ultra is $150, I believe 200 FSB actually worked on that when they lowered the CAS to 2.0.

*WARNING* Don't **** w/ CAS unless you seriously know what you're doing, I've heard stories of people blowing their **** out left and right because of this *WARNING*.