• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X - wont install USB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markyp

Hi - wonder if anyone has had this problem. Have just installed an A7V8X which generally works fine but wont install the USB hardware devices so I have no USB support. When windows detects the USB controllers, it tries to install them but fails at the last hurdle with "Access denied"

I am running XP (am set up as administrator).

Shame as otherwise almost smooth installation!

Thanks in advance, Mark

(A7V8X, 2200+, DDR400).

Shaotai

Are you actually using the Admin account or an account in the admins group?

Give the actual admin account a try and see if that helps any. I'ver never heard of an access denied for a usb install before!

OP
M

markyp

Is very strange - in the System details I have four Universal Serial Bus Controller entries - 3 ok but without drivers, one errored but I cant install a driver. No USB roots or anything else.

What entires do you have for USB devices? And how many?

Thanks, Mark

Norrko

OK!

The marked USB-device is the USB-Root Hub. If you run the setup for USB2 that's on the cd that came along with the board you get rid of all problem. XP detects the USB-ports on installation, but you have to install the driver to get USB2 support and get rid of the !-mark on the USB-Root Hub! And when you've done that you won't get into any problems with it.

/Norrko

OP
M

markyp

Thank you all - I look forward to another evening of trying it out tonight! I think I am going to run into the "Access is denied" problem when intsalling though. I have admin rights and have also tried this as Admin user in Safe Mode. I wonder if I have some messed up file permissions - although I set all files in \windows to writable.

Norrko - thanks for the suggestion, it is the lack of any title of "Root Hub" that has worried me!

Hmmm - thank goodness for second computers - no USB = no broadband!

Norrko

I'm here to help other... ;)

Myself got an USB-keyboard and XP detects it but there's many boings (Found new hardware) before I installed the driver..

And be sure to install the reg-patch on the CD to get full support for the L2-cache too. I'm not sure if it's on the Autorun-menu but it's on the CD... ;)

Good luck!

/Norrko

OP
M

markyp

Fixed!

Thank you all - the problem turned out to be connected to the "access is denied" message upon driver install. It was a registry problem - for some reason all the keys pertaining to USB were set to special permissions where adminstrators only had read rights! I changed this and the install completed beautifully. Still dont know how the reg permissions screwed up.

Anyway - am very happy now - off to do some tweaks. :)