• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V Deluxe probs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acoefaces

Ok, I have these parts
Asus A8V deluxe. Serial is 46xxxx
Athlon 64 fx 53 (retail)
2x512 of Corsair XL pro 3200
Ati 9700 Pro (retail ati) (Waiting on x800xt =>)
2x36gb raptors using onboard sata raid in a stripe.
Antec 430 ps.
Original Prometeia (with heated backplate) (not in this setup yet till i get the damn thing solid at stock speeds)
Xp Pro (legit Copy)
Dx9b

SuperPi 1m=35
Ok heres the problem.
Since I have built the system, it randomly hard locks in windows (as in screen still being displayed with whatever was on the screen.). I first noticed this in Prime 95 after about 2 hours. This is with all auto timings on memory etc.
Next, I went through and manually set all the timings, same result.
Next, I replaced the heatsink with a zalman and put some as5 on it, same result.
Next, Tested memmory with Memtest86, no issues.
Next, I flashed bios to 1006 from asus.com, same result.
Next, I flashed bios to the beta one that was in a couple threads down.
Im running prime 95atm and wont know for another couple of hours if it works now or not.
Anyone got any ideas.
Im using latest ATI and Via drivers.
Onboard audio is enabled and using drivers off of cd for it.

The system has yet to lock in a game, but has locked several times while browsing websites. Its sorta disturbing considering I spent quite a chunk o change on this upgrade.

Also, by auto, the bios sets the memory at 2t instead of 1t. At 2t sandra scores much lower. Is that normal? (the auto to 2t)

I have read several boards with people complaining of the A8v with Ati cards. In my atempt that is going now I have disabled agp write through smartgart program.
My 9700 has always ran sorta hot for my tastes and has a pci slot cooler under it.
I have also replaced the back 120mm fan with a higher flowing double thick antec.
I have tweaked the voltages up on memory and proc.
The memory voltage being upted seems to have made it happen less frequently. But being it takes at least 2 hours for the lockup to happen, I havent had a chance to test everything I would like. I would like to try it with agp set to 4 in bios, but would like your opinions first.

ALso, what is normal temp for an fx53? Mine runs around 55c under load. Thats with the big zalman heatsink (cant remember name).

Finally,
Does Prime95 put any load on the videocard that would cause it to heat up?

Ty in advance for help.

edit: Running asus probe software. my voltages look good and are solid, except vcore is going from 1.485-1.502.

Last edited:
Are you overclocked at all? Also just a long shot but have you put a multimeter on the rails of that PSU to make sure it is keeping up?

No overclocking whatsoever. I decided to test out the system on air before I put it in my prometeia. I work on computers for a living (just an fyi). The voltages all look good using a multimeter.
Do to the frequency this happens at (2 times today), this is becoming a major PITA to figure out. Im working tommorow so will probably take it in and start replacing parts till it works. Dont have any spare 939boards and definately dont have any spare fx53s laying around though.

Has anyone heard of issues with the latest hyperion (via) drivers and ATI videocards? I also have a couple of messages in my event log. One is related to msn messenger. I disabled that bugger. but here they are.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193
Date: 7/23/2004
Time: 6:10:39 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GODMACHINE
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0008: 32 31 31 33 00 00 00 00 2113....
0010: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0018: 32 30 37 38 00 00 00 00 2078....

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1524
Time: 6:15:30 PM
User: GODMACHINE\
Description:
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1517
Time: 6:15:30 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows saved user GODMACHINE\Curtis registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (52)
Event ID: 4354
Time: 4:37:17 PM
Description:
The COM+ Event System failed to fire the ConnectionMadeNoQOCInfo method on subscription {0E710BF7-1AE4-4764-AA52-98AA2A94B5E2}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The subscriber returned HRESULT 80010105.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Time: 6:10:39 PM
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

I have a very similar set up to you asus a8v deluxe fx 53 2xpc4000mem x800pro etc etc. My problem is a bit more strange i had a problem with my printer hp psc 2175 it just sent the paper through without printing anything so i took away sp2 and with sp2 went also deamon tools the printer then worked ok so I installed deamon tools again (a new version) and now i cant install sp2 but the printer is working, i had a blue screen of death during the installation of deamon tools but it worked fine afterwards I think this has something to do with atapi drivers in the bios I think these problems started when I changed bios to ver 1006 from 1003 I am going to search these forums for a better bios i will report back with the results,

Update,
I have narowed down the problem. I just got through running prime for 13 hours with no problems.

The things I changed.
Disabled the "WIFI" card from asus.
disabled messenger because I was getting warnings related to it in event log.
Unhooked excess ide harddrives.
Manually set voltage on Cpu to 1.57(or something close), turned up the agp voltage and the memor voltage(had already tried the cpu and memory at a previous time).
In other words. I believe the AGP voltage was causing it. And, It was pointed out in another forum that in the AGP section of the motherboard manual it states "If installing the ATI 9500 or 9700 Pro Series VGA cards, use only the card version PN xxx-xxxxx-30 or later, for optimum performance and overclocking stability." thats on page 2-17
Well, my 9700s PN scheme is nothing like that its just a bunch of numbers then 1 dash and a bunch more.

Anyways, Im going to take my computer w/me to work today and try to figure out what I did that fixed it. Or if its even fixed. I might of just got lucky =>

Edit: I was looking at the PN on the sticker and didnt realize it was on the pcb until I looked at it closer. my PN is 109-94200-11. I wish ASUS was a little more forthcoming on the actuall problems <30 have. I cant get ahold of an X800XT till prob mid next month from the looks of it.

Last edited:
Good and bad news. Systems been running for a while with agp voltage back down.
I noticed the power supply is running much cooler without the 2 extra IDE harddrives.
Ive almost come to the conclusion that with the 2 extra ide drives I was pulling to much power.
I am using a 480 trueblue and wouldnt think I would have a problem. Heck Im running 5 harddrives, 2 neons, p42@3g with a 9700 on my other system with no issues on close to the same ps.

Sorry If I wasted anyones time, Ill give an update in several days if it is actually fixed.

Yeah I would say it is the PSU. Antec are OK but they do have some problem units here and there. If it is your PSU get a Fortron 530 or a Sparkle. If you can afford it get the PC Power and Cooling 510. Well you know all this anyways if you work on PC's. Anyways good luck hope it stays working for you. I just ordered the same setup last Friday with the VapoChill LS.

HI , myproblems were sp2 related its quite simple rearly take away sp2 and the problems go as well , the problems were that my printer would not print and I had somr trouble with network which was installed after sp2 would not work bit its all fixed now no sp2.

Back