• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aargh! Stupid Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
And I thought Windows had issues. I have the Mandrake 8.2 ISOs downloaded and burned and I want to upgrade from 8.1, but I don't want to kill my 3d:18h:52m uptime.
With Windows I'd never have have to wait more than a day or two. <sigh> Talk about problems.
[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

PolyPill

Well that's just Mandrake and the method you're using to upgrade. Debian and other distributions can upgrade without a reboot. Everything in linux can be upgraded without rebooting except the kernel.

OP
Christoph

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Sorry. I should have made my intent clearer. It should be more obvious now.
BTW, thanks PolyPill. I didn't know that you could upgrade some distros without rebooting. sounds like it's worth looking into for Mandrake.

David

Forums Super Moderator
IdeaMagnate said:
Sorry. I should have made my intent clearer. It should be more obvious now.
BTW, thanks PolyPill. I didn't know that you could upgrade some distros without rebooting. sounds like it's worth looking into for Mandrake.

It all depends what NEEDs to be updated. A 2.2.x kernel should still see you through most things, a 2.4.x kernel is fine, unless you really need a new feature.

What exactly does 8.2 have that 8.1 doesnt and that you need?

OP
Christoph

Christoph

JAPH Senior
David said:

It all depends what NEEDs to be updated. A 2.2.x kernel should still see you through most things, a 2.4.x kernel is fine, unless you really need a new feature.

What exactly does 8.2 have that 8.1 doesnt and that you need?

I'm hoping that xmms will be more stable. I can usually get about 24-36 hours without a crash, but seldom longer.
I just lost all my data to a couple of bad sectors, and I found out that my Mandrake 8.2 install CD won't work, so I'm back to 8.1 for now.

Samurai_Punch

you should be able to update allmost or all of your packages that you already have installed, by running the "software manager" or a package manager... so you basically get the same as if you had done a fresh install... just use the CD's you burned as the update source.

mcrites

I don't worry about the uptime on my desktop machines, but I do on my servers. I am up to 24 days on my gateway. My other machine is dead atm. Hope its nothing bad, I am here at work, so I won't know for 3 hours. :(

triflux

Disabled
ouch 24 days straight that hurts ehh hehhe. well as we all know that would be damn near impossible on windows

XWRed1

At my work we had an NT4 box that was routinely pounded, and had an uptime of around 180 days when we had to rebooot it for an MS SQL update.

So high uptime isn't impossible on Windows.

funnyperson1

those type of uptimes shouldnt be too hard to get with Win2000 or XP but damn near impossible with Win98....