• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit 4200 128megs vs MSI 4200 64megs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rizge

I am leaning towards the msi because of the price and because of the awesome bundle (3 Full games,....)
MSI --> 800LE (~174$)
Abit --> 1150LE (~250$)
But because some people argue that 64 mem is gonna make problems in future games and so on i decided to ask you gurus first
PS:
I am also liking the idea because i only have PC133 Ram not DDR or RDRam so i was thinking that all the textures will be in the fast 128 mem onbaord not on the (comparably) slower PC133
IS that right
YOUR DECISION GUYS
PLEASE Tell me your oppinion

Pinky

MSI for a heck of a lot yes, you will never see that $75 difference in real life performance gains (yes, there would be some gains, but not $75 worth ;) ).

rdytorave

Depends

Here are the factors to consider:
1. Amount of time gfx card will be used (months,years)
2. Resolution games are played at

It depends on how long you want your video card to last you. If a year or less I'd go 64mb because it's cheaper. If you want it to last you several years then I'd go 128mb.

If you run at 1024x768 resolution or less than there is currently no game you can buy that uses 128mb of video memory. 64mb is generally plenty.

Hope this helps.

TheFrag

it depends. How much ram you got? You might need to get the 128mb so games dont use up all ur system's resources, and have to venture into your PC133**shudders**.

OP
R

rizge

I got 512megs of PC133 Ram
PLanning to get P4 with DDR Ram but not before a year
PLaying games currently at 800*600 coz my monitor supports 1024*768 only at 60 hz which sux but generally i won't be playing any higher than 1024 but i would like to be playing /w Max anistrophy & 4X FSAA at acceptable FPS

Maxvla

at 800x600 you could get a 8500le and be fine for just about any game and save even more money.

then when you get your p4 you can try the 8500 on that system and see if it performs well enough for ya. no sense in spending twice as much if you don't need to.

fyi... 8500's are about 90 bucks. :)

OP
R

rizge

u might be right but i want the 4200 SOON :)
cant really wait
btw
if i get the 8500 which one do u recommend:
Hercules Radeon 8500LE 128 megs
or
Powercolor Radeon 8500 64 megs
I prefer the hercules inspite of the LE(lower clocks) because it seems to be much more repute and famous than Powercolor
Any comment?

BOTH HAVE THE VERY SAME PRICE

Last edited:

Pinky

You could probably overclock the hercules close to the retail's speeds (maybe even beyond if you're lucky). I'd also say the hercules is the better of the two assuming price is about the same...

Pinky

rizge said:
Or can i go with the Powercolor 8500 and oc it more ?

I haven't read or heard many positive things said about the powercolor cards, I've always assumed them to be "lower-grade" video cards.

Pinky

I had a Radeon 7200vivo before my current GF4 card, and I can say that I had very few problems with ati drivers (played most of my games 6 months ago fine), but some minor glitches that have been solved since...

OP
R

rizge

bump on:
if i get the 8500 which one do u recommend:
Hercules Radeon 8500LE 128 megs
or
Powercolor Radeon 8500 64 megs
I prefer the hercules inspite of the LE(lower clocks) because it seems to be much more repute and famous than Powercolor
Any comment?

Maxvla

if you go 8500 definately go for the 128mb. with the slightly lower speeds than the gf4 line you'll need all 128 megs of it.

btw. what prices are you seeing on these cards?

OP
R

rizge

both are 650LE ~141$
OK
u guys convinced me to get the hercules non-fdx 8500le :)
i just want to ask a last time
if i get a 64 megs 4200 over that one from hercules(128megs) is it so bad
concerning that msi has a very nice bundle

Maxvla

rizge said:
both are 650LE ~141$
OK
u guys convinced me to get the hercules non-fdx 8500le :)
i just want to ask a last time
if i get a 64 megs 4200 over that one from hercules(128megs) is it so bad
concerning that msi has a very nice bundle
think of it this way... the 8500 is an interum card that will see you through to the next big card whether that be nv30 or the next ATI creation.

right now the 8500 64mb card can be had on newegg.com for about 85 bucks. i would seriously consider that instead of paying twice for a ti4200.

when i was shopping for a gf4 i considered the 8500 until i saw some benchmarks for UT2k3... while still very playable the frame rates suggested the card would not have as long of a life span as i needed. i needed something that would work flawlessly for the next years worth of games. The 8500 in my opinion won't be able to cut it quite that long.

by the time the 8500 shows its age for you the nv30 will be out and you can have all that money you saved now to splurge for the latest greatest if you decide to.