• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AW8-Max memory compatibility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach3r0n

What brands/type of memory has everyone tried on these boards (and what bios revision do you have)? I'm partial to Mushkin but I've been told it doesn't work with this board. :( Anyway, what does work?

Rocinante

I run Corsair XMS2 PC6400 (DDR2-800) works like a champ...the initial auto setting sets the timings pretty high for compatability, but I just set them back to spec manually...

OP
A

Ach3r0n

hi again Rocinante. :)

What bios rev. are you running with the Corsair?

batboy

Senior Moment
As far as I know, the new BIOS 15 has some bug about running DDR2-800 RAM at the 1:2 ratio. My understanding is that Abit is currently working on fixing that bug with a new BIOS update. As long as you don't have a Presler or Cedar Mill CPU, you can use the BIOS 14 to avoid the problem.

Rocinante

DsN said:
hi again Rocinante. :)

What bios rev. are you running with the Corsair?

I'm running BIOS 14...I usually don't update once I've install my OS unless I'm having a problem...next BIOS update for me will be in about 2-3 months when it's time to format...

I'm not using the 1:2 divider either...I think I use the 3:4...too lazy to calculate it... :shrug:

OP
A

Ach3r0n

batboy said:
As far as I know, the new BIOS 15 has some bug about running DDR2-800 RAM at the 1:2 ratio. My understanding is that Abit is currently working on fixing that bug with a new BIOS update. As long as you don't have a Presler or Cedar Mill CPU, you can use the BIOS 14 to avoid the problem.

Unfortunately, I will be running a Presler. :(