• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit BE6II v2.0 blowin caps off board!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsycoPhreak

OK, I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this, so if not, I apologize. Mods, please move it to where it belongs if need be...

I have an Abit BE6II v2.0...It's about 1 1/2 years old, I noticed months ago the capacitors surrounding the cpu slot were starting to buldge. I knew eventually they would need to be replaced as I have heard that this exact thing has happened to many other people, but, I left it alone. Two days ago, one of them decided to finally go, and go it did!!!

OK, so I thought that the board was beyond saving at this point but still my curiousity got the best of me. I wanted to see if the board still worked so I found the nearest match to the capacitor that had litterally popped off the board and did a temporary solder job just to see if it would power up.

Behold! It did power up and ran fine...WHEW...it still works, what a trooper.

Now, my question to you, the person/people reading this is:

I need to replace all the failing capacitors, that have the values as follows:

TYPE: Radial Electrolytic capacitor - VALUES: 1500uF 6.3 volts ( I need 11 of these )

TYPE: Radial Electrolytic capacitor - VALUES: 1000uF 10 volts ( I need 2 of these )

The problem is, I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE 1500uF ONES ANYWHERE!

Anyone have any suggestions where I could find these?
What about replacing them with higher tolerance components, if so, what would be a better value to use in place of the original 1500uF 6.3v ones? ( I have forgotten much about electronics, and I have no time for doing homework...:p )

Any/all help is appreciated, as this board was rock solid and recently retired to being a backup gaming system on my home network..( used only when friends came over to DIE playing TAC OPS and other stress relieving games...:D )

nodsetse

Well a did a search on Google and had some small amount of luck. Here's a link that might help you, as this guy did the same thing with his VP6 mobo. He even lists the part number and source he ordered from. I'm not sure what the implications are, but he used 2200uF 6.3v parts, and stated they're working fine for him. Good luck, and let us know how it works out! :)

Logger

normally when caps do this its because they were spec'ed
improperly. the mf is a measure that won't cause them to blow. the voltage is more likely to be a problem if its to low the dialectric will break down and they start to short.
My guess is the caps were a bad batch. I would stay with the same or slightly higher MFD and the same or slightly higher voltage. Unless of course they were sized wrong, then you have to up the voltage.

Logger good luck and make sure + and - don't change.

OP
P

PsycoPhreak

Thanks for the replies.

After doing a little bit of research, I figured that it would be Ok to go with 2200uF caps in place of the originals. It seems as though ABit used these bad 1500uF caps in many of their motherboards, and that they will repair them.

Unfortunately, I don't trust ABit anymore, ( I'll never buy another ABit board, due to this, and other problems I have had with ABit ) and I doubt I'd get the board back that I send to them. ( I have my own custom bios + some added home made heatsinks on the regulators/clock generator, and I don't feel like ripping them off ) So it looks as though I'll be sticking the new caps on the board within the next week or so. I wish I could do it sooner, but with halloween coming up in a few days, I gotta finish carving the pumpkins and getting everything ready...and then there is the "cleanup" afterwards...( If I don't carve the pumpkins, my daughter will kill me...LOL ) I'll let you know how it works..(if it does at all afterwards )

Again, thanks for the help + speedy replies...:D

nodsetse

PsycoPhreak said:
Unfortunately, I don't trust ABit anymore, ( I'll never buy another ABit board, due to this, and other problems I have had with ABit
Honestly, I know how you feel....
I have 2 BE6-II mobos, one died about a year ago.
I bought a BD7 that was worthless for two months until the 7_7 BIOS was released.
My BX133-RAID board has quit and I've got to diagnose it now.
Will I buy Abit again? Maybe, but not if I can be fairly confident there's something better available at the time I'm buying. :rolleyes:

Roadwarrior1956

Registered
I have two of these boards, and have replaced the caps on both of them with higher value and voltage version.
Works great and been going great for over a year

I beleive we used 2200uF 10v not sure at work right, if different I will let you know.

The caps I used where much taller then the old ones and can be a problem when using large heatsinks.

Good luck, need any help just email me

Later