• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT IC7/IC7-G/IC7-Max3/IS7-X Failsafe BIOS settings. Read First!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
spclwpns said:
It's really suggested settings from the video card companies to have these disabled.
Both ATI and nv have suggested this for a couple years now I believe.... I forget but it was something about caching being old and outdated and system/vcard memory now handling the job and is much faster ;)
I also wonder if that's true, why are these functions still in place, oh well..........

I've checked this up now... (BIOS 1.9)
It seems like both of them are disabled after the CMOS been cleared, but after loading failsafe or optimized defaults, they're enabled.
The next weekend I'll try to do some testing to see if they have any performance impact.

I will also check the default state of them with the 2.1 BIOS.

bump..you are very welcome,even though I am a noob and I am choosing to use amd cpus, I found this thread and it helped me alot in understanding how a bios works:) have fun Kosmic

Last edited:
Thanks for bumping that, Grampa. I'm getting an IC7 & 3.0c tomorrow, and this post was very helpful. This will actually be my first every intel system. :) I always look for the best bang for the buck, and Intel had it this time around.

Hey all

There's a few things you really should change in your BIOS settings. First, disable "system" and "video" bios cacheable. This is fact, and has been for a few years now. This helps older systems free up RAM by caching this information to the BIOS.

If you have 1 Gig of RAM or above, up the AGP Aperture to 256. You will see a performance increase.

Change "delay prior to thermal" to 4 minutes. This enables the CPU's built in "cool down" function over the specified time. It doesn't take any of us 16 minutes to boot, does it?

Hope this helps, these are all confirmed. Look them up if you disagree - specifically. 99% of all the "Bios Guides" out there are wrong.

Take care
Pat

Thankyou!

cpu.jpg

Yeah, there isn't much of a performance hit/gain with the cacheables, but it can effect stability at times. I used to get invalid page fault, and agp440.sys BSODs with this enabled on my old Abit BP6 w/Voodoo 3s, 5s, and GF2s. After some research and trial/error, disabling these eliminated them.

Soon after, the board caught fire - but that, of course, had nothing to do with these settings.

The only thing you have to worry about with that system is accidently tripping up a space/time continuum. 4.1 Gigs! Insane! EXQUISITE work.

RubiX³ said:
Hey all
If you have 1 Gig of RAM or above, up the AGP Aperture to 256. You will see a performance increase.
Pat
Well, I have 512mb of ram, but I have a 256mb video card, should I use 256 or 128?

crotale said:
I've seen alot of posts in the last couple of months with troubles regarding instability and overclocking.

I thought I could post the basic BIOS setup to get a good
overclocking start. The images shown here are version 1.9 for IC7. The layout of the BIOS is similar, if not the same, on all the IC7 and IS7 series of motherboards.

This is the Soft Menu Setup with the settings I recomend for a start:
sms2.jpg

People with 2.8C CPUs or higher might not be able to post with this FSB, start at 200 and find a sweet spot with ClockGen for example.

This is the Advanced Chipset Feature page:
acf2.jpg

The last two settings are very important!
Remember! PC4000 memory will likely not work with these settings, for them I recommend 3-8-4-4 timings.
After you've find a sweet spot for your CPU, try lowering the first four settings (called timings). Lower are faster.

As always, use your favorite stressing program to make sure your system is stable. I recommend Prime for stressing,
ClockGen for overclocking and CPU-Z to keep an eye on clocks. :cool:

is this meant to be funny? :p i see nothing about bios settings in the 1st psot :(

ASUS AS8... my friend's got it. Bad OCer or what? I gave him Buffalo pc4300 2x512 RAM with Hynix btd43 chips. I wanted to see if he could push some Mhz into the ram. Is it a waste of time to try? If not, give me pointers b/c he's got an LGA775 3.4 with a 17x multi. I guess he needs to raise the VCore while he tries to up the FSB for the RAM. =(

I like this thread but I cannot see the pics in the first post, anyone else have this problem, or is this just at my end?

You are right, the images have broken links now. He probably lost his web hosting space or something. Crotale, if you need me to host the pics for you, just let me know.

The pics will be online during this week hopefully.

I'm also planning on doing a similar guide for the AS8 mobo, and the AA8XE Fatal1ty.
(But I have neither of these boards as of speaking, but soon, hopefully :p )

Back