• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KD7 Raid, a Very SLOOOOOW motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

I been benchmarking this new motherboard for the last few hours and my results have been very very poor.

running at default of 1.53 ghz, with 256 DDR 433 at 166 Cas 2-2-2-6-1t, I used to get 11700 with my radeon 9700.
that was on my soyo KT-400 dragon ultra.

now with the same settings on this new KD7 Raid, I am getting 10,300 with the same exact settings.

even overclocked at 166, I only get 10,900.
:confused:

what in the world is going on here?
if this board continues like this, I may just have to get rid of it.
I have ben to bios about 30 times this morning and ran 3dmark 2001 the same amount of times, writing each time what I changed in bios.
everything helps alittle, but I am still no where near what I averaged with the Soyo at Default.

this is very annoying:(

anyone else have this problem?
what could be the problem?

OP
Kunaak

Kunaak

I have done everything imaginable, switched on and off nearly every thing inside bios, kept a very clear record of what improved and what makes the scores worse, that list is now 3 pages long front and back...
I have updated the drivers, used old drivers, tested one beta driver.

I have switched ram twice and tried both of them maxed out at cas 2-2-2.

but nothing, absolutly nothing is getting me above 10900.
thats a really pathetic score considering my friend uses a MSI KT3 ultra ddr 2100 cas 2.5-3-3 and a MSI 4400 and gets 9,900.

something on this board is slowing me down by over 1000 points from what I used to use...
and I can't even come close to my old standard score of 11,700.

yes, I can overclock and get that score again.
but I was running at 1.53 with a 266 fsb and getting that score previously so I shouldn't need to overclock just to match my old scores.

being abit off from the old score wouldn't bother me much, but this is almost a 10% loss from my old standard and I simply don't think theres anything more I can do inside Bios to tweak it anymore.

might just have to sell this and give the AT7-Max2 a try...

my only other option is a Bios flash and hope something was updated so it's comparable....

maap

Registered
might just have to sell this and give the AT7-Max2 a try
Don't know if that'll do you any good. The KD7 is the AT7-Max's little brother. Basically the same mobo without all the bells and whistles. I don't understand why you switched from the Soyo to the Abit in the first place. I believe Abit is a better mobo, especially for O/Cing but they're the same chipset(KT400). If I become unsatisfied with my KT400, I'll probably jump to the nForce2 but...

I am happy with it. The KD7 completely unlocks my XP2400+, no mods required. You can see what I'm running from my sig and I get in 14600 range in 3dmk2001 with my KD7/GF4 combo, [email protected]/[email protected] cas2 2-2-6-1t/GF4 @ 310-715.

After re-reading your last post
my only other option is a Bios flash and hope something was updated so it's comparable....
Are you running with the original bios(dated 8/12/2002)? From what I've heard the initial bios was flawed. There are only two bios's out for the KD7. I immediately flashed to the 9/9/2002(kd7b8.exe). I would definitely flash if you haven't...

One other thing and I hate to even mention it because I believe it should be used as a last resort but what about a reformat?
When I initially upgraded from my Epox(KT333), I just popped in the mobo and let XP add the necessary files. Things seemed to run OK but something just wasn't completely right. Others from various FORMS convinced me to reformat. I did and it made a world of difference. XP found stuff that it didn't with just the upgrade, like the extended interrupt table. But that was a KT333 to KT400 change. Don't know if that would do as much good on a KT400 to KT400 swap.

SlowBurn

Make sure you have the most recent 4in1 drivers. I had the same problem you did, but once I updated my 4in1s I went up over 3000 points!

OP
Kunaak

Kunaak

I have done a bios flash, and ttweaked every setting inside Bios for almost a week now, just I am still only averaging 10,800.
something is massively slowing me down.
it's almost patheitic cause I know kids with ti 4200s nearly getting more then me now, and I have a 9700.

why I switched from Soyo Kt 400?
it just wasn't enough for me.
the Vcore wasn't enough, the Vdimm wasn't enough.
thats about it.
it wouldn't be much fun putting that particular board in my prometeia (when it actually gets here) and not having much power to play with.
the KD7 is a great board, it has the power to do alot.
this is obvious to me, after seeing all the guys like MrIcee and Oppainter, using it too and getting Xp2400 to 2.8ghz and higher.
then just seeing what other guys here get.
this board has the power.
I even got to 195x8.5 which I know wouldn't have been possible with my Soyo.
it just wouldnt pass 178, didn't matter about the voltage or multiplier, it just wouldn't.
now I am trying to break 195.
thats pretty damn good in my opinion.

it's just this issue with my 1500 point loss in 3dmark2001 is really really annoying, and I can't even figure out what it might be.
I am starting to try and just ignore it and just think this is just a slow board overall. but it's just frustration.
I bought this board for alittle something more.
in one way, I got it, I can overclock better.
in another way, I got kicked in the head, cause now my 3d score is very very low and nothing seems to change it.
I can't even come close to 11,700 any more....
and this is with the same exact gear I used in my soyo.

Ferrettt

Registered
Hi
Just my two cents worth if your gen and this is not a wind up and you have all the latest 4 in 1 drivers and bios installed go back to the Soyo KT-400 dragon ultra you were so happy with and RMA the abit.
Ferret