• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit kd7-raid - attached front usb/spkr and now no POST :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erik sinsel

Registered
I bought a used kd7-raid, but it booted up just fine when I installedit, and ran for days with no problems.

System as of now: kd7-raid, athlon xp 1700, 256mb pc2100 generic ddr, 300W psu, diamond stealth 64 pci card (while I wait on new one in shipping now).

I bought a case with frontal usb and audio. I flipped the breaker, and moved the video card to PCI2 to access the onboard audio jumpers which are blocked by PCI1 cards. I attached (correctly according to manual and cable markings) the two front USB connectors, only I connected one to each set of pins - USB2 and USB3. THe included rear bay usb extension bracket connects both to one set. I connected in exactly the same configuration. I also connected the mic+ground to the first two audio pins. I should have booted to check usb first I know, wasn't thinking.

I booted, no beeps, no POST. I removed all changes, same effect. I moved card back to PCI1, no change. I removed all but boot drive, no change. I removed boot drive and all connectors other than power switch, no change. I reseated ram and video card, no change.

Then went through the whole CMOS clearing dance. Tried clearing for a few minutes, no battery no power to mb, no change. Tried a couple of hours clearing, no change.

I have no other ATX board right now to test the psu on, or another atx psu to test the board on. I guess I will have to order another exactly same mb to retain my raid data? I think regardless I will stop using raid for performance and get one of those 8mb buffer ata 133 hds. I can lose the data on it I guess, but it will suck.

Am I basically out $80?

Does anyone know if I buy another kd7-raid with the same highpoint controller/version if I should be able to swap in my raid drives (I marked the IDE port used on the cables) and basically be transparent to the drives themselves, just like reconnecting back onto my existing board after booting with them off for a while, which works fine?

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Have you tried removing the motherboard from the case and running it? Could be that something is grounding it to the case. You could also check the board connection from the power supply by removing and reconnecting it again as therr may be a bad contact.

Hi, thanks for posting.

I should add that the fans and such are fine when I power up. It just doesn't actually get to testing eq. No keyboard flashes, no optical mouse lights. The keyboard does flash briefly as I flip the breaker on the back of the psu.

I tried reconnecting the atx connectors repeatedly. I will try removing the mb and testing it on a table top, but not much hope for that. I connected it only using the plastic connectors, no metal ones.

I'm not sure if I could do anything with warranty. I bought it used over ebay, not refurb or new from a retailer. I don't even have a receipt to show original date of purchase. If I had that from the ebay seller, would it matter? I didn't think there was really anything to warranty a product in that situation. Is there something?

It's only a 300W power supply, but that is the recommended min, and I'm only booting up with cpu, ram, keyboard, and a VERY low intensity video card, and the cpu fan of course. The lights on the mb work fine, one for power connected, one for power switch on.

I think I'm basically screwed. Checking ati user forum as well. People seem to have lots of bootup problems with this board.

Erik

Hi again and a hopeful addition. I took the case/mb to a relative's with an at power supply but an atx/at PII board (FIC ka-6100). When I connected the atx from my power supply to the atx slot of the board, and flipped the circuit breaker on the psu, the front case power light just blinked on and off repeatedly. Hitting power did nothing. So I quickly disconnected the psu and reconnected the at power supply on that case, and it started up just fine. I'm assuming those combo boards with atx and at connectors can run just fine with a 300W atx power supply (that is working). So is this a probability now that my psu somehow got shot and I should RMA it? I'm hoping that's the case, but I've never had a shot psu, I don't know what kinds of behaviors you get from it. Would I get a mb that powers up and fans run and the amber/green lights work and nothing else happens? Could be insufficient voltage to the cpu perhaps?

I'm going to check out now to try to find a manual for the board to see what that error blinking code means.

Well my 431W had a soft failure with this board. All the fans spin up & the green & amber lights turn on but no beep & no display is all I get. The PSU can still kinda work on my older MoBo but is unstable.

My PSU is 400W and I also had the same problem when I installed bigger ram (512MB). When I power up the fans spin for little and all stops. In other case they remain spinning but no post with cleared bios.

Try this: When you press power and nothing happens press power again and hold the power button for 4 seconds. Then wait 30-40 seconds and press power shortly again. If nothing happens try again holding the power for 4 seconds....
I did this and after about 10 tries my mobo booted with the new ram.
What I think happens is that the PSU cannot provide enough power at boot time. When you wait a while all the capacitors load up and then it succeeds.
Once it boots it will boot with no problems after that as long as you don't unplug the PSU. If you do you will have to repeat the whole process again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a shot. I ordered a 400W power supply that I found pretty cheaply at newegg.com, so I'm going to try that out, and if I get a different problem, then RMA back the old psu, and if not, then I guess RMA the KD7 board. I probably could try a friend of the family who has some experience installing electrical home breaker boxes and such, I'm sure he has a tester and could test the leads on the atx power connector, but I doubt if it was a small problem, and not a major short, if a person could tell using the kinds of testers used on home wiring.

Anyways, I'll post back next week when I get my new psu:)

Thanks guys.

You really want a high quality PSU to go with this board, with how high the volage adjustments are it really does strain the PSU big time.

About your question as to whether or not your raid stripe would be okay going from one motherboard to another. I had to rma my at7-max2 after getting my whole os reinstalled etc.. I didn't want to lose my raid stripe, really bad :p

It did work just fine, simply plugged em back in (good call marking the cables, I did so too) and it detected them!

I've even had a friend that went from a mobo with a hpt 370 to a mobo with a hpt 372 and that worked fine too!

Personally I'd make sure the bios's are the same before even trying though, wouldn't want to take any chances.

Good luck man.

Back