• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KT7A Motherboard O/C Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keith O. McKeever Jr.

Registered
Hello Everyone!
I am new to this so please bear with me. I am in the process of building a new system and initially wanted to go with a Thunderbird 1.2 GHz chip to start with but unfortunately, I have had to settle on a much lesser chip, 850 MHz Duron, due to the fact of a minor explosion on the part of my refridgerator (don't ask).
Here is my current set up:

Abit KT7A Motherboard
AMD 850 MHz Duron Processor w/ DUO-462-8 Mini Super Orb Fan
512 MB of PC-133 RAM (2*256)
Mitsumi 1.44 MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
Samsung 52X CD-ROM Drive
Hewlett-Packard 10/4/32X CD-RW Drive
Maxtor 45.0 GB 7200 RPM U/100 Hard Drive
Jaton GeForce MX 32 MB AGP Video Card
Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card
Creative Labs Modemblaster 56K PCI Modem
3 Case Fans running throughout the system

My question is, because I have never overclocked a 'jumperless' motherboard...how fast can I expect to overclock this AMD bugger? What are 'stable' setting I can set up in BIOS to allow it to work comfortably? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

wild_andy_c

NAKED Overclockers Unite! Senior
all of the settings for the KT133 based motherboard, overclocking the KT133a is a far different challenge however (much more exciting)

OP
Keith O. McKeever Jr.

Keith O. McKeever Jr.

Registered
Ok, great thanks for your help thus far! :) BTW...Wild_Andy_C, your site is VERY well laid out and VERY much informative.

My next question is what would be the temperature ranges for the MoBo/CPU combination I am running...i.e.

Max Temp (Before Damage Would Occur) =
Normal Ideal Operating Temp =
Cool Temp =

Mainly I was looking for an average running this setup MoBo/CPU combo....

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
I have a Tampon 700 (he he) oc'ed to 950 on the KT7A-R....

idle temps around 33C to 35 C
operating temps (normal load, say, surfing while running Winamp and AOL IM) about 35-38 C
max temps under load (5x loop of 3DMark2K): 42 C

This is using a FOP32 with generic thermal grease

SickBoy

OP
Keith O. McKeever Jr.

Keith O. McKeever Jr.

Registered
I got generic thermal grease and heat transfer tape yesterday plus a PCI card cooler (soon I'll need a power supply just for fans). Without overclocking the processor...right now I am running these temps...

Idle = 29-30*C
Operating = 31-34*C
Load = 34-38*C

So cooling is doing a fairly good job right now...I am getting ready to crack this one into overclocking mode!