• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KV8 PRO-K8T800 - 3200 Claw.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jess..there an edit button there for a reason......2 posts in a row i can see..but 6 is pushing it a bit dont you think?

I just got this Abit KV8Pro board with the 1.1 revision. I found using the beta 1.5 bios best since I could only get the locks working with it and I was able to adjust the multipliers. Anyway, the cpu is the 2800 Clawhammer, im using OCZ3700EB 2x256, and ive got a custom watercooling setup.
This is my first attempt at building and ocing an a64 and i wanted to know how good it is. Ocing these a64's is way different than my intel systems so it took me some time to figure some stuff out, and there is still some items which I am unclear about.
On to the scores so far..

To begin with, here is some info
8x271.JPG

Here are the sandra scores..
8x272cpu
8x272cpu.JPG

8x273memory
8x273mem.JPG

9x250cpu
9x250cpu.JPG

9x250memory
9x250mem.JPG

I still need to play with the voltages and see where I can find a stable point, but it seems i dont really want to go beyond 273 since i dont want to overdo the voltages. By the way, out of curiosity, whats the most i should be putting in this cpu? At one point I had 2.82 volts running thru it but i backed off a little now. And also, about this ram, whats the most volts I can push thru it? I noticed once i get to around 3 volts that the ddrvtt drops a bit and gets a little strange. Ive heard these boards have problems like these.. when should i begin to worry?- ive seen the vtt get to as low as 1.3 once.

Lastly, Im open to any suggestions. It seems right now I am sticking with the x8 multi and higher ext clock.

Very nice work! You can look at A64's as very similar to Intels voltage-wise. Don't go far above 1.65v. 1.7v is what I'd consider the safe limit for air.

The EB loves voltage. I should think that your board can provide 3.2v, but if the VTT's messing up, then honestly I don't know what to say. However, either way, I would suggest running the memory as high as you can while using 2-2-3 timings. EB is designed to run at tight latencies, so tighten everything but the CAS. You should be able to make it to 240 or so with under 3v. If you can give 3.2, maybe 250-260.

acesea

Very imressive, and good work :attn: :attn: :attn:

thats some good speed out of that 3700eb, and good bandwith, around what timings are you using@max mem?

edit: yeah this board is seeming to have some problems w/ the Vtt voltage, but hopefully some, we can have a Vmod worked out for it.

Vdimm run 2.8 or 3.2 , between these 2.9 - 3.0 -3.1 the VTT is goofed. At 3.2 the VTT is not tracking like it should but it will stay at its max.

You say you could not ujust the multipliers & the locks would not work with the shipped bios. This is strange I have not seen a bios yet that didnt have multiplier ujustment on these boards.

I need to get the bios from my board & post it. I believe its the newest bios I have seen.

Last edited:
Gautam said:
Very nice work! You can look at A64's as very similar to Intels voltage-wise. Don't go far above 1.65v. 1.7v is what I'd consider the safe limit for air.

The EB loves voltage. I should think that your board can provide 3.2v, but if the VTT's messing up, then honestly I don't know what to say. However, either way, I would suggest running the memory as high as you can while using 2-2-3 timings. EB is designed to run at tight latencies, so tighten everything but the CAS. You should be able to make it to 240 or so with under 3v. If you can give 3.2, maybe 250-260.

About the EB... 2.9v at 250fsb stock timings, thats how far I got them... 6-2-2-3 at 3.1 volts 250 fsb, ran 3dmark01 but crashed out of games... more voltage. How much would one consider safe with this ram anyway? I am planning on adding a fan over them in the near future.

acesea said:
... Anyway, the cpu is the 2800 Clawhammer, im using OCZ3700EB 2x256, and ive got a custom watercooling setup.
This is my first attempt at building and ocing an a64 and i wanted to know how good it is.
To begin with, here is some info
8x271.JPG

Wow, nice clock, very fine!

But are you sure you've got a clawhammer? Looks like newcastle to me :eh?:, since it shows only 512KB ²cache
Try CPU-Z, plz

K4mui said:
Wow, nice clock, very fine!

But are you sure you've got a clawhammer? Looks like newcastle to me :eh?:, since it shows only 512KB ²cache
Try CPU-Z, plz
No, CPU-Z is wrong. That's GCPUID by The Coolest, who knows a lot more than whoever wrote CPU-Z to detect every 512k cache part as a Newcastle. He does indeed have a Clawhammer, but with half its cahe disabled. That's what all the first 512kb parts were. The latest ones only are Newcastles, they are all revision CG or higher, and have 512kb of cache physically. It's a common misconception that all 512k parts are Newcastles. This is quite false, though, and CPU-Z doesn't help things.

dreIU, from what I gather 3.3v should be just fine with the EB.

Uh, thank you for that- I don't know the tool, but after a short searching-session, I remembered what this is about: in Germany we called it Clawcastle, or Clawhammer-512.
Sorry for that interruption
newcastle.png

That's how it looks- but I thought they would've all been sold a few weeks ago- sorry again.

Gautam said:
dreIU, from what I gather 3.3v should be just fine with the EB.

Really? I dont mean to doubt you (and I dont :D ) but I am just scared to even htink of 3.3v... thats $350 worth of ram. Have you seen other users go that high with this ram?

So far so good with this board. I have still been playing with it here and there trying somehow to get it to run a little quicker but the processor seems like it doesnt really want to go too high, hence I dropped the multiplier to 8 b/c the ram is more willing to clock. Anyway, for gaming and whatnot what would be better?.. a higher clock speed, or more memory bandwith? Ive been testing for stability now and this is what I seem to get. I dont know which is better than the other. 8x255 or 9x245ish. But it seems that at 9x245~ it needs a bit more volts (the cpu) than the 8x255. I feel a little safer with the 8x255.
Ive ran 3dmark03 once so far and have gotten a score of 6848 with a 9800pro flashed to xt. I still need to mess with the xt bios and find one which works best.
O yea, last thing, i havent tightened my timings yet on the ram as if i try 2 2 2 5 it doesnt seem as stable. I still need to mess with it, i have 3.2v going to the ram but i have no idea what i should change with all the other timings in the bios. You guys who have this board, what timings do you use in the bios cuz there is just so many options for the memory. I feel lost with the timings.

edit: also whats the max volts i should feel safe at feeding the cpu. Currently the chips temps are idle:35 load:~50. Should i not go beyond 1.8v? Or am i fine as long as temps are ok? Speaking of which, what kind of temps are ok on these a64's? Thanks again.

Last edited:
For gaming, I would go for the tightest memory latencies and the highest processor speed possible. Raw memory bandwidth doesn't do much. Generally, I wouldn't go far past 1.7v with A64's.

DreIU, these sticks haven't been out long enough for anyone to do long term testing with them. But, they definitely respond well to voltage, and are definitely using a large die size (.15 or .18 micron fabrication). People have used close to 4v with them, but I would say anything below 3.5v should be pretty safe with them as with BH5. Just make sure you've got good case airflow.

Gautam said:
For gaming, I would go for the tightest memory latencies and the highest processor speed possible. Raw memory bandwidth doesn't do much. Generally, I wouldn't go far past 1.7v with A64's.

DreIU, these sticks haven't been out long enough for anyone to do long term testing with them. But, they definitely respond well to voltage, and are definitely using a large die size (.15 or .18 micron fabrication). People have used close to 4v with them, but I would say anything below 3.5v should be pretty safe with them as with BH5. Just make sure you've got good case airflow.

Why is it that these new A64 processors are limited to 1.7v on air? It is so much lower than the AXP's... I guess it is a completely different processor.

As far as the EB goes... they are not in the way of any fan, unfortunately, they sit towards the top part of the case (top right of the motherboard), behind some CD rom and HDD's. two intake fans are at the bottom front, and two exhaust are at middle back, one intake lower side (aimed at the video card).... I am not sure that much air is getting to them, maybe if I somehow put a fan in there and have it blow towards the bottom of the case directly on them.

Well, I just touched one of the sticks and it is not hot at all, neither is the surrounding area. Maybe I should touch it after some intense gaming and see how hot it will be then.

It's because the A64 simply puts out a helluva lot more heat than the AXP at the same voltage, so you run into diminishing returns a lot earlier.

I am running 1.75v Vcore on this board & have had no probs, but it depends on your temps to. Under prime after about 30 min min will get to 64c but in games it only gets around 55c - 60c.

I have not used this mem so I dont know about the timings, but here is what mine are set to. TRC- 12 , TRFC-14,TRRD-2,TWR-2,TWTR-1,TRTW-3. These are the ones you are not used to seeing. The TRTW is the flaky one, if I take it below the 3 it crashes.

The 2-2-9-3 that you are used to seeing will have to be played with to fined stability & speed balance. The thired one would probably stay at 9 with this board, any lower doesnt really help & setting to 9 helps stability & you dont loose any BW.

Dont let it mess with you ,its just all new to you so take you time & work with one setting at a time.

What do you have your LDT multiplier set to & the VLINK. Also the north & south bridge & the LDT voltage needs to be upped for this board to clock.

I am running 4x on the LDT, & 8 VLINK, my other board would not run 8 Vlink(had to use 4).

My voltages for the bridges & LDT & others are
North bridge - 1.60
South bridge - 2.55
LDT - 1.35
Vdimm - 3.2
Vcore - 1.75
AGP - 1.60

jess1313, i am glad you bring up that ldt and vlink. i had no idea what those should be set at. default ldt in my bios is 1ghz and vlink is 8x. remember i have the beta 1.5 bios so for my ldt, i dont have any 4x multi or anything- the only options under ldt are 1ghz, 800mhz, 600mhz etc.
currently i have the ldt @ 800ghz, vlink @ 8, agp @ 1.55, NB @ 1.55, SB @ 2.55, vdimm @ 3.2, vcore @ 1.75.
i will play with the ram timings and i will up the volts some more and see if i can get some more clocks. as far as the ldt is concerned, what should i run it at? 800mhz or less? i dont really know how that correlates to my oc'ing.
thanks.

Yes raise some off the voltages, NB,SB,LDT volts.

800 is 4x multiper, 600 is 3x, 400 is 2x. Just like your CPU the higher the multiplier the faster it is running. Any way 800 should do it, but you can start @ 200 LDT & work on your bus & clock & then after you get that stable then bring your LDT multiplier back up one step @ a time & make shure its stable. You might want to put Vlink to 4 for now untill you get stable overclock, that way they are not giving you probs.

Just try the voltages & setting the LDT to 800 first & you may get results right then. If not then pull back The LDT & Vlink.

yes i found it as well, but thank for it anways:p

to bad my STUPID PSU has killed to of these boards.i thought the first one was just ramdom death, but after the second one, and the fact that the same PSU almost took my NF7 out, geeee......

EDIT: after further investigation, it wasnot the PSU, im not totally sure of the situation.....

Last edited:
Back