• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT KX7-333r

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Highlander

IS this a good board to go for??
Current machine (see below) is struggling with the Albatron, so I've been told to go for a DDR board.
Will couple the baord with 256 samsung pc 2700, add a further 256 later.
Is this a good board to go for based on my upgrade?? Currently get 8000 3dmark, but game performance is bad with VERY inconsistent fps. (100 one second, 30 the next)
The total upgrade will cost £150

Emericana

IMHO this is still the best motherboard you can buy right now until the Nforce2 comes out full scale. (not sure about the overclocking options of the asus nf2 now)

Gnerma

Originally posted by Highlander
Will couple the baord with 256 samsung pc 2700, add a further 256 later.
Is this a good board to go for based on my upgrade?? Currently get 8000 3dmark, but game performance is bad with VERY inconsistent fps. (100 one second, 30 the next)
The total upgrade will cost £150

Your differences in FPS seem odd to me. Have the latest Via 4in1 drivers? What video drivers are you using? DirectX 8.1b?

I'm currently using a KX7-333 non raid in just about the same setup your speaking of. The only real 'gottcha' this board has is the low max vcore (1.85). There are ways to get around it, you can do a vmod on the board or the chip itself, a pain though.. I use it as a folding rig right now but I have big plans for this board :)

If your going to upgrade now, as said, take a hard look at all of the nforce2 boards.. if you decide you don't like any of those go for this board or an Epox.

OSUmaxx

I really like this board. When I build another folder, I'll get another one. The max vcore is a little low, but I'm at ~1830MHz on stock voltage with my 1600+, so it isn't a problem.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Re: Re: ABIT KX7-333r

Gnerma said:

Your differences in FPS seem odd to me. Have the latest Via 4in1 drivers? What video drivers are you using? DirectX 8.1b?

Using .38 (or summit like that has 38 in it anyway!) (up to date beginning of October) and dir8.1b The card should get 9.5k (had a mail from albatron saying they benched the card (xp1800+, 128 pc 2100, albaron kx400) and they got 9.5k, thats with no O/C. So my machine apears to be lagging a bit (hence the upgrade)
I've ordered the baord (after lookign @ nforce 2, and I decied with my current setup, and the requiremtns I have I don't need USB2.0, 8X AGP etc... the board will support a 2700+, which is plenty of CPU power. The next major upgrade (when the machine becomes obsolete) will be a Hammer rig. So I decided to get a top end kt333 board which will see me for a year- 2years or so, before the next maor upgrade.

Seal

yea me too, i love mine, its ace! VERY good for overclocking and very stable... the only thing is that it dosent read on die temps but its diode temps are pretty accurate though.

Seal

Wood Shop

Registered
Gotta add that I love my KX7. Been running rock stable at 10x185 since the day I installed it.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Yeah I love this board!! running 1.33 t/bird @ 1.45 with 9X multiplier, and 166 FSB. Rock stable, great performance. Well worth the upgrade. UT now runs happily at 100+ fps, but UT2003 demo seems to struggle a little (40-50 fps) and I'm not sure why, but hey I'm happy! Given me a boost in 3dmark (see sig) and my albatron turbo will overclock well too, I think it'll go a little further, now the FSB's are increased.
Well recommended board. thanks for the advice :)

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Just started running my CPU/Ram in sync, wow the performance boost from that! Jumped 1000 3dmark!! This board is great :)