• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit mobo and P4 SL6Z3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hipster

What Abit board is working well with this chip? I had read the Ai7 was the board to use but then I've heard about memory compatibily issues and DOA's & RMA's? I'm very interested in the Abit mobo to run my sl6z3. I've always had Asus but it seems they have this Vdimm issue going??Any suggestions please!

I have two of the regular IC7 mobos and I have a SL6Z3 on one of them. If you don't mind having only a max of 2.8 vdimm, they work good. The Max3 works fine up to 2.8v vdimm.

You know I have spent so much time reading so many posts my head is just a buzz! I'm just looking for a stable machine, I like the idea of being able to choose w/uguru what config to run that way I can bump it up when encoding. That type of setup is only available with the Abit-Ai7 board though-correct?

So far, uguru is only available with the AI7. The AI7 is a good board. I think the DOA's and RAM incompatibility issues are minor.

batboy said:
I have two of the regular IC7 mobos and I have a SL6Z3 on one of them. If you don't mind having only a max of 2.8 vdimm, they work good. The Max3 works fine up to 2.8v vdimm.

I got my 2.4 yesterday, it seems to have the same batch/pack as yours, I would be extremely satisfied with OC of 3.0 if its stable and not going to cause any harm. If so, I see you advise I should probably run 2 sticks of 256 Kingston hyperx. It sounds good to me and maybe change out the CPU H/S and N/B H/S as well? I guess that would/should do it.
The other way would be to get an Asus board but then I would loose that uguru? I've had great luck running my other two system at stock with Asus for a few years now.

If your goal is only 3 gig and if you have no desire to go higher, then you won't need to do anything extra for cooling (except maybe an extra case fan or two). My 2X256 KHX PC3000 does great, it will even hit 3.4 gig using the 5:4 ratio. Your mileage may vary.

We put 2X512 KHX PC3000 in a computer I just built for a friend's kid. I stuck the RAM into my system that has the SL6Z3 and tried 275 FSB using the 5:4 ratio (3.3 gig) and it was perfectly stable. I didn't have time to test it out any further. Anyway, the 512 meg sticks seem to be very good too. The Asus mobos are good too, but I like the BIOS of the Abit much better.

Hey, since I mentioned that kid's computer I just built, here's a pic. One of the COOLEST computers I've ever put together. It has lights on the front that change colors, a light inside and we used lighted fans. The kid loves it and all his buddies are super jealous.

Jesse+new+case+3.jpg

That's a good look'in machine for sure, I'm still way up in the air for what case to use though, I've read so much about using a high quality psu for good/stable OC. and as far as being able to choose between two setup configurations already stored- the only easy way is with uguru "only found on the Ai7".

[BBE]Jimbob said:
I would get the AI7 ive heard alot of good things about it. I ordered one 2 days ago aswell :)

Yeah, I think that is the board I'm going with. I'm really impressed with the uguru thing! It looks very interesting to compliment an already good manufacturer, though I've never used Abit they are a strong manufacturer. I'm not looking for extreme/high clocks just being able to bump 'er up at times to 3.0 will be adequate for me.

AI7 is a, so far for me, a great board! i havent done much with it, but on stock cooling, im getting 2.8 on my 2.4 M0. and temps accoring to the ABIT EQ are only 37'C. But then again, im not doing anyhtign to put any stress on the cpu, just surfin and chattin for now, untill i get better cooling

Back