• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT NF7-S missing capacitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukenukemx

I know this is an ancient motherboard but years ago this motherboard had a power supply go bad and shortly afterwards it no longer turned back on. After some time I started to remove components and now I wanna see if I can revive it, but I forgot what capacitors were there before I removed them. Does anyone happen to have a NF7-S laying around they can look at the missing capacitors and tell me what belongs there? I included a photo with the locations circled.

Abit NF7-S.jpg

All three missing caps are 10v - 1000mfu except for right next to the CMOS battery, that's as it should be (No cap) because it's for a MB speaker.

Make sure to look the back of the board over carefully for caps/components that may have been knocked off - Common problem with these.
You'l have to inspect it slowly and carefully, if something is missing you'll see indication of it being broken off because the solder blob in that spot won't be smooth. You will see alot of spots with nothing to/on them, that's normal but any of these spots that don't look like the rest should be looked at closely.

This solved? If not I've got one in the garage I can dust off for ya and snap a picture

I stuck in 3 capacitors but the motherboard still does what it did years ago. Soon as I hit the power switch the red led on the board switches from red to green and then back to red. Nothing happens again unless I switch off the power supply. Anybody got a wiring diagram of this motherboard?

Sounds like it has a short somewhere to be doing that. Usually they would just power up and.... That's it.
No video or any other signs of life.

Since it's cutting right back off that tells me it's got a component that's bad enough to force a shutdown. One possible thing is the CPU being used could be bad, are you still using the same one as before with your testing?

Did you also confirm you installed the CAPs in the correct polarity?

Wish i still had that board in my collection. Good luck getting it going again.

Did you also confirm you installed the CAPs in the correct polarity?

Wish i still had that board in my collection. Good luck getting it going again.

The caps are in correctly. The board was bad before the caps were removed but I tried to change a mosfet on the board to see if that's what went bad. I pulled the caps out for fixing something else long ago. I decided to give it another shot and put back in caps to see why. The PSU blew up long ago and the board worked for a week and then stopped turning on. I figure a VRM or mosfet got wrecked and needs to be changed. I might try changing all the mosfets and see what happens.

The caps are in correctly. The board was bad before the caps were removed but I tried to change a mosfet on the board to see if that's what went bad. I pulled the caps out for fixing something else long ago. I decided to give it another shot and put back in caps to see why. The PSU blew up long ago and the board worked for a week and then stopped turning on. I figure a VRM or mosfet got wrecked and needs to be changed. I might try changing all the mosfets and see what happens.

Good luck getting her to boot again.

Abit sure made some good boards for the day.

Not sure if you need these any more, but I was going through some of my old pictures of past equipment and thought you might still need these.

abit-nf72-008.jpg

abit-nf72-015.jpg

Those caps can go bad even if not use, they age and dry up or can short inside the can, might be time to overhaul all the caps.

Don't feel bad on how old your motherboard is :D I still have my first brand new computer which is a Legend QDI BrilianX 440BX Socket 1 with a PIII 450 from 1998 and it still works very well:p:p
Now all I have to do is find a decent motherboard for my Toledo 4800+ dual core socket 939:clap:
It is presently on a horrible MSI K8T Neo2-F motherboard with an AGP slot.

Back