• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit TH7-II Links and FAQ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice board, crap performance?

I bought this board after many recommendations.

1.7Ghz P4, 256,PC800, 2 x 40GB IBM Deskstar. Raid Striped. WinXP, Creative Nvidia 2 DDR, nice Antec case, cooling fan's galore!

So far I have found the benchmarks (Sisoft) to be right for the processor,but the Raid side of things, performance is always down! Tried the Madonion system test thingie and the processor was ok, but the disk perf, was mediocre.

Tried drivers, Bios 2.31(Even a hack'd one to match latest driver 2.31 by Tmod) reformatting with different sector sizes, you name it I have tried it. Currently running 16k sector size.

The problem is this, whenever I am in a game eg C&C or Renegade, the damn thing chugs!! Turned off all I can think of AV, etc. Radom reads seem to cause it issues

My old 1Ghz PIII MSI with Promise raid ****ed all over this crap Abit board.
Now I am willing to accept that something is amiss (I think the mainboard is faulty) or I am missing some magic setting somewhere, just wished I new where it was!

One weird thing which I hope someone can clarify for me. If you go to device manager and click on disk drives, then go onto device drivers, make a note of the drivers, then go to SCSI controller and make a note of the driver there, do they match? cos mine don't! the Disk device drivers are MS, the SCSI Highpoint 2.31.

So now the choice? do I just sling it? buy a new board that uses DDR? or stick with this board I have no faith in? To be fair, the board is stable, but so damn slow in use.

All comments welcome.

Paul.

So far I have found the benchmarks (Sisoft) to be right for the processor,but the Raid side of things, performance is always down! Tried the Madonion system test thingie and the processor was ok, but the disk perf, was mediocre

SCSI performance in XP is a major headache for some unknown reason , there is a huge discussion on this subject over at Storage Review

just wondering if anyone knows where to get the 'Mr. Natural' Bios for the TH7-II

any help is greatly appriciated, J@mo

I have a TH7-II, northwood 1.8GHz and rambus.

I can run it @ 2.4GHz but it isn´t 100% stable.
I can run 3DMark but that is about it !

Its unstable even if the rambus is at befult!

Why ?
Can somebody plz tell me what the problem is ?

Back