• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit Vp6 .. PCI 1/5 divider..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Treker

Old School Senior
I'm looking to modify my abit vp6 further, I'm useing two engineering sample adapters that will let me run dual 1.4ghz P3 Tualatin-S chips with 512k cache

On top of that I'm adding 4 sicks of 512mb PC166mhz Ram, now for the tricky part..

I am looking for a way to make the board use a 1/5th divider instead of 1/4th this will let me hit 1.75ghz or better while at around 33 mhz pci bus .. as it is my hard drive kicks out around 155fsb .. though I may be replacing that , it would be nice however to have 166fsb with the pci bus in relative spec...

Anyone know of some bios tricks/hacks/cracks or other chipset modifying ideas?

Cheers,

-Trek

lbbo2002 said:
This site may have what you need. I have not found a way to enable a 1/5 divider myself but this enthusiast site may have with some of the hacked bios

www.vp6-board.com/download.htm

Thanks, I've looked there already and have written the admin for some ideas.. I'm going to start taking a look at the chipset itself and see if it can support 1/5 divider and just needs a bios code to implement it or if I need to grab some circut bread and go at it.

-Trek

When I was considering that board, I looked up that VP6 site. Some guy had a PLL overclocking utility, specifically fo rthe VP^, to change the FSB and the PCI divider.
It allowed for the 1/5 divider at around 166MHz FSB, but as I did not get the board, I do not know if it actually worked reliably.
Can't remeber the name of the program or the creator, but I know it is from that site.

strokeside said:
When I was considering that board, I looked up that VP6 site. Some guy had a PLL overclocking utility, specifically fo rthe VP^, to change the FSB and the PCI divider.
It allowed for the 1/5 divider at around 166MHz FSB, but as I did not get the board, I do not know if it actually worked reliably.
Can't remeber the name of the program or the creator, but I know it is from that site.

I know of a software that lets you change the fsb on the fly but I dont remember it having the ability to get a 1/5th divider.. I'm pretty sure my chipset supports it nativily. its just not enabled on this board.. a white sheet of the chipset would be helpfull..

I'm going to start look'n around

-Trek

I found the software VP6 FSB which lets you dial in your fsb, but there is no software support for a 1/5 divider or changing your dvider at all.

-Trek

I would love to have a 1/5 divider. But I do not even think any chipset had a 1/5 divder when the VP6 came out.

Treker: what Bios are you using, I was under the impression that Tualatin chips would not run in SMP b/c of a bios problem with the VP6 even with two adapters.

cack01 said:
I would love to have a 1/5 divider. But I do not even think any chipset had a 1/5 divder when the VP6 came out.

Treker: what Bios are you using, I was under the impression that Tualatin chips would not run in SMP b/c of a bios problem with the VP6 even with two adapters.

I'm using the yt bios from abitvp6.com - the tualatin chips will run find with my board with the specal smp enabled adapters.. the adapters you are likely thinking of are the non smp adapters.. mine havnt even been released yet.

-Trek

Treker said:

I'm using the yt bios from abitvp6.com - the tualatin chips will run find with my board with the specal smp enabled adapters.. the adapters you are likely thinking of are the non smp adapters.. mine havnt even been released yet.

-Trek

ahh I see, special adapters ;). I was thinking you just had the normal power leap adapters. Do you know if there are any plans on releasing your version?

cack01 said:

ahh I see, special adapters ;). I was thinking you just had the normal power leap adapters. Do you know if there are any plans on releasing your version?

The first working samples where made a couple months ago, I've actually been to busy to get around to finishing this project and finally am now..

I'm not sure if they still plan on doing it or not, luckily I've already got mine :p

-Trek

OMG!! Buyaib!!!

They have one of the worst Resellerratings I've ever seen. 21 pages of reviews for them and their rating is a "2.18" out of 10. Most people like to see at least a "7".

Buyaib has been especially reviled for their RAM mismarking.

Good luck with whatever RAM you get from them. You should definitely run Memtest86 on it. I'd bet you are going to have lots of trouble trying to run four sticks at PC166. That's asking an awful lot from generic RAM.

I really don't mean to rain on your parade but you should be aware of this before you spend a lot of money on this project. Search here for "PC166" (oe PC150 for that matter) and see how people are always looking for sources of decent PC166/150 RAM. There just doesn't seem to be much around.

EDIT - I searched the forums for "buyaib". You should really read some of these posts, especially the ones from the Vendor Discussion and Memory forums sections. These guys appear to be real crooks.

Last edited:
Ralf Hutter said:
I really don't mean to rain on your parade but you should be aware of this before you spend a lot of money on this project. Search here for "PC166" (oe PC150 for that matter) and see how people are always looking for sources of decent PC166/150 RAM. There just doesn't seem to be much around.

I agree, it might be wise to buy some 'real' PC133 2-2-2 instead.
Hell my Kinston ValueRAM rated 133 3-3-3 does at least 148MHz.
Also in a test by C't (they also made ctSPD) they tested 171 RAM modules.....ALL except one failed their tests. (I believe they were all PC133 and PC150 modules).

MDT PC150 was the only one that passed their tests, running at 160+ 2-2-2, while some of their sticks ran at 170+ 2-2-2.

Too bad their prices went up a month or 2 ago (From ~€50 to €92 for 256MB), and that they only make 128MB and 256MB modules of their PC150.

MDT link.

KILLorBE said:

MDT PC150 was the only one that passed their tests, running at 160+ 2-2-2, while some of their sticks ran at 170+ 2-2-2.

MDT link.

wish I could read it.

-Trek

I found PC166 512mb Cas 2 sticks from a company called TwinMos.. emailing to find out where to purchase them :)

The are top grade stuff so I've heard.

-Trek

Back