• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit VP6 Stability Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ddruid

Registered
I've been having some stability issues with my DUal P3 settup. I'm using an abit vp6 with FreeBSD. This machine has always been plagued with problems, regardless of ram/vid/clockspeed. It has 2 Thermalright SK6s coupled with 8k deltas.

The box is currently at a colo and generally drops out of sight after a week, it has seti running on both procs, and continues to do so for around 7 days, I severely doubt its a thermal issue since it idles around 22C.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else has had similar problems. Are there any FAQs, forum threads, or workaround in existance for a setup like this?

OP
D

ddruid

Registered
heh, I jus tntoiced my nice little signature, that's old info... it no longer has that pos gf256 and I've stopped using the vidpin trick or overclocking the thing, since I want it to work flawlessly in a production environment.

hdj

Check the capacitors around the cpu's and voltage regulators. The top should be flat, and they should be clean. If you find anything else you're screwed. (The VP6 is notorious for blowing caps after about a year)

Kingslayer

hdj said:
Check the capacitors around the cpu's and voltage regulators. The top should be flat, and they should be clean. If you find anything else you're screwed. (The VP6 is notorious for blowing caps after about a year)

I've had mine for 14 months and it has been error free. Had a little problem turning of ACPI but that has been fixed with a new bios flash. I run my 800EB's at 1002Mhz each and it's rock stable.

Civic_Addict

Wow. Someone else with the same issues.

My VP6 would just shut down & reboot on its own. I finally got ****ed and bought my P4 setup.

The caps on the VP6 are apparently crappy. This wasn't the first time I'd heard this. The BP6 suffered from similar issues.

Sad really. It was a great board while it worked. Still works, just not very well.

Kingslayer

I've never heard of capacitor problems from either the VP-6 or the BP-6. Doesn't mean they're not out there though.

Like I said VP-6 running at 167Mhz FSB for 14 months now. And my BP-6 is still up and running my wifes computer with dual 500 Celerons @ 541 each. And I bought that thing in 1999.

What do the voltages on your VP-6 read? Only other thing I can think of, you said this box is remote and drops out of site. What network card are you running in it?

DS

Registered
No problems with mine and each cpu is crunching a seti stash,it stays @ 100% load most of the time.

hdj

go ask around over here
They should be able to help.

edit: They actually have a blub on the frontpage about capacitor problems with vp6 and bp6.