• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT vs DFI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kouch

Hi guys,

I am currently a proud owner of an nf7-s rev2.0, however, I am building a new socket A system and was wondering which motherboard to buy. I have heard good things about DFI mobos like getting high FSB's and having 4 sata ports etc...however, I have also heard about many problems they have like cold boots and dead bios chips etc... I was just wondering how widespread these problems were and if these DFI boards are reliable? Also do they have good bios support like the ABIT boards do (the modded bios by the ABIT community).

Thank you

dicecca112

yup there are many bioses at dfi-street.com. I own the DFI board in my sig, and I love it. I went from a ABit NF7-M, and it was a great first timer board. DFI has got the higher fsb achieveablity on it's side. The only problem I have found is that the system temp is read off the hottest place on the board and can be inaccurate, like mine reads 40C, and it's actually 29 in the case. It's got mounting holes for watercooling, so your all set if you do use watercooling. The boards are UV reflective well at least the lan party series, but it is kinda killed by the 4 leds that show boot problems. All and all I love my board. Have yet to try the Sata raid, but it's a great board.

masterwoot

i've had the DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B and Abit NF7-S ver 2.
my vote: Abit. better deal for your money. and the LED's are maddening on the DFI lanparty.

the 4 SATA ports are sweet--if you're gonna use 'em. and the DFI does look way cool.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
I'm considering the DFI Infinity..... anyone want to confirm or deny the boot problems I'm reading about, especially at high FSB? :confused:

OP
kouch

kouch

Thanks for the replies guys,

I am interested in the DFI Infinity and I too want to know if it has any boot problems, dead bioses etc that I have read about. A higher FSB is nice but to me it means nothing if there are boot problems even one out of 10 times and if the bios dies even once a year. Overclocking is all well and good but not at the cost of reliability.

KxrWireless

Registered
Had to do two rma's to Newegg before I got a mobo that wasn't doa. Finally got a good one and running nicely now, but if I had to choose all over again I would get an abit nf7s.

KemoSabe

Registered
Is it true that the DFI boards even with tight ram timings and cpc on don't give as high a 3D performance as the Abit and Asus nForce 2 boards when compared clock for clock???

Amrathe

I am not sure why people say the Abit has issues with high FSB.. Mine is at 242 right now and as stable as can be.

deception``

Amrathe said:
I am not sure why people say the Abit has issues with high FSB.. Mine is at 242 right now and as stable as can be.

DFI's tend to net higher fsb's because of the robust bios features, most notably the option to pump up to 3.3 volts into ram (which makes the LP B/UI series the premiere socket A boards for owners of bh-5/bh-6). Short answer: they tend to be overclocker friendly and require few (if any) volt mods to get the job done.

I've owned 2 NF7-S and 2 DFI's and I prefer my DFI's at all times. The SATA is somewhat slower in the write department, but it's barely noticeable. Besides, I think the rest of the DFI's features more than make up for an error on the part of Silicon Image (not DFI themselves). And no, my DFI is not slower than my NF7-S's clock for clock; typically runs faster. The DFI's were flamed in the beginning but they were simply great boards without the mature bioses that the Abit's have had for quite some time. However, there are a number of modded and beta bioses to fix almost all problems currently plaguing this board. To sum it up: the DFI is an excellent board but it is certainly catered to the enthusiast and not the average user.

KemoSabe

Registered
deception`` said:
I've owned 2 NF7-S and 2 DFI's and I prefer my DFI's at all times. The SATA is somewhat slower in the write department, but it's barely noticeable. Besides, I think the rest of the DFI's features more than make up for an error on the part of Silicon Image (not DFI themselves). And no, my DFI is not slower than my NF7-S's clock for clock; typically runs faster. The DFI's were flamed in the beginning but they were simply great boards without the mature bioses that the Abit's have had for quite some time. However, there are a number of modded and beta bioses to fix almost all problems currently plaguing this board. To sum it up: the DFI is an excellent board but it is certainly catered to the enthusiast and not the average user.

I must say ..deception you make a good case for the DFI Infinity. For someone like me who is pondering getting an nForce 2 platformed board for the 1st time. I have always purchased safely and stuck with VIA based boards combined with Crucial ram and have never been let down. I wouldn't consider myself a techno newb even though I may seem to purchase PC components like one. :D I am willing to try new technologies though I am worried since I get the feeling that the DFI boards only perform well with serious ram and a Bios saviour seems to be a must have item to the extent that some have said the board should be shipped with one. Is this a must have item in that my system could crash and lose all info. :eh?:

Then theres the whole made in China/Taiwan debate. Where is/are yours made BTW and did yours exhibit cold boot issues from stock?

Ideally, initially I would want to use my Crucial PC3200 512mb ram combined with my softmodded AIW [email protected] and if all was stable and functioning properly in games such as LOMAC and AA @ 200-210fsb which would be cool, then i would want to get some nice ram like dual (2x256)OCZ EB PC3700 or Mushkin special 222 and maybe purchase a bios saviour a little later to flash to the latest bios once 6/19 goes official whenever that might be. How likely is it that my plan would succeed??

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

deception``

Crucial ram has been out of the picture for quite some time. Honestly I don't think it makes sense to grab the DFI unless you plan on doing some serious o/c; after all, this is what the board was meant for. If you want a vanilla computer the nf7-s will suit you fine. However, if you plan on grabbing some mushkin special or ocz 3700 eb in the near future then it may be worth a shot.

I am pretty sure that I have a Taiwan board but that matters very little to me. I don't believe in superstitions such as those.

In terms of cold boots: Yes, I have experienced them, but they are few and far in between for me. Typically I leave me computer on 24/7, but if I do experience any sort of cold or warm boot I simply reset the PC chassis and hold the insert key and viola I'm back up and running. I'd also like to point out that the 6/19 bios fixed my cold boots and is indeed very flash safe. However, I went back to my old favorite the 1/21 bios because I still noticed the 6/19 dropping my lan at high fsbs (this is not the DFI's fault as much as it is simply the nforce2 southbridge running hot).

The DFI and mobile XP make a killer combo when paired with the right ram. I have learned that nforce2 mobos take a little more "tinkerage" than my p4 systems but I've always been able to squeeze more performance out of them and at a lower cost as well. The best thing for you to do is to keep your nose in these forums to determine what types of problems you may or may not run into in the future. In terms of the DFI, the majority of support continues at www.dfi-street.com/forum or www.amdforums.com.

Lastly, I think that I should add that Nforce2 based motherboards are very picky about memory; i.e., they love the lowest timings possible. To put it simply: your crucial ram won't cut it and I'm somewhat concerned if you may have problems booting up the mobo with that ram. However, you do have several options. I would suggest one of the three.

1. Mushkin Speical 222: Mmmm bh-6! Should get 250 fsb 2-2-2-11 @ 3.3 volts.

2. OCZ PC 3700 EB: Also a great buy and should not require as many volts as the DFI but the timings will not be as tight; also 3500 EB has proven to be based on the same IC so I'd say shop smart and grab the 3500 out of these two.

3. Adata Viesta DDR 550/PC 4000: Yes I know this ram has high latencies but it should net you around 270+ fsb with a mere 2.7-2.8 volts. At that much fsb I doubt that timings would matter all that much :p

KemoSabe

Registered
Thank you very much for taking the time deception``!!!! :)

Hmmm! you have definately given me something to think about. I wasn't aware that the Crucial ram would be a problem. I must have overlooked that. Looks like I'll have to do more research. The Abit NF7-S is an idea I suppose, though i don't really fancy faffing about with multi wire mods. Also even if better ram were purchased then some more modding would probably be required due to the vdimm limitations. It seems that root may wind up having less of an upgrade potential & be more labour intensive. Oh yeah I have mobile 2500 already so would definately like to churn & burn the little sucker. :D

Funds won't permit a ram purchase as well at the moment hense the reason for wanting to get everything up and running first while obtaining some confidents with the settings before investing in better ram. If crucial ram is a point of contention with DFI's because of higher ram latency issues then my plans just went tits up. Definately gonna take some more thought on my part. I have alotted enough for Tagan PSU just in case power is an issue even though my present Q-tec 550 has been fine powering many components since I bought it many months ago. I'll have to see how it goes I guess.

Also baring in mind that ram seems to be changing all the time and (2x256) Mushkin Speical 222 though very good will be hard to find in 6 to 12 months time when possibly 1gig may be required and who knows how long (2x256) OCZ PC 3700 EB will be purchasable. Based on this & the fact that I understand that "Dem's da' brakes". Which out of the Mushkin Special 222 & the OCZ PC 3700 EB would the best choice to be able to operate with less fuss @ high fsb when combined with a different brand/type 512mb single stick of ram if purchased further down the road or is this not possible??.....The OCZ PC 3700 EB is only ~£5 more than the Mushkin Special 222.

Last edited:

deception``

The QTEC should do you fine but if you need a better psu go for the Fortron 530W hands down; it's only 75 bux over at newegg.