• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about the MCX4000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenjo

Registered
im thinkin of gettin the MCX4000 cooler for my new 3ghz (800fsb) cpu.. but im not sure if its good enough to allowe me, say 500mhz OC without probs ? or should i get a HSF with pelt (tec)..

Heat Sinks helps OC'ing but mostly it depends on the chip itself [methinks].
the MCX4000 is one of top performers but im not going to say it will give you 500MHz OC...
it will cool your chip better than the Intel HSF though...
and cooler CPU means higher OC [methinks]...

ok.. tnx for the info guys.. now anyone of you know if its worth going over to h2o cooling.. my question is.. is the gain in temps so big compared to a MCX4000+92mm fan (good one) that its worth getting instead ? or should i just save up to a Prommie ? :)

Kenjo said:
ok.. tnx for the info guys.. now anyone of you know if its worth going over to h2o cooling.. my question is.. is the gain in temps so big compared to a MCX4000+92mm fan (good one) that its worth getting instead ? or should i just save up to a Prommie ? :)

Often water cooling doesn't yield much except lower noise levels on a P4. It is not smart to exceed ~1.75V with a P4 regardless of the cooling used, and you can run 1.75V with a top notch heatsink like the MCX4000 if your case ventilation is good.

The prometia unit seems to be worth some clock speed over air or water cooling. I have no direct experience with these, but I see some users reporting overclocks with these units that don't seem attainable on air.

All that matters is what your priorites are. If your intent is to wring 3.8GHz out of a chip that only really has 3.6 in it, the prometia is your best bet. If you just want safe cooling so you can run the chip as hard as it will stand, the MCX4000 is fine. In the end how good a chip you have is more important than what your cooling is though, and my impression is that the cost of the prometia would allow you to buy/resell a lot of chips in order to find a winner.

If you are dead set on going the prometia route, you may want to pick up a Thermalright AX478 or a Vantec Aeroflow to use in the meantime. They are about half the cost of the Swiftech, and perform at a very similar level.

well im not dead set on the prommy.. but i used to have an vapochill for my xp1800+ but sold it off :( damn im stupid sometimes.. :)

I think ill go with the swiftech for now an get a better coolin l8 on :) .. only 7 days left untill i know if i can order the stuff i want :)

Back