• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to build this 939 system, need feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoPMatrix

I would just like u guys to take a look over everything before I buy. What I need u guys to do it let me know if u would change anything that would limit my OC. The main goal is max OC with the tightest 1:1 ram timings. (and not insanely expensive ether :p) Also check if everything balanced, I don't want one thing to be completely overkill then the next holding me back.

Originally I was going to go with the A8N SLI but it doesn’t seem to be that great of an OCer so far from what I've been reading, and it has a few kinks to smooth out. I don’t want to wait for the next revision when it might still not OC that great. Also I ditched the PCIe/SLI thing because the expensive of it and the limited number of games it supports so far. So I'm shooting for a s939/AGP setup.

Let me know what u guys think...

$142.00 - Gameve.com
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum NF3 Ultra s939

$187.00 - Gameve.com
A64 3200+ s939 Winchester OEM ADA3200DIK4BI
Week unknown - Hope its 49+ =)

$390.00 - Gameve.com
Gigabyte GF4 6800GT 256MB AGP GV-N68T256DH

$287 - Newegg.com
OCZ EL Plat. Rev 2 (512x2) 3200
Is this stuff still amazing or is there something else now that will run tighter timings w/o a booster?

$90 - Newegg.com
Forton 530w FSP530-60GNA 27/29/18

$39.99 + shipping - Heatsinkfactory.com
ThermalRight XP-90
XP-120 isn't compatible with the neo 2 plat.

$18.00 - Sidewindercomputers.com
Delta 92x38mm FFB0912HHE 71CFM - 42.5dB - 3200RPM

$7.99 + shipping - Heatsinkfactory.com
Artic Silver 5 - 3.5gram

Total = $1162.00

Prices good? Overpaying on anything? Against any of the retailers/brands?

Exsisting Hardware

Mitsubishi DP930SB 19"
ViewSonic p90f 19"
WD 120GB JB 7200RPM
WD 250GB JB 7200RPM
Plextor 708a 8x DVDRW
Lite-on 40x12x48x CDRW
Antec Full Tower - Black w/ home cut window & red CCFL's
4x 80MM Antec Case fans
Floppy
Logitech MX1000
Logitech Wireless KB
Fisher 5.1 200w HomeTheater System
Sennheiser HD212pro Headphones

save 10.00 and get the G. Skill 2x512 LE's...better timings and higher OC...

I am running the LC versions...the LE version is rated at [email protected]/275FSB/HT 1:1 settings

And to let you know...the XP-90 DOES NOT come with 38mm clips...if you have a 900 laying around...you will need to use the 38mm clips from it...

Other then that...looks good...should be around what I am running if not more...

Thanks for the heads up on the XP-90 Glock, I thought I had read before that the mounting clips grab into the bottom of the fan now, I'm ether remembering wrong or that was for the XP-120.
And this is the stuff ur talking about right? I'm actually considering these now :p Guaranteed 2.5-3-3-7 @ 275FSB sounds fun :D Going to have to look up some more reviews tomorrow. Thanks

And ty for the AS5 link Erasmus

Also which brand for the 6800GT do u guys prefer, I can get the Gigabyte($390), EVGA($389), Chaintech($397), PNY($367) for all decent prices.
All of them have reference coolers except for the Gigabytes which is custom with heat pipes. The PNY is stock now though and its the cheapest one, and I was under impression that they are all reference boards anyway which makes them pretty much all the same thing.

Last edited:
MoPMatrix said:
Thanks for the heads up on the XP-90 Glock, I thought I had read before that the mounting clips grab into the bottom of the fan now, I'm ether remembering wrong or that was for the XP-120.
And this is the stuff ur talking about right? I'm actually considering these now :p Guaranteed 2.5-3-3-7 @ 275FSB sounds fun :D Going to have to look up some more reviews tomorrow. Thanks

And ty for the AS5 link Erasmus

Yes, that is the correct set I was talking about...

As for the clips that come with the XP-90...I couldnt get my tornado to stay on no matter what with the factory clips...I just ended up using the 38mm clips from my 900a...fits perfectly now...

Now if you dont really need 1G...G. SKill also sells a DDR600 2x256 set for 150.00

DDR600 (300FSB/HTT) 8-4-4-2.5, some have even been known to hit 6-3-3-2.5 at DDR600

LA's

Last edited:
Not that I've herd, the LP UT 754 was my dream board untill 939 came along and killed that :p
I'd be all over a DFI 939 with AGP

Since you are getting a new video card, why not an 939 Nforce4 with a PCI-e video card such as 6600 GT/6800 GT or X800XL.

ASUS Nforce4 A8N-SLI is available now.

MSI Nforce4 Ultra/SLI and DFI Nforce4 Ultra/SLI should be available very soon.

The Nforce4 Ultra version should be around $150 after initial price hike.

Add also TCCD based memory modules.

A64 Nforce4 939, Nforce3 754, 939 Motherboards (post 11)

For Nforce4 motherboards and if a new PSU is needed, better consider one with a 24 pin connector and higher current on 12 V.

E.g.
- Antec Neo Power 480 W ATX 12V V2.0, 12V1 18A, 12V2 15A, active PFC, 3% reg., with 24-pin, PCI-e graphic card connectors, ~$125
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24480

- OCZ PowerStream OCZ-520ADJ, ATX12V V2.0, EPS12V, 33 A on 12 V, 1% reg., with 24-pin connector, ~$140
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/PSUSpec.pdf

- Fortron Blue Storm AX500-A 500W, ATX12V V2.0, 12V1 15A, 12V2 15A, 5% reg., with 24-pin connector, ~$89
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0

PSU rating estimate for some 939 CPU and system

Does the fortron blue storm have adjustable pot's inside like the 530 does?

glock19owner said:
save 10.00 and get the G. Skill 2x512 LE's...better timings and higher OC...

I am running the LC versions...the LE version is rated at [email protected]/275FSB/HT 1:1 settings

And to let you know...the XP-90 DOES NOT come with 38mm clips...if you have a 900 laying around...you will need to use the 38mm clips from it...

Other then that...looks good...should be around what I am running if not more...

Agreed on the Gskill. However, I have a 92mm Tornado mounted to my XP-90 and had no problems. I used the 92mm clips (comes with 92mm and 80mm fan clips) in the lowest holes on the XP-90. Then cliped them to the fan using the bottom holes on the Fan. The clips do not go up to the top of the fan.

Take a look at the Install instructions HERE

Click on Installation and then XP-90 (K8) on the left.

hitechjb1 said:
Since you are getting a new video card, why not an 939 Nforce4 with a PCI-e video card such as 6600 GT/6800 GT or X800XL.

ASUS Nforce4 A8N-SLI is available now.

MSI Nforce4 Ultra/SLI and DFI Nforce4 Ultra/SLI should be available very soon.

I was originally planning to build a sys with the ASUS A8N-SLI and the Forton 550w and 2x 6800GTs (1 now 1 later).
But so far the A8N-SLI doesn’t seem to be that great of an overclocker, and it seems to have a few things that need to be worked out for the next rev. Also it just had a price jump on monarch from $190 to $230
I've been putting off building my new system sense before NF3 ultra was released. I was always like "when NF3 ultra is out I'll build" Then PCIe and SLI was at the next turn so I decided to wait for that. My current system is really hurting so I really can't wait any longer, its useless for the games I want to play.
Also the 6800GT is about 100bux more then AGP version. (+80 more for the A8N-SLI MB)
If I build the AGP system with the neo2 plat, I'm almost guaranteed a higher OC then with the A8N-SLI. Also besides the ability to upgrade to SLI with the A8N-SLI I'll have a stronger system with the neo2 plat. because of the OC I should be able to get with it.
For me I don't see SLI really being worth it yet. Besides the upgrade abilities of the SLI and PCIe I don't see the extra cost being practical for me yet.
And next time I upgrade I'll probably be replacing everything in the entire system anyway like I'm doing now. My current system has lasted me more then 3 years now.
It was really hard for me to decide to go with an AGP system because I always like to try and make my systems as flexible as possible for upgrading. But this time I think it's just not worth the cash.

Last edited:
I understand and agree that WAITING is tough.

Just for your information,

The MSI Neo4 Nforce4 Platinum Ultra is listed $169 on ZZF (ETA 01/24/05)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241158

The DFI LP UT Nforce4 Ultra-D is listed as $153 on ZZF (no ETA yet)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246486

Nforce4 Ultra boards can potentially run dual video cards.

Also the ATI X800XL PCI-e (w/ 16 pipes) (also not available yet) is listed as $300, once ATI sold it as pre-order for ~$240 with rebate (just giving an idea what the price would possibly be).

I agree with 'waiting' for the DFI nforce4 if you really like to oc the crap out of everything. I've been reading about it over at xtremesystems forums and this board is flying.

The MSI nforce4 diamond did quite well also. There really is no point buying right now since your buying in a period where the next upgrade to hardware(nforce3 -> 4) is happening.

Also, don't get the Asus SLI, way too expensive and not so hot performance.

The DFI Nf3 s939 /w AGP is coming ~ there is just no time frame last I heard. DFI is committed to it though, they agree it is a segment of the market that will sell enough to make production worthwhile, and they have already bought all the Nf3 chips they need to produce the boards!

Best guesses place it anywhere from Feb til April or later though, they are really focusing on getting their Nf4 boards out asap so they can make some dough :)

ya thats the problem, all the sexy stuff from DFI is still a few months away. And I wait no longer, Ive been saying "in a few months that will come out" for the last 2 years. No more. I buy TONIGHT! :D
Even if i get screwed on a few future proof parts I'll still have a badass system to last me a few years.

Back