• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to buy: BigTyphoon or Scythe Ninja

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acurax

I need a top of the line air cooler and I've narrowed it down to either ThermalTake BigTyphoon or the Scythe Ninja.

Posting to see if anyone can help me decide. I like the mounting of the BigTyphoon, just couple of screws. Haven't seen the Ninja's mount in great detail.

I have some of those infamous 120x38 Sanyo Denki fans lying around...would these coolers like those? Or would I be better off with some 120x25 triple blade deltas? I don't want anything TOO loud...

Both of these things are just ridculously massive coolers. btw, I'll be cooling an Opteron @ ~2.8ghz+ if that matters.

Ninja seems to be better heatsink in both performance and low-noise cooling. Sanyo Denkis have pretty good airflow-to-noise ratio, but I think you'd have to use some custom mounting for 38mm thick fans for Ninja - I heard that stock mounting springs are for 25mm thick fans.

Last edited:
I got the Big Typhoon, because unless you want to mess with custom mounting fans or running two fans on the Ninja it doesn't outperform the Big Typhoon, Once you have it all modded up then the modded Ninja will take the stock Typhoon, but a Modded Typhoon will take a Modded Ninja.

Either way cpu temps will be within a degree or two of each other. The only thing to consider is that the Big Typhoon will push air down around the cpu socket cooling all the fets, and caps. The Ninja blows across so unless you have decent airflow all your power circuitry is gonna run much warmer than with the BT.

Considering the performance differences between the two are negligable, go with the cheapest/easiest to use/highest quality HS.

I've been a big fan of my typhoon, its easy to mount, quiet and cools great. I also got it from newegg refurbished for 33 bucks shipped, so it was a great deal. I would go with whatever you can find cheaper, each is going to perform within a couple degrees of each other...

Thanks guys... I think I will get both and see which is the better fit for my case layout. Thanks for the idea on gettin a refurb!

Did they send all the parts with it from new egg refurbished?

They thow this on all the pictures with the refurbished products

"The pictures shown are from the NEW version of this item. If you purchase this Refurbished product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE, meaning it is just the item itself. Accessory items are NOT INCLUDED with Refurbished products. Accessories are shown in the pictures so that customers will know what is missing from the item"

I would consider the brackets part of the item and not accessories, but who knows what they think.

7dcharger said:
Did they send all the parts with it from new egg refurbished?

They thow this on all the pictures with the refurbished products

"The pictures shown are from the NEW version of this item. If you purchase this Refurbished product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE, meaning it is just the item itself. Accessory items are NOT INCLUDED with Refurbished products. Accessories are shown in the pictures so that customers will know what is missing from the item"

I would consider the brackets part of the item and not accessories, but who knows what they think.

They sent everything for me, brackets and instructions all in the stock new box...

Back