• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to pay for new build, WOULD LIKE SERIOUS INPUT B4 I do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jason9922

Hey what's going on everyone. I'm about to pay for this build on Newegg and would like to know what your guys think because I know there are some very smart knowledgeable people in here. Here's the first two items I am getting both of these in a combo on sale for $350!!
Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
PSU: XION XON-700P12F 700W ATX 12V v 2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready High Performance Power Supply
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 Black RC-430-KWN6 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Hard Drives (I already have these two brand new unopened from prior builds I did for multiple clients: 1TB WD 7200rpm SATA hard drive, 500GB WD 7200rpm SATA hard drive, 120GB Kingston SATAIII Solid State Hard Drive V300 2013-2014 special edition model they sent me when I sent a different 120GB Kingston SSHD back because of firmware update issues 2 1/2 years after I bought it! They honored the 3 yr warranty!
Cables: I have 2 LED Lit SATA cables, all my power supply wires are metal mesh covered according to PSU ad, and have wire loom to cover all showing wires.
Cooling: I have 6 120mm BLUE LED LIT case fans, one for each spot that offers one and the motherboard can control all of them with headers.

The only thing I'm sure you've noticed is I don't have a video card. Well honestly, I can't afford to spend anymore right now and haven’t been able to bring myself to pay for this stuff. The only thing that's making me nudge to doing it today is that sale they are offering on Newegg for that haswell i5 Gigabyte motherboard combo for $350! I know I won't be seeing another deal like that anytime soon on one of the best Intel CPU's they make and on one heck of a gaming motherboard. So I'll just use my Intel integrated graphics which I believe are Intel 6400 integrated graphics and I've read in a few places people say they have been able to play lots of games just using the integrated graphics that are on the i5 4670K CPU.

What do you guys think? Any and all input I am really needing because I don't know when that sale on the CPU and motherboard 72hrs is up exactly/
Thanks!!

Get a PSU that won't die in a week. We have a sticky in the PSU section with a list of known-good units.

Past that, looks good, except for the missing GPU, which you mentioned.

PSU: XION XON-700P12F 700W ATX 12V v 2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready High Performance Power Supply
Agreed with Atminside, get a better PSU. If you are only using the onboard video, this one is plenty for your needs. If you're planning on getting a GPu in the future a quality 500w to 650w is more then enough.

Agreed, but even that 430 ought to be enough for a single GPU.
430? Its a 700 watt PSU it says? Why is that PSU not a very good one? It was listed as an iron egg candidate on newegg and I've used the same one it the past with a PCI 3.0 Geforce 650GX TI EVGA 2GB video card and it worked fine but I never did overclock it or anything like that. Hmmm, well ya I can't afford to spend all the money right now to build it up to where I want it to play anything, so I'm just going to wait until I can afford to buy an extremely nice video card. Or save the $200 I was going to spend on one and see what is available when black Friday comes around. Maybe I can get a couple nice video cards and set them up in SLI for what I would have paid for one today come black Friday.

430? Its a 700 watt PSU it says? Why is that PSU not a very good one? It was listed as an iron egg candidate on newegg and I've used the same one it the past with a PCI 3.0 Geforce 650GX TI EVGA 2GB video card and it worked fine but I never did overclock it or anything like that. Hmmm, well ya I can't afford to spend all the money right now to build it up to where I want it to play anything, so I'm just going to wait until I can afford to buy an extremely nice video card. Or save the $200 I was going to spend on one and see what is available when black Friday comes around. Maybe I can get a couple nice video cards and set them up in SLI for what I would have paid for one today come black Friday.

If you don't rush it and u can "hit" two cards for SLI for the price of one, then go for it. Even with SLI and OC, 550W - 600W are PLENTY for your system. What cards are u thinking of though?

What we were implying is that a smaller, more reputable power supply like the Corsair 430 would be more than adequate for your needs (no GPU or single GPU). For less than $25 after rebates, the CX430M is a great buy for your rig. Just check out the reviews for the PSU you're thinking about buying. Two-star average, with almost 50% of the reviews being only 1 star. Plus, the 'Iron-Egg Guarantee' is just Newegg's price match policy, it has nothing to do with the quality of a product.

It's a 430 watt CPU on the link. Not sure how you get 700 w on that link.
I don't understand I guess. I just looked at the item on newegg again and it says it's a 700 watt PSU. I don't know where 430 watt CPU came from. I ordered a 4670K Haswel i5 3.4GHZ turbo 3.9GHZ CPU. The link to my power supply unit is Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and you guys are talking about something different.

I don't understand I guess. I just looked at the item on newegg again and it says it's a 700 watt PSU. I don't know where 430 watt CPU came from. I ordered a 4670K Haswel i5 3.4GHZ turbo 3.9GHZ CPU. The link to my power supply unit is Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and you guys are talking about something different.
Jason I think it's just a little bit of miss communication, that's all.
On point though, you really don't need a 700w Psu and I'm not sure of the quality on the XION unit's. Pcgamer said it perfectly,
What we were implying is that a smaller, more reputable power supply like the Corsair 430 would be more than adequate for your needs (no GPU or single GPU). For less than $25 after rebates, the CX430M is a great buy for your rig. Just check out the reviews for the PSU you're thinking about buying. Two-star average, with almost 50% of the reviews being only 1 star. Plus, the 'Iron-Egg Guarantee' is just Newegg's price match policy, it has nothing to do with the quality of a product.

They're talking about the PSU that Mandrake linked. Its much better than what you had picked, and still more than enough for your system.

Xion is a pretty crappy brand of PSU, don't get it.

Took your guys advice, bought and paid for it all just now

OHHH Ok, well now I understand and listened to your guys because I just ordered everything and there is now a change to the list. The total wasn't too bad either, after mail in rebates and the crazy good deal they had for 72 hours on my motherboard + CPU combo I think I did very well. I've built quite a few computers for other people and am always jealous when I have to give them to their owners because I could never afford anything like this before. Now I am just going to wait and save the few hundred dollars I have left to see what kind of deals come out for Black Friday / days after Christmas to buy my GPU / GPU's (waiting really to see if I can get lucky with a crazy awesome dual GPU buy so I can have what I want so bad, the SLI setup!. Anyways here is the final list I just paid for that's on its way:

* MOBO & CPU: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H + Intel Haswell i5 4670K Quad Core socket Z87 3.4 GHz / (3.9 GHz in turbo mode with no overclocking) $354.98 COMBO PRICE instead of regular $414.98! << Very happy w this and this discount made me pull the trigger. CPU prices on great CPU's never seem to come down in price until years later.

* CASE: 1 x COOLER MASTER Elite 430: Black RC-430-KWN6 Black Steel / Plastic ATX mid Tower Computer Case. $29.99 after $25.00 mail in rebate

*COOLING: 6 bright blue LED AKASA 120mm case fans:I've stocked up over time as an extra here and there from other builds for customers. I paid for two myself so I have $24 invested. I plan to replace the front and rear exhaust fans that come with the case, put two blowing up, one on the bottom directly next to the PSU so there will be two 120mm fans blowing up from the bottom and top, and then one last 120mm fan blowing out the side of the plexi-glass. Not sure about the 6th one, having it blow out, it will be exactly spaced on the glass where the exhaust fan from the CPU will be blowing out. But I think that two on top and two on bottom blowing up might screw up the positive air charge.

*CPU Cooling: Just going to use the stock cooler that comes with the i5 4670k until I get my GPU situation figured out. I'm just going to use the integrated graphics until then so there shouldn't be no need for an aftermarket cooler since there will be no over clocking. Plus I'm sure the 6 120mm case fans will keep it cool.

* Hard drive set up:
Operating system HDD: 120GB Kingston SATA III V+200 Solid State hard drive is what I will use to run in my C: drive as my operating system and any other application drive. I got this for free when I was offered a deal from a Hong Kong supplier, buy 4 get 5th free. Had clients at the time that were willing to purchase the 4 so I got this one free.
HDD for saving & backup: 500GB Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive that I paid $40 for off eBay from someone who sold it as no reserve and new. When I got it, there was no UPC but it's unopened.

* Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series
8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D- $67.44

*PSU: APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Crossfire Ready Power Supply - $40.99 Newegg says I'm saving $40 or 50% so I assume this PSU was more expensive before. Also after reading through the reviews, this one should be good for me and for adding a future SLI dual gaming GPU set up.

All is all I think I did pretty well putting a system together like that no including a monitor $554.00. I'm going to wait on ordering the dual GPU's like I said before, because I think when black Friday and Christmas comes I’ll be able to score a lot better with the $200 + or - $50 I have to spend on the video card part. But I couldn't resist ordering the motherboard CPU combo when I seen the chance. So I'll just use it for now with the integrated graphics and I think I should be ok.

Apevia? You possible got a WORSE PSU than the one you listed... I have to be honest, I am not sure I would power on my system with an Apevia PSU in it...You never EVER want to skimp out your PSU...

Newegg reviews are crap. The only thing one can take from them are DOA results. Otherwise, everyone there pretends to know something and frankly, 99.9% do not.

Again, read the PSU sticky and pick a known good one from there... like, now.

Double-agree.

I would return the PSU before even pulling it out of the box. There are deals out there to be had for quality PSUs. Wattage is not everything. You're wanting to eventually go for an SLI setup, so you'll want more than the 430W we recommended above, but the Corsair Builder series is still a phenomenal product for the price. 600W+ should be plenty.

I've had first hand experience with Apevia. Built a rig for my brother in law several years ago. He insisted on using his case that came with an Apevia PSU (because he liked the neon green color and the RGB LEDs on it). I warned him against it. Less than a year later the PSU crapped out, luckily it didn't take any other components with it. Replaced it with the CX430 (got it for something like $18 I believe) and it's been running strong since.

Other than the PSU, solid build!

Apevia is bad. I have had one go out and kill an AMD board. It worked fine at first, but lasted less than a year.

If that Apevia works a week I'll be genuinely surprised.

Return it, get one from our PSU list. It can be found in EarthDog's signature or stickied in the Power Supplies section.

Double-agree.

I would return the PSU before even pulling it out of the box. There are deals out there to be had for quality PSUs. Wattage is not everything. You're wanting to eventually go for an SLI setup, so you'll want more than the 430W we recommended above, but the Corsair Builder series is still a phenomenal product for the price. 600W+ should be plenty.

I've had first hand experience with Apevia. Built a rig for my brother in law several years ago. He insisted on using his case that came with an Apevia PSU (because he liked the neon green color and the RGB LEDs on it). I warned him against it. Less than a year later the PSU crapped out, luckily it didn't take any other components with it. Replaced it with the CX430 (got it for something like $18 I believe) and it's been running strong since.

Other than the PSU, solid build!
I canceled the whole order and exchanged the Apevia for a 650 watt Corsair model that was only $20 more than I had originally planned to spend. The actual model is CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply.

CANCELED WHOLE ORDER TO REPLACE PSU! LMAO!

I called Newegg, canceled the whole order, well kind of, just told them I didn't want the Apevia PSU and had them add a CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply that ended up being $59.99. Only 20 more dollars then originally spent. So all should be well now right? haha.

That's a much better PSU than the Apevia.

Not the best of the best, but it'll definitely get the job done :thup:

Back