• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Absolutely wierd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Here's my comp; Duron 700 on an A7M266 (BIOS 1005) with 2*256 MB of Crucial PC2100 RAM, a Gainward GeF2 MX400 card. a Netgear FA310TX NIC, IBM deskstar 20 GB HD, LiteOn 24*12*10 CD-RW all powered by an AMD-approved Allied 400W PS. (I've also got a 40 GB HD, a 50x CDROM and an XP 1600+ waiting for my system to become stable.)

I've been having MAJOR stability issues and it got to the point where it killed my HD. I repartitioned and reformatted it and tried reinstalling win98, but I got a whole lot of errors and BSODs during the setup, and when it finally got installed, I'd get Suwin, Parsedls and Mvg32 errors, to name a few. I came here and some people suggested that I upgrade my PS (then a POS 250W), which I did. Still no luck. Then I thought that I might have bad RAM, IDE cables or a bad CD-Rom/RW, but I've eliminated all those; I get the same problems with a different IDE cable, I get the same problems with both the CDROM and the RW, and I get the same errors with either of my sticks of RAM.
The HD works flawlessly in the family computer, but once I put it in my comp, it gets uglier as time progresses.
Sorry that took so long, but I want to make sure that people know how to answer, provided they can.
Also, please don't suggest XP or Win2k. I know that this isn't a software problem.

I think your Netgear is causing the problems. I read somewhere that there were incompatibility issues between Netgear NICs (I believe it was the 310s) and VIA chipsets.

Let me check see if I can find the article and get back to you.

Here is the link

Apparently there is a problem with the VIA 760 chipset mobos and the Netgear FA310 and FA311 NICs.

Last edited:
I got the same problems when I booted without the NIC, and I've got a 761 chipset.
The thread you linked to is kinda slow right now. Sorry if I said anythign that's covered in that thread.

BTW, no OCing either.

Also, I had been using the FA310TX for quite a while with no problems before these problems came up.
Thanks, though.

That is weird. I'd try switching the power supplies from the family computer to your computer just to see if your powersupply may be at fault, again. If it still doesn't work, I'd try a low level format to erase everything from the hard drive. You can probably find one on IBM's website. If that doesn't work, I'd say that your motherboard may be at fault since there's nothing left. Good luck with getting it working again

look if u sya its not software, youve checked dif bios settings, used your drive brand diag utilities, checked your plugs and cables, my guess, and is guess, is that u need to swap out your vid card and see if u still get that problem, try running with just one stick of ram, then the other then look at your MB, if the problem is increasing with running, it could be memory in any of your components, could be your ram

Last edited:
Well, I know that the HD and the PS are fine; I had PS problems before I upgraded and when I used the HD in the upstairs computer without incident.
I'll upgrade the mobo if I absolutely have to, but I want to be 100% sure that it will fix my problems. Mobos are expensive, and I'd probably explode if I bought a new one just to have it give me the same errors as I've got now.
Also, I haven't noticed this with any other A7M266 users.
I'm going to try downgrading the BIOS to 1004a to see if that helps anything. Wish me luck.

I don't know about your mobo, but mine had some problems when putting the DDR memory in. I had to really force them in and wiggle them around to make sure they were nice and tight in there. Otherwise I kept getting freezes and BSODs left and right. Give that a try and good luck.

I had the same problem last sunday night, and it was indeed the RAM, and it was the exact pronlem.

I't way too late in the night to try that now, but your responses make me feel a whole lot better. I was getting really bummed out that I was going to have to spend another US$120 or so on a new mobo, but I'll try your suggestions.
Thanks.

Back