• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC cooled???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

Hey has anyone thought to add an AC unit to their PC? The limitations of water and air cooling is that no matter how many freekin fans you add or how much water you run its your ability to replace it with room temperature air (or water) that is really the big deal. Some of these massive systems with all these fans seem rediculous when all I have to do in my dorm is put my lian-li next to my window (with the outside temp around 35 degrees F) and I can get my 2000+ overclocked at 1.82 Gig to stay below 40C under full load...

In the summer I forsee having to throttle back because I won't have the access to the cold air but what about AC units??? Anyone??

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
your idea is like the vaporchill, you have to worry about condensation inside your case. why not just add an AC unit to cool down your room? then your system will sucks in cool air, and not have to worry about condensation.:D

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
AC

Condensation forms when warm air hits cold surfaces. Making your case cold with an AC could be bad, but not necessarily. Cooling your room would be better. I have a 6 1/2 gallon fishtank (for future H2O cooling) right next to 2 side intake fans. When I fill it with ice water (towel under it to catch all the condensation on the sides), it drops my cpu and motherboard temps 3 or 4 degrees. And since the cold air is going into the computer and touching hot surfaces, there's no condensation on the inside. Same principle as cooling your room.

mustangman

Re: AC

Arkaine23 said:
Condensation forms when warm air hits cold surfaces. Making your case cold with an AC could be bad, but not necessarily. Cooling your room would be better. I have a 6 1/2 gallon fishtank (for future H2O cooling) right next to 2 side intake fans. When I fill it with ice water (towel under it to catch all the condensation on the sides), it drops my cpu and motherboard temps 3 or 4 degrees. And since the cold air is going into the computer and touching hot surfaces, there's no condensation on the inside. Same principle as cooling your room.
If you were to set up an ac unit that cooled the case you shouldn't have any condensation. It would be no different from what you are doing now with the ice water being sucked into your case. My brother and I have been working a small ac unit for one of my rigs on and off one of these days we will actually finish it I hope. If there were major condensation problems they would not put small ac units on the side of main frames as they do some places. My brother has installed these units in the past and said there is no special condesation measures taken and they are not all in climate controlled rooms either.The drawback to these units he has installed is that they are start at around $1000.
If and when we get mine finished I plan on writing an article about it.:)

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
condensation

That depends on if the case is insulated. Its metal, so if its cooled on the inside condensation would form on the outside from contact with warmer moisture-laden air. This condensation could find its way into the case depending on venting or fan arrangements if any.

mustangman

Bassically the way we are setting this up is like a window ac unit is setup and the case will be sealed almost everywhere else. The only other venting will be done in the bottom of the case if needed.